SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,303 Posts
Discussion
Enlarging a micro jet CG?

Hello,

I have a 16" span scale FJ-1 Fury. Even with the CG almost on the LE it is still a little tail-heavy in flight.

My question is this.................. if I build a 48" span version, will the CG still be so far forward? So would it be safe to maiden the big one using the little one's CG?

The section used on the micro is Jedelski.

Thanks Steve
stegla is online now Find More Posts by stegla
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:07 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,655 Posts
Why do you think it is still tail heavy with the CG so far forward?

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:09 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,303 Posts
Kevin

The model is unflyable with the CG any further back..... As I found out the hard way!

With the CG where it is the elevator is still very sensitive. This improves with noseweight.

Steve
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,643 Posts
Was the micro Fury rather under powered ?

As I can see that giving a similar flight to a rearward CG.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,859 Posts
The tail surfaces have a rather high aspect ratio. Especially at small scales, they should be in a Reynolds number range significantly different than that of the wings. I think that the larger version will not be as extreme as the original, and will have a greater allowable CG range.
[edit:] Specifically, airfoils at lower Reynold numbers have a smaller critical angle (http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/...adc57640/m1/3/) so there's the possibility that the tail will stall before the wing (if the camber or AOA is unchanged) making stalls a bit harsher.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Last edited by Brandano; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:07 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,303 Posts
There is plenty of power and there has been a power upgrade since this video.

FJ-1 Fury Micro R/C (0 min 39 sec)

The high aspect ratio tail with low Reynolds number sounds interesting! The stall is not an issue and the Fury is a joy to fly.............. that's why I want to build another, but bigger.

Steve
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:58 AM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegla View Post
Kevin

The model is unflyable with the CG any further back..... As I found out the hard way!

With the CG where it is the elevator is still very sensitive. This improves with noseweight.

Steve
How much throw do you have on the elevator? Is the elevator linkage solid and free? How good is the elevator servo? Did you try reducing the throw?

I've built lots of small chuck gliders, some with high AR tail surfaces operating at way lower Re, and I've never had to use a CG that far forward. In fact, the predicted neutral point always seems to be very, very close.

How torsionally stiff is the Jedelski wing?

Something just doesn't seem right. The high AR stab will make the elevator more sensitive.

Kevin
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jan 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:53 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,191 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

I have a 16" span scale FJ-1 Fury. Even with the CG almost on the LE it is still a little tail-heavy in flight.

My question is this.................. if I build a 48" span version, will the CG still be so far forward? So would it be safe to maiden the big one using the little one's CG?

The section used on the micro is Jedelski.

Thanks Steve
Simply put - the sensitivity will lessen as the size of the model increases- all other factors being equal-
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:35 PM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,303 Posts
Indeed lessening the elevator throw has helped a lot and I'm sure It could be reduced some more. But as it is the elevator is now just lively and I'm used to flying it that way. Take the cg back and you get a white- knuckle roller-coaster and a model to repair.

The model uses the onboard servos on a 6400 brick, one servo for each elevator half. There is about 4mm throw each way with 40% expo. The wing is reasonably stiff, soft 3mm balsa front section and .8mm medium balsa rear. Probably much better than foam.

Steve
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:39 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,530 Posts
From the CG location and the fact that you still get issues in flight and the way it flies in the video I'm thinking along the same lines as Kevin in thinking that the model has some other issue at work which you're confusing with being "unstable".

At high speeds or G loads that wing looks like it might be able to flex and thus cause the model to trip over its own shoelaces. Or are the issues you have occuring at low speeds when gliding?

More description of how it acts and the flight mode at the time might help a lot. Because as it stands now I agree with Kevin that there's something else at work. There's simply no reason why the CG needs to be located virtually at the leading edge like you're showing.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:56 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,655 Posts
Quote:
Indeed lessening the elevator throw has helped a lot and I'm sure It could be reduced some more. But as it is the elevator is now just lively and I'm used to flying it that way. Take the cg back and you get a white- knuckle roller-coaster and a model to repair.

The model uses the onboard servos on a 6400 brick, one servo for each elevator half. There is about 4mm throw each way with 40% expo. The wing is reasonably stiff, soft 3mm balsa front section and .8mm medium balsa rear. Probably much better than foam.

Steve
The high aspect ratio stab will make the elevator sensitive, plus it looks like the elevator is a big % of the stab chord? I think you are mistaking elevator sensitivity for instability.

That wing airfoil will also have a very high Cm, far more than even a flat bottom section. It is possible that the wing is twisting in flight. That could make it prone to tucking at higher speeds.

You can check the CG by rolling inverted. Doing it in a 45 degree climb is best, if it has enough power - the drag of that wing section will be very high inverted. If it takes more than a smidge of down elevator to hold the 45 degree angle when inverted, then the CG is forward. Even the amount of down stick required for level flight inverted is a reasonable test. If the CG is too far back, it won't need any down elevator, or even up to maintain level inverted flight.

The fuse is very big and quite far forward, so it will be slightly destabilizing in both pitch and yaw. It looks like you might have used Dan's CG calculator spreadsheet, in which case the fuse should have been taken into account when calculating the neutral point.

Using a different wing section on a bigger model will remove the big wing Cm, and require less up elevator or negative stab incidence, whichever you have. But the high aspect ratio stab will still make it more sensitive to elevator, especially if it also has a large % elevator.

Kevin
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:03 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,303 Posts
When flown with an unstable CG position the model misbehaves in the glide making it very difficult to get back down without crashing. A bigger model would not have survived the maiden.

The Jedelski section worked flawlessly on a slightly larger Gnat that could go very quick indeed without twisting.

As is, the little Fury flares nicely with good elevator control when landing, also it glides on and on and you have to fly an aproach like a larger model. This tells me that the trim can't be too far off.

I shall try flying inverted next outing.

What do you guys think might happen if I balanced a big Fury, with a regular aerofoil, in the same place as the little one? Might the big fury be unflyable due to being nose heavy?

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Steve
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:47 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,191 Posts
Quote:
When flown with an unstable CG position the model misbehaves in the glide making it very difficult to get back down without crashing. A bigger model would not have survived the maiden.

The Jedelski section worked flawlessly on a slightly larger Gnat that could go very quick indeed without twisting.

As is, the little Fury flares nicely with good elevator control when landing, also it glides on and on and you have to fly an aproach like a larger model. This tells me that the trim can't be too far off.

I shall try flying inverted next outing.

What do you guys think might happen if I balanced a big Fury, with a regular aerofoil, in the same place as the little one? Might the big fury be unflyable due to being nose heavy?

Steve
Nope-- being nose heavy will likely just require more UP elevator to get desired glide. The stability will increase not decrease .
The bigger it gets, the easier it will be to sort out.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:12 PM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Nope-- being nose heavy will likely just require more UP elevator to get desired glide. The stability will increase not decrease .
The bigger it gets, the easier it will be to sort out.
Thanks Richard.................it's time to start building that big Fury.

Steve
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:15 PM
agnotology
Joined Jan 2007
3,655 Posts
Quote:

Steve
Did you reduce the elevator throw on the TX, rather than mechanically? The resolution of those little servos is not that great. You should use the full throw and mechanically reduce the deflection for the best resolution.

A larger model with a "regular" airfoil will just have less nose down moment from the airfoil. It should fly with the CG where you have it easier than the little one does.

Try making a little chuck model of the airplane to convince yourself the CG will work back closer to the neutral point, maybe 10 to 15% static margin.

Moving the CG forward would make the elevator less sensitive. 4mm each way is still quite a lot on a little tail surface with a big elevator like that on a short coupled airplane. I fly my 62" pattern airplane with less deflection than that, on an elevator with 4x the width. It is always better to measure deflection in degrees, since that is consistent across sizes. 4mm each way is still a lot on a little model with a high aspect ratio stab.

With less elevator throw, you would likely find the CG can be placed at a more normal location, and the handling would improve. Especially for a bigger model that you might be rolling more often, a more rearward CG will make the rolls far more axial, and inverted flight easier.

Kevin