HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Mystery plane

Not sure if this is where this belongs but does anyone recognize this plane.
It's has mono wheel gear with out runners, about 36 to 40 inch wing and length. Fuse appears to be carbon fiber or fiberglass. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Milehi is offline Find More Posts by Milehi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:19 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,243 Posts
It's called a Shafty. Like it says on the wing.

http://www.lbmas.org/Fun%20Fly%206-S...olding_jpg.htm
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:23 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,874 Posts
This appears to be an old fun fly plane for IC engine. There were a gazillion of these types at one time. I'll bet that's the name written right on the wing.

AMA shows a plan by that name from the "Fun Fly Factory", but if this is it, they got the span wrong.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...41248874,d.dmQ
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
Thanks guys! I googled up "shafty" but nothing came up. I am looking for some good pics or info so I can better restore the main landing gear close to original as right now it has a LARGE hunk of plastic whittled out for the gear. Also, I was curious as to the recommended engine size for it. I am all electric now but have an engine or two lying around, may convert to electric however.

Thanks again and good day!
Monty
Milehi is offline Find More Posts by Milehi
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:42 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,460 Posts
I flew a few of those years ago. They are intended to fly slow. But with extreme throws on the control surfaces, the plane will do tight loops and fast rolls. Fun Fly contests have events such as who can do the most loops in one minute, most rolls in one minute, limbo contests, balloon busting, landing closest to the bullseye, and so on. These fun fly planes evolved into planes that can do more than one roll a second, and loops at less than a second too. But the big control surfaces flex easily so you can't fly too fast otherwise the control surfaces will flutter. They usually run large 3 and 4 pitch propellers on the engines.
Many of the planes were setup to use the .25 to .32 size glow engines of that time period.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build