SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:51 AM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtPiranha View Post
Who told you about magic stepper motors in Z15? There are brushless motors almost the same as all we are using in our models but more precise and specially developed for motion control
Please note I did use a question mark. As to where I read that, it was on the Z15 thread. There, the motors have been variously described as stepper motors or a sort of hybrid stepper. I think I also recall a claim of the motors affecting 720 step accuracy.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:51 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Sepang
Joined Apr 2012
153 Posts
Alexmos SimpleBGC craze...

I started buying things. Alexy simple Frame using Aluminium plate (attached) but it works!!. Then I bought AX2208 Motor.... trying to copy Alexy gimbal idea... I could not manage to get Emax CF2805 Motor...
joecarnine is offline Find More Posts by joecarnine
Last edited by joecarnine; Feb 08, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:30 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Hi,

Pre production sets of the Cylllka DIY arrived today
Bricobrac is offline Find More Posts by Bricobrac
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:31 PM
E-Copter
Paris / Nice, France
Joined Aug 2002
2,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecarnine View Post
Alexmos SimpleBGC craze...

I started buying things. Alexy simple Frame using Aluminium plate (attached) but it works!!. Then I bought AX2208 Motor.... trying to copy Alexy gimbal idea... I could not manage to get Emax CF2805 Motor...
Nice work !
Bricobrac is offline Find More Posts by Bricobrac
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
The stepper motors used in machine tools, robotics, and many other controlled motion applications are quite different than our BLDC motors. They are often brushed, permanent magnet motors but they have encoders for contolling movement are are capable of much smaller steps (i.e., cogs) and with precise and controlled movements. And they bring with that a lot more bulk, weight, and cost.

Many of the best gimballed movement camera systems in use now use those kinds of motors but they are much bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Imagine that we are modeling the better systems at more affordable prices, just like do the airplanes and other flight platforms.

Browse some of the hardware here to see bigger gimbal systems and robotics components that are at the lower end as far as costs:

http://www.servocity.com/html/pan_ti...cessories.html

Jack
"the stepper motors used in machine tools, robotics", etc. are not stepper motors. Stepper motors keep the windings energized and therefore use a constant current. A BLDC motor is the same as a stepper motor except for the resistance of the coil and the increased number of poles. The higher number of magnets/arms will reduce cogging. A 200 oz in stepper motor usually has a 10 ohm 50watt resistor (just as an example )in series with each pole. The typical stepper has four poles with two in series and thus has two phases. The BLDC RC motor has three phases (electrically three windings[phisically 9 poles]); a motor a stator with 9 poles wound will have three windings in series; 12 poles with 4 in series.

Talk on the BLDC gimbal has been to increase the resistance of the windings so the motor can function as a stepper. Same effect could be accomplished using a three high wattage low resistance resistor in series with each the motor poles, but at the expense of wasted power; heat. Th eway around that woul dbe to rewind the motor with an high number of wraps on each pole; say up to 100 (depends on the motor and wire size). This would increase the resistance of the winding.

I think I've got it straight. Anyone is welcome to comment to correct me. Thanks!
twbrkfd1 is offline Find More Posts by twbrkfd1
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:25 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
I am working on getting some 800 step motors running with a PWM signal, they are VERY smooth with no discenable 'cogging' (stepper motors do not need encoders/feedback).
But importantly for me, they have power to move larger cameras, modifying a brushless motor with a few poles designed for speed, seems interesting but limited....we'll see!
Either type may well benefit from belt reduction to increase the power, but I fear that the modified brushless will not have the power to even move the belt system.......
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:32 AM
HANDS UP! DON'T SHOOT!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstuff View Post
I am working on getting some 800 step motors running with a PWM signal, they are VERY smooth with no discenable 'cogging' (stepper motors do not need encoders/feedback).
But importantly for me, they have power to move larger cameras, modifying a brushless motor with a few poles designed for speed, seems interesting but limited....we'll see!
Either type may well benefit from belt reduction to increase the power, but I fear that the modified brushless will not have the power to even move the belt system.......
Interesting, and makes a lot of sense in my view. Have you seen this thread?
Stabilized Brushed Gimbal.
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:10 AM
Joined May 2006
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstuff View Post
Exactly my concern...but my expertise is in piloting not engineering. I have faith in all the brilliant minds working this project. Keep up the good work!
Kenpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kenpilot
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:40 AM
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcposter View Post
Wow! thanks for that......now got ANOTHER thread to follow....I'll never get any work done.....
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:51 AM
Freehold, USA
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcposter View Post
Thank you
DorianJ is offline Find More Posts by DorianJ
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Just an FYI.. After rewinding the Hacker style 20-28M with 65 turns of .16 wire my old clunky multi meter gave me 11.9 ohms between two leads...Don't know if it's right or wrong but since it falls in between the recommended numbers I am running with it.

Funny, when testing it on an ESC it sure is a dog, you could never get anything off the ground at this kv

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,677 Posts
11.9 should work well..

I expect us to be able to deliver controller boards very soon - they are enroute from manufactorer.

We only could get a limited batch in the first shipment, but if everything is good with those, we will consider to take preorders for the next batch which is due ultimo february - same time as motors and gimbal kits will arrive.

I will get some prototype motors here this week, results from factory is looking promising. Fabien is working with a Czech manufactorer (Not AXI) on the luxury motors at this very moment.

But here is something that arrived in the mail yesterday from AXI.... I am not sure it is suited, since it has quite a lot of magnetic cog. We are gonna mount it on a proto gimbal in the coming week and see what we can get from it. Like all AXI motors, the quality is excellent!

JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:08 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2012
150 Posts
For others who may have ordered a controller from CSG Shop, I have an update.

I received a shipping notice and tracking number from CSG Shop on 2-4. They are in Florida and I should have received my controller by now.

I sent an email to CSG Shop and they responded that the controller shipped from the EUropa and shipping will take 5-10 working days.
Rod Cole is online now Find More Posts by Rod Cole
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:52 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
11.9 should work well..

I expect us to be able to deliver controller boards very soon - they are enroute from manufactorer.

We only could get a limited batch in the first shipment, but if everything is good with those, we will consider to take preorders for the next batch which is due ultimo february - same time as motors and gimbal kits will arrive.

I will get some prototype motors here this week, results from factory is looking promising. Fabien is working with a Czech manufactorer (Not AXI) on the luxury motors at this very moment.
You guys are making me sick! The waiting is making me go nuts! Aaaargh!

And now Fabien posted a new pic of his sexy gimbal:

Do you really wanna kill me???
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:56 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
That's a nice looking gimbal
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE