HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:34 PM
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
Help!
Quad motor not starting. ESC maybe?

I have a vid to show what's going on. Basically, all motors idle up normally except one. This one happens to be the recipient of a brand new esc. I have calibrated 3 times but the issue remains. I can rapidly go to full throttle and back and it will kick start the affected motor and as long as i don't go back to zero throttle, it will fly just fine. Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Multiwii pro 2.0
20A House ESC all from Witespy.

Video
Multicopter with bad ESC possibly (1 min 10 sec)
Spacenutz is offline Find More Posts by Spacenutz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Nov 2008
118 Posts
Dodgy solder joint somewhere.
giek2000 is offline Find More Posts by giek2000
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:20 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Is the new ESC identical to the old ones? You don't mix ESC's in a multi rotor so if it's not identical that'll be the reason. Even if it's the same make/model it may not be the same ESC underneath the shrinkwrap
WendoNZ is online now Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
I re-soldered the esc to the power distribution board but that doesn't mean something isn't loose on the FC. I'll check that out.

It actually looks different but Witespy says it is the same under the shrinkwrap.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
BTW the problem is only when starting the engine, once its going i can complete an entire flight without any problems at all.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:54 PM
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
1,938 Posts
Definitely one of those bullet connectors between the ESC and the motor. That twitching is because it can't get the timing through the loose connector to keep it spinning. Had that issue with one of my ESC/motors. Lightly tugged on one of the bullets and the wire popped right out.

As to why it works at high throttle, my guess is that once it gains momentum, the 2 phases of the ESC can keep it spinning even though the 3rd is failing because of the bad connection.
MayMayDay is online now Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacenutz View Post
20A House ESC all from Witespy.
Verify solders on your ESC: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=475
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
That makes sense Mayday. I think i'm just going to ask if Paul will refund that esc.

Thanks Mortimer. That's is exactly what has happened to 3 of my esc's now. The pad gets ripped off and i can't get it soldered back. I may try the hot glue on the two remaining escs so they don't fail too.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:30 AM
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
1,938 Posts
Do a switch check to make sure it's the ESC. i.e. run the motor on a different ESC and run the ESC with a different motor. If the problem follows the ESC you have a pretty strong case for returning it.
MayMayDay is online now Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
I switched out a brand new spare motor and it did the same thing. I'm just waiting on a response now to return the esc. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
I got a new set of HK esc's, flashed them with simonk and now everything works perfectly. I guess it was the bullet connectors on the old esc's. It also fixed a jumpy throttle problem i was having. Its nice to be back in the air thanks for everyones input.