HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Steveis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:17 PM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,625 Posts
Discussion
KK2 Camera Gimbal Control from Transmitter

I saw a few requests to be able to control the CamStab offsets from the transmitter so put a version together.

This will not reset any of your V1.5 settings.

Unless you have CPPM, it uses the Aux input for Roll Offset and M6 for Pitch Offset. Sorry, you can't use it on a Hex as I've pinched M6 and turned it into an input, unless you have CPPM.

If you want to use a Hex, I've got a new version where only the Gimbal Pitch is controlled via the AUX input. You set the Roll Offset in the menu.

The original values you have for Roll and Pitch offset can be seen in Camera Stab Settings but you can't change them unless you go back to stock V1.5. I don't use these values. To see the values it uses, look at the Receiver Test screen.

For the CPPM version, Roll Offset is fixed to channel 6 and Pitch Offset to channel 7.

Unless you use CPPM, Self Level is either always on or you can switch on and off with the Stick, as per setting in Mode Settings.

Be careful if you use M6 as an input. Only connect the signal wire from the receiver to avoid the BEC connected to M1 fighting with BECs on M2-M5.

Two new versions. Aux input for Self Level switch and M6 to adjust pitch offset. One version is for a standard gimbal and one version is for the Super Simple (SS) gimbal (thanks for Brontide for the code on that one). Same rule applies, only connect the receiver signal wire to M6.

Enjoy
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steveis; Apr 16, 2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Updated code for Gimbal Pitch version
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 AM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Steve,

first I want to say thanks for this modification of KK2.0.

As a Noob to Quads + PID and all that I have a few questions:

- is it necessary for each of us to find our own individual numbers in the "old" 1.5 CamStab menue ?

- if so, this should be done BEFORE upgrading to your "new" 1.5 SW, correct ?

- doesn´t the Aux input -now used for Roll Offset- interferes with the SL-switch if set to AUX-channel ?

- am I correct to connect Roll-Servo to M5 + Pitch-Servo to M6 with 1.5_"new" ?

- when I use 1.5_"new" SW with CPPM I can assign any free channel for Roll- + Pitch-Offset except M7 + M8 ?

Sorry for my Noob questions, I am familiar with RC Helis for years now but all about PID-settings is new to me.

BR Jörg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE from 2013-01-26

First I had some problems and I needed some time to figure out how to solve them.

I will describe how and what I did and at the end I will post some pics just in case my explanation aren´t that clear cause english is not my native language.

First I will say that the new Steveis SW is INCREDIBLE ...
and a big Thank You to Steveis for this creation

and YES: you can change the Roll-/Pitch-Offset during flight and it will stabilise this new position.

Pic. #1
Befor I flashed to Steveis SW I fitted the CamStabSetup to the needs of my gimbal at the orig. SW Ver 1.5.

Than I flashed KK2 with Ver 1.5_new from Steveis

Pic. #2 + #3:
As I use CPPM I only have one cable input to KK2.

On the right you can see:
M1 ... to M4 are set according your needs for Ail, Thro, Elev. Rud
M5 ... a SportsBEC is connected to provide power for the Servos
M6 ... not connected
M7 ... Roll-Servo
M8 ... Pitch-Servo

Pic. #4:
In my Tx I assigned Channel/Servo 5 + 6 each to a Knob/Poti to make the servos move.
EndPoints + servo travel are all set to max

I hope I can do some video soon.
Video is here:

Cons:
What I miss is the possibility to change flight-modes (Normal <--> SL) during flight via a switch as it was possible in the orig. Ver 1.5
possible now with the new CPPM-Ver, if you use CPPM

To my knowledge so far this new SW only works for Quads. If you fly Hex or Okto you need another solution.
up to Hexa is possible now with the new CPPM-Ver, if you use CPPM

I hope my explanations are understandable ... hope they helped

BR Jörg
Seebodener is offline Find More Posts by Seebodener
Last edited by Seebodener; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Videolink implemented
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:35 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,564 Posts
Hi Steve,

nice work. Is added it to the flashtool's repository.

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:13 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,105 Posts
Gimbal control firmware

Flashed this to my KK2 board a couple of days ago and couldn't get it to work. Tried re-flashing it and realised that there are TWO buttons to start the flash on the flash tool, one for a file stored on your own media and one for flashing from the repository. Guess who was using the wrong button? Anyway, after that dawned on me, I finally flashed with the correct firmware and it all works! You do need to adjust the channel centers and throws to get the camera positions that you want, but once you've done that, it all works as designed. So, a big thanks to Steveis for all his work on this version!
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
15 models+
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2007
3 Posts
Is there a way to only adjust the pitch axis of the gimbal and still be able to use a toggle switch to select/deselect auto-level using the AUX port?

Or by any chance use M5 and M6 as input from reciver and leave the AUX to do the auto-level toggeling.

I'm going to try out your firmware as soon as possible.

Cheers!

/Magnus
Mangs is offline Find More Posts by Mangs
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:10 AM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mange View Post
Is there a way to only adjust the pitch axis of the gimbal and still be able to use a toggle switch to select/deselect auto-level using the AUX port?

Or by any chance use M5 and M6 as input from reciver and leave the AUX to do the auto-level toggeling.

I'm going to try out your firmware as soon as possible.

Cheers!

/Magnus
Magnus;

to #1 question: no, IMHO so far you can´t do so with existing software versions, because that would be a mix of 2 software versions, but you can only flash KK2 with one version at a time

to #2 question: if you can change TX and RX to communicate via CPPM, install CPPM-SoftwareVersion (as I did) and you have the AUX-switch to toggle between normal- + SL-mode

Jörg
Last edited by Seebodener; Feb 27, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:36 AM
15 models+
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jul 2007
3 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Jörg!

Unfortunately I don't think my Turnigy 9X and Corona 2.4GHz combo is capable of CPPM. I could be wrong, i got the radio 2 days ago and haven't hacked the corona module into it yet. And I got like 20ish corona receiver and 3 modules spread throughout all my models so switching module brand isn't an option right now.

Would be sweet if my combo worked tho
I'm going to flash it with ER9x if that makes any difference btw
_________

So, to be 100%, is this the right way to setup the KK2.0 with PPM:

Input (from RX):
1-4 is the usual (ail, thr, elv, rud)
Aux is Roll offset
M6 is pitch offset

Output:
M1-4 is the usual on a tri- and quadcopter.
M7 is Gimbal roll servo
M8 is Gimbal pitch servo

/Magnus
Mangs is offline Find More Posts by Mangs
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:04 PM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Magnus,

try and investigate whether your radio is able for CPPM, besides, you don´t have to go CPPM with all your RX
On my Graupner MX-20 I have only the Quad on CPPM, all other modells are connected `the old fashion way´ (so far).

If I recall correct, your listning is correct.

Don´t forget to give power -I use a separated SportBEC directly connected to M5 and to the flightlipo- to one of M2 - M8 to power the servos, otherwise the servos won´t move a bit.

Here is a little video that shows how to tweak the system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=D4FbEojvNJw
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
Hi Steve,

I'm using all M1-6 (hexacopter) but it would be really useful if you could release a version with the AUX mapped to Pitch instead of Roll. Pitch camera gimbal control is the most useful (at least for me!)

Cheers!
Jesmond
jesmond101 is offline Find More Posts by jesmond101
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:04 PM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,625 Posts
Pitch only is on the list of things to do.
Can you use cppm?
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
Can you use cppm?
What is CPPM? I am familiar with CCPM. My remote is JR9X. Currently I'm using the AUX to switch ON/OFF self-levelling, but if you compile a version with PITCH OFFSET I would use the AUX to control it.

It would be really great if you do a pitch only version!
Last edited by jesmond101; Mar 24, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:14 AM
* fly fast - live slow *
Seeboden in Austria
Joined Dec 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmond101 View Post
What is CPPM? I am familiar with CCPM. My remote is JR9X. Currently I'm using the AUX to switch ON/OFF self-levelling, but if you compile a version with PITCH OFFSET I would use the AUX to control it.

It would be really great if you do a pitch only version!
for further informations:
- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107372
- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438962

basically it´s another way of connecting RX to FC, but your TX/RX must be able to communicate over the so called "sumsignal".

IMHO the TX sends all the servo-signals/channels in one signal (= as a sum) and the Rx decodes this signal again into the different channels.
The big advantages are: less cables (only one from Rx to FC), you can expand the channels from e.g. 6 up to 9 (or more ,depends on your Rx) with the same Tx/Rx combination in use.

May an expert please correct me if I am wrong, cause I am not an electrician.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:51 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
Whilst not something I need, is it possible to remap some of the input side headers if one is using CPPM to be able to run an octo?

Either just to set them for outputs for the extra ESC's or to run the cam-stab servos from and using M1-M8 for the ESC's?

The down side to using the input headers for servo's is you would then need to make sure you're running your KK2/receiver off a decent BEC so you don't get brownouts, hence while the first is less logical to setup it may make more sense
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis View Post
Can you use cppm?
Hi Steve! From the replies got here I cannot use CPPM - my transmitter/receiver don't support it.

Would you be able to compile a version with just Pitch control on AUX? Pretty please
Old Apr 03, 2013, 01:37 AM
Philippines, NCR, Quezon City
Joined Apr 2012
662 Posts
Geezz.. I'm lost here. I'm using DX7s with AR6100 receiver. My current setup is hexcopter with stabilized roll, and pitch control thru AUX1. It would be great if I can also stabilize my pitch while controlling it.

So how do you do it if I try CPPM?!

I hope someone would show a layout because I'm not familiar with CPPM.
DYORD is offline Find More Posts by DYORD
Last edited by DYORD; Apr 03, 2013 at 01:47 AM.