HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:50 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Discussion
Week FOUR Spree 2013

Sad, sad. The solution is NOT more guns.

Quote:
Shooting on Texas college campus, reports say

Multiple people were shot at Lone Star College in Texas on Tuesday, according to local news reports.

An alert posted on the school's website warned students to take shelter.

"LSC-North Harris is locked down," the alert read. "Students, faculty and staff are advised to take immediate shelter where you are. Do not enter the campus until notified further."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Police respond to the report of a shooting at Stevens Institute of Business and Arts in St. Louis on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2013. Police say a gunman entered the school and shot a person in the chest, then...

I'll be back after the NRA Spin dies down...

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,793 Posts
Then what the flip are those policemen doing being so heavily armed?
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:59 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Last week in the News

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19...#ixzz2IR6JNHry
Quote:
A 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl who told another girl she was going to shoot her with a pink Hello Kitty toy gun that blows soapy bubbles has been suspended from kindergarten.

Her family has hired an attorney to fight the punishment, which initially was 10 days for issuing a 'terroristic threat.' But her punishment was reduced to two days after her mother met with school officials and had the incident dropped to 'threatening to harm another student,' which apparently carries a lesser punishment.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
A gang related crime. That's the real problem, not guns.

Fail. Epic fail.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:04 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
That's plain dumb, madsci!

But it's just an example of the over-dramatic politically correct lot!

(And also bears no relevance to actual shootings mentioned.. )
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam View Post
(And also bears no relevance to actual shootings mentioned.. )
Sigh. Nobody teaches Math anymore.

8,583 gun murders in the US in 2011. That means that there is an average of about 23 murders per day. Somewhat more, since the 2012 numbers are slightly more I believe.

That means that should the media decide to cover it, you will find on average, that many reports of murder per day. This is not news. It's an ongoing tragedy, not cured by an AWB ban, or a ban on handguns.

The recent spate of reports is due to the recent school massacre, not due to someone actually caring.

But no, this recent and I believe, total sham, "empathy" in listing these reports, is but a ploy to either poke yet again, at a group of LTUP posters, or in the case of the Media, a crass attempt to expand readership, or in the case of the politicians, a crass attempt to expand control.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:28 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
388 Posts
The OP attempts to speak as if the answer is simple. As if we live in some abstract world where guns can be taken out of the hands of those who would misuse them simply through legislation. We live in a world in which hundreds of millions of guns exist. A world in which it is relatively simple to make guns. How in such a world do you stop those who are willing to forfeit their own life to kill others?

On a side note I love how those who believe in gun control as the solution paint their opposition as being some corrupt group by using words such as "gun lobby" to describe them. That sort of labeling is what is wrong with today's politics. There is this attempt to project those on the side of more government control as being on the side of angels and their opponents as the opposite of that. How do you reach sensible solutions when you do that? How do you accept someone portraying themself as sensible and moderate after they do that? In a nutshell that is the problem with our current President.
AustinG is online now Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:47 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,365 Posts
Err... do you not have lobbyists who pursue the aims of the gun industry, i.e. "gun lobby"?

Or maybe people are just making up imaginary phrases..
Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
Borders, language & culture
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
this happened at another gun free zone. this death is on the libs heads.
AintQytRite is online now Find More Posts by AintQytRite
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinG View Post
The OP attempts to speak as if the answer is simple. As if we live in some abstract world where guns can be taken out of the hands of those who would misuse them simply through legislation. We live in a world in which hundreds of millions of guns exist. A world in which it is relatively simple to make guns. How in such a world do you stop those who are willing to forfeit their own life to kill others?

On a side note I love how those who believe in gun control as the solution paint their opposition as being some corrupt group by using words such as "gun lobby" to describe them. That sort of labeling is what is wrong with today's politics. There is this attempt to project those on the side of more government control as being on the side of angels and their opponents as the opposite of that. How do you reach sensible solutions when you do that? How do you accept someone portraying themself as sensible and moderate after they do that? In a nutshell that is the problem with our current President.
Good post, except all sides lobby and lable.
No one is innocent.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
388 Posts
Um, I do not have any lobbyists. Though it is interesting that you use gun industry as a replacement. I would argue that that is another word of negative implications.

Is there not a gun control lobby also? The point is the side of gun rights advocates is always portrayed with negative words like "gun lobby". I would argue that of the two sides having a ready to go agenda the "gun takers" do to a greater extent. They had bills ready to go, they were just waiting on a tragedy to be able to make them more appealing politically. They aren't reacting to an event or to short term changes in public opinion. They are attempting to use those things for something that they have always wanted to do.

The point is that that group is never described negatively in the press or by politicians like our President. Our President consistently attaches nefarious intentions to those who take a different position on an issue than he does. If someone does that is it a surprise that compromise is difficult? I could care less about the NRA or "gun industry" and yet I recognize that most restrictions on guns don't provide a real benefit. Which makes the accusations made of the views that I support being labeled as some kind of agenda of those groups offensive. Yet that is exactly the kind of "leadership" we get from our current POTUS.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
Good post, except all sides lobby and lable.
No one is innocent.
To some extent you are correct. I would argue that nobody has ever done it to the extent of our current President though. It is distasteful to say the least.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:25 PM
Poiltics is a Contact Sport
Best President of the 21st Century
Joined Nov 2007
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQytRite View Post
this happened at another gun free zone. this death is on the libs heads.
So are you also saying 911 was on The Conservatives heads, as Bush did get some heads up?
FlyCush is offline Find More Posts by FlyCush
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:28 PM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCush View Post
So are you also saying 911 was on The Conservatives heads, as Bush did get some heads up?
Of course, that was after Clinton let Bin Laden walk away...
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:32 PM
THE ЯUSSIANS ARE COMING!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy View Post
Last week in the News

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/19...#ixzz2IR6JNHry
Quote:
A 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl who told another girl she was going to shoot her with a pink Hello Kitty toy gun that blows soapy bubbles has been suspended from kindergarten.

Her family has hired an attorney to fight the punishment, which initially was 10 days for issuing a 'terroristic threat.' But her punishment was reduced to two days after her mother met with school officials and had the incident dropped to 'threatening to harm another student,' which apparently carries a lesser punishment.
Waterboarding is too good for the little brat!
rcposter is online now Find More Posts by rcposter