HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:22 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
I have Sony Action Cams and a NEX3, 5 and 6...so bring on the goodies

This is the year of the brushless gimble for the masses!
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:33 AM
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jul 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
The "BL gimbal movement" will turn into a wave that'll first wash away many commercial high-price offers - they simply get obsolete.
They will all jump the band waggon and the Chinese will kick in offer the controllers for 19,99
I think that all servo powered gimbals become obsolete. Let's see how the market will get changed after this powerful innovation.
dhano6 is offline Find More Posts by dhano6
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:27 AM
SMILE you're being recorded :)
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
For all guys out there that are designing gimbals but don't have a clue about basic optics;

Please remember that the gimbal goal is to stabilise the image, not the camera!
For that you must have the camera lens aligned to all moving axis and be able to do small adjustments to position.

Do not think that all you need is to balance the camera because it is not about that if you are willing to do image stabilisation and not camera stabilisation. Camera lens must be absolutely aligned with all gimbal axis for any gimbal to work as it should.

Took me many years of professional photography study to learn that, have no doubt I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Most gimbals I've seen to this day, including many expensive so called "professional" models, have totally failed on taking this simple basic optical detail into account when designing their gimbals.

Just my 2 cents

ps. Sorry to steal the thread but if we are looking for best possible results, that is one thing that can't be left outside anymore!
Velociraptor73 is offline Find More Posts by Velociraptor73
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:34 AM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
99€ must be an fair price consider L6234D is 11£ ech, 328p 4.79$, MPU 10€, FTDI 3$ and PCB+assemble,
vilhelmsson is offline Find More Posts by vilhelmsson
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:36 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Did you actually read the first post?

It says clearly that our gimbal is designed to put the lens on the exact center of the roll and pitch axises. We are not amateurs...

As for adjustable camera - that will not happen on the GP version, but since we already placed the lens on the centerlines, it wont be a problem

Adjustability will come on the System/Compact version...balance is very important for this to work good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor73 View Post
For all guys out there that are designing gimbals but don't have a clue about basic optics;

Please remember that the gimbal goal is to stabilise the image, not the camera!
For that you must have the camera lens aligned to all moving axis and be able to do small adjustments to position.

Do not think that all you need is to balance the camera because it is not about that if you are willing to do image stabilisation and not camera stabilisation. Camera lens must be absolutely aligned with all gimbal axis for any gimbal to work as it should.

Took me many years of professional photography study to learn that, have no doubt I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Most gimbals I've seen to this day, including many expensive so called "professional" models, have totally failed on taking this simple basic optical detail into account when designing their gimbals.

Just my 2 cents

ps. Sorry to steal the thread but if we are looking for best possible results, that is one thing that can't be left outside anymore!
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:38 AM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined May 2012
67 Posts
to:Velociraptor73
so how do you accomplish that, some enlightening explanation pls
vilhelmsson is offline Find More Posts by vilhelmsson
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:41 AM
Indonesia, Lampung, Sukarame
Joined Dec 2009
49 Posts
subscribed
benybee is online now Find More Posts by benybee
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:19 AM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Did you actually read the first post?

It says clearly that our gimbal is designed to put the lens on the exact center of the roll and pitch axises. We are not amateurs...

As for adjustable camera - that will not happen on the GP version, but since we already placed the lens on the centerlines, it wont be a problem

Adjustability will come on the System/Compact version...balance is very important for this to work good.
Sorry for those who does it already. But since many gimbal makers, if not all, are reading this post, I tough it would be a good opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilhelmsson View Post
There isn't much secret. Just make sure to consider camera size and lens position and align with the gimbal axis when drawing the project of camera support.

If you need more info PM me. Don't want to pollute this nice thread
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:22 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,754 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for those who does it already. But since many gimbal makers, if not all, are reading this post, I tough it would be a good opportunity.

There isn't much secret. Just make sure to consider camera size and lens position and align with the gimbal axis when drawing the project of camera support.

If you need more info PM me. Don't want to pollute this nice thread
To do a nice working you have to do it custom to the camera you intend to use.
Unless you have to put a lot of "Ajustable" things and it end many time in a too complex "Fit All" gimbal that actual is not good on any.

They acheave that nice integration in their GoPro gimbal since it's build around the camera.
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined Apr 2010
755 Posts
Yep, I agree if you have only one camera in mind it is a lot easier. But for a perfect result you must even make the gimbal specific for GoPro2 or GoPro3. It won't work for both if you can not do some adjustments to camera position.

On the other hand if you have a gimbal that has strong enough motors, is big enough to accommodate most high quality camera and can be adjusted to perfect lens position, then you have the ultimate gimbal for generic cameras.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:59 AM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,754 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I agree if you have only one camera in mind it is a lot easier. But for a perfect result you must even make the gimbal specific for GoPro2 or GoPro3. It won't work for both if you can not do some adjustments to camera position.

On the other hand if you have a gimbal that has strong enough motors, is big enough to accommodate most high quality camera and can be adjusted to perfect lens position, then you have the ultimate gimbal for generic cameras.
Exacly..
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DiaLFonZo-Copter - Announcement
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilhelmsson View Post
Adjustable tray system. The gimbal I am using has one and with just a few adjustments I can switch between a GoPro and my RX100.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 AM
Sir Bira Jones, Brazil
Joined Aug 2011
13 Posts
Once again these guys are doing a great job!
Sir Bira Jones is offline Find More Posts by Sir Bira Jones
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:11 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,979 Posts
it's very easy to design in some sliding weights to adjust the balance and this should be incorporated even if the design is geared to one specific camera.

All gimbals will have slightly differnt c of g.

Consider any wiring associated with each gimbal, fpv camera, video out plugs etc.

I belive you are limiting yourself if you think one C of G is going to work for all.

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:22 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
The camera position is fixed to the front plate, but each axis can be adjusted for a perfect COG - we did of course think about different wiring setups and such.

The balancing adjustment for a GoPro is counted in millimeters in a standard setup.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member