HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,164 Posts
i am still debating if i will try to convert my Xaircraft gimbal to brushless motors or sell it and get a complete kit from them.
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:33 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkphoto View Post
What are the chances of combining the motors and controller with Rusty's gimbal?
Balance is key for this to work good (that goes for any gimbal, regardless of the drive method)

I think that Rustys gimbal should be able to be balanced out, due to its adjustable design. It would most likely need some bigger motors than the ones we use for the GoPro version

I will post motor data soon, and I expect Alex┤s own site to grow with information about this in the coming weeks.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:39 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,008 Posts
Is there access to the side or rear ports of the GoPro for live video out cables?
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:41 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
Is there access to the side or rear ports of the GoPro for live video out cables?
Yes, both.
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:44 PM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
Yes, of course there is...not much point if you cant bring the video out or control the shutter.

Both the bacpac connector and the Jacks on HeroHD and GP2 are accessible with angled jack connectors and for the GP3, you can get a angled 10-pin USB connector that will fit nicely with space left over.
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:49 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Balance is key for this to work good (that goes for any gimbal, regardless of the drive method)

I think that Rustys gimbal should be able to be balanced out, due to its adjustable design. It would most likely need some bigger motors than the ones we use for the GoPro version

I will post motor data soon, and I expect Alex┤s own site to grow with information about this in the coming weeks.
Shouldn't be too hard to mount motors to Rusty's gimbal. I was thinking that you could rig something up with use motor mounts that he already makes. However, I am sure that if the demand is up (and it will be once this proves to be solid), he will consider fabing some mounts for the gimbal. At least that's my hope
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:51 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Yes, of course there is...not much point if you cant bring the video out or control the shutter.

Both the bacpac connector and the Jacks on HeroHD and GP2 are accessible with angled jack connectors and for the GP3, you can get a angled 10-pin USB connector that will fit nicely with space left over.
I figured as much, just wanted to be sure!
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~>Miha<~ View Post
This has to be the best invention since the 5╝-inch DS disk notcher.
I think I'll be having dreams about my long-gone Commodore 64!
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
Last edited by jazzboy; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:03 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
642 Posts
These motors look good and can be custom wound.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...5&productname=
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:51 PM
United States, MI
Joined Dec 2002
1,068 Posts
Quote:
So,

I decided to take out a thread about the Alexmos gimbal system that will soon be launched from ViaCopter and Flyduino

Dont ask for preorders or lists - we are serious people, and we just dont begin to sell things that we dont have in stock Availability will be announced in good time before they go on sale.

Here are the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch2iRCWZfKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1ElgkBiAw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66S3Jotf69w

The gimbal is adjustable, so it can be balanced perfectly. It is also designed to put the lens on the exact center of the roll axis - something that is very important for aerial videography. Gimbal design by SebastianJ

Controller prototype - final version will have onboard USB and IMU will be included:

We aim to launch the controller and IMU at 99 euro or less. With a little luck we should have the controller and motors available in 2-3 weeks.

GoPro Gimbal for HeroHD and GoPro2 will be launched first. Also of course version for GoPro3. We dont have an ETA on those, since it depends on how fast our metalworking factory can produce them for us. We are shooting for them to be available inside 3-4 weeks, but its not a promise.

GoPro version is 268 grams with camera and controller. GoPro3 version will be slightly lighter.

We are currently designing gimbal for Compact and System cameras like HX9, Nex 5/5N/7 and EOS M.

Later will come versions for DSLR and Camcorders like CX730 and CX760.

Feel free to ask questions or post suggestions.

We will post details for DIY on how to rewind your own motors later on.
Amazing work guys. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to get one.
jeff2215 is offline Find More Posts by jeff2215
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,199 Posts
FlyingMcCoy is offline Find More Posts by FlyingMcCoy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Indoor 3d
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 PM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
1,961 Posts
i pulled my credit card out on the first post and then there is no pre order list. oh well im ready to swipe. i'lll play with me hex and 3 weeks will be up in no time.
Askyvision is offline Find More Posts by Askyvision
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:07 AM
AutoQuad OS developer
near Ithaca, NY, US
Joined Aug 2004
948 Posts
Someone hinted that I should post this here instead of the AQ thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH
Here is the video of the gimbal itself.
Those motors are nice and fast, very impressive. But what's the high-pitched whining sound in the vid? Is that from the gimbal motors?

I was also wondering which IMU is leveling the gimbal in the in-flight demo video... the new controller or the AQ itself?

Great idea and nice implementation! Looking forward to more on this. Don't have a GoPro, but I know someone who does..

Thanks!
-Max
maximal is offline Find More Posts by maximal
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:26 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2010
1,030 Posts
I do believe I recognize the blurred out motor drivers!!! I've used them in the past.

Would it be the ST L6234? I'm assuming its the 6234 since it has the lowest minimum operating voltage (7V) of the L62** parts.
KKUSA is offline Find More Posts by KKUSA
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:31 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,226 Posts
Max, the proto works with a FreeIMU 0.4.3 as Jussi mentioned in the description of the first video.
I guess the sound is typical 8kHz whining - but as long as it doesn't have any negative effect on the performance I don't care. I'm interested in capturing crisp images in flight rather than recording the sound of the props.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member