to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:15 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Making preorders wont put them faster into anyones hands...It will just put money in our hands!

My personal opinion about preorders is that it is an unserious way of doing business, usually associated with substandard products beeing rushed to market without proper development and quality control.

But we may just begin a controller preorder run on monday, since all aspects are locked in now and we have 100 percent confindence in the product we are going to offer.

I can say that the "motherload" of controllers will arrive late next week, so we should be ready to fill orders very soon. We did have some problems with delivery of the IMUs, but they have been solved and IMUs are enroute to us now.

The Viacopter gimbal goes into production on monday - and it will thus not only be "Danish Design", it will also be "Made in Denmark", so we can get them fast in highest possible quality and have complete control over production.

Final version (we went through 4 prototypes before we was satisfied with it) was completed yesterday and is working perfectly with the new 2208 motors. Performance is even better than version 1, that was used to make the test video on page 1. And our new 2208 motors is working incredibly good - better than any we wound ourselves.

We invested a lot of time and effort into making it perfect, instead of rushing it to market and taking peoples money for a product that is "less than perfect" - we leave it up to others to do that!.

The result is a controller that is better made, uses the best available components and is tested properly before release. And a gimbal we are 100 percent satisfied with - we strive for perfection and we made sure to get it!

If you are very impatient, there is other deals out there, but I am confident that none of them was made with the attention to detail and support that is associated with all Viacopter/Flyduino/E-copter products - and IMHO that will be well worth the extra waiting time.
Thanks for all of your attention to detail , I must admit I am as impatient as the next guy and I have been looking at the other boards. That said, after looking at your product development and attention to quality I have waited for this release.

Now that the motors have been tested and you are happy with them, will they be available to purchase/preorder with the boards? If so, any estimate on a price per motor?

Thanks again,

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:25 PM
In progress...
Estonia, Tartu County, Tartu
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Since the final version is ready...could we, patient waiters, get more information about weight, mounting way and maybe even one or two pictures to tease us..
Skewp is offline Find More Posts by Skewp
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:29 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Thanks for all of your attention to detail , I must admit I am as impatient as the next guy and I have been looking at the other boards. That said, after looking at your product development and attention to quality I have waited for this release.

Now that the motors have been tested and you are happy with them, will they be available to purchase/preorder with the boards? If so, any estimate on a price per motor?

Thanks again,

Mike
+ 1

BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:30 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

Thanks again,

Mike
The motors are handwound so they will be a bit more expensive than we originally bargained for. I expect to see them launched at 29E inc VAT, but if we can make them cheaper, we will. But they are super-high quality, equal to Tiger and similar brands.

I will have an ETA on the motors during next week, then we will make a decision about preorders.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
When released, will it be plug and play play with the dji phantom? Can't wait to get this gimbal. Is there one version for all gens of gopros?
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:37 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skewp View Post
Since the final version is ready...could we, patient waiters, get more information about weight, mounting way and maybe even one or two pictures to tease us..
Mounting holes are a standard 45*45 mm pattern with M3 holes and thus they should fit most common frames, since that is pretty much the standard for controller boards.

Ill ask Sebastian to post some pictures, but the decision is his, since it is his design. If you take a look at page 1 there is a video that shows the first prototype, and the concept is very similar to that one, with a few refinements.

Production version will be anodized in gun metal finish. It will have insert nuts and flanged bearings pressfitted from factory.

Final weight with a GP3, controller and IMU is just around the 260 gram mark, since the 2208s weighs a bit more than the 2205s we used for the first prototype. This means that it will be something that can easily be carried on a Phantom, Gaui X330 or similar sized quad.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
When released, will it be plug and play play with the dji phantom? Can't wait to get this gimbal. Is there one version for all gens of gopros?
Yes, there is individual front-pieces for all current versions of the GoPro cams. So there will be a version for Hero 1/2 and a version for Hero3.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:44 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Cool.
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Yes, there is individual front-pieces for all current versions of the GoPro cams. So there will be a version for Hero 1/2 and a version for Hero3.
Nice. Does the gimbal come with a battery, if not, what type is recommended? I guess this gimbal has to be driven off a separate battery in the Phantom? Or is it driven off the balance plug of the Phantom's battery?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:13 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Nice. Does the gimbal come with a battery, if not, what type is recommended? I guess this gimbal has to be driven off a separate battery in the Phantom? Or is it driven off the balance plug of the Phantom's battery?
Showing off some pics off a disassembled Phuntom would surely help to get the best solution for it. Usually the gimbal motors are driven by the aircraft's 2-4s lipo.
Either you take an external power supply or you try to split the internal one via harness.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:27 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,988 Posts
The Phantom has a lead already coming off the board for external powering, it just needs to be pulled out from one of the holes where the landing gear attach. It's a feed from the lipo so a 3s supply.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Thanks for the answers but will that thin power cable be thick enough to power everything on the gimbal?
Last edited by beamen; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:06 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,988 Posts
Is going to be hard to say for certain until people have gimbals in hand to test. I don't believe the gimbal will be drawing a lot of amps.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:38 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,199 Posts
Subscribed
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9