HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:19 AM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
846 Posts
Discussion
Questions on H9 Jackal 50

Am thinking of buying the Jackal and converting to electric. Some questions for Jackal flyers:

The H9 web site says a wingspan of 46.9 inches while the online manual says a wingspan of 63 inches. Which is correct?

Find it hard to believe the airplane is going to weigh at least 8 lbs. What weights are forum members getting?

Is there enough room in the nose to install an electric motor such as an Eflite Power 46? Am wondering if diameter is a problem.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:12 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,204 Posts
Bill, the one I worked on used a Scorpion 4525 and that fit just fine. If you look up the spinner size, that will give you an idea. I never weighed the plane, but it's big, has retracts and takes a pretty big battery pack, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 8 lbs. Motor, esc, battery, retracts/struts = 5 lbs.
8 servos, rx battery and airframe has to be quite a bit more than 3 lbs.

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:17 AM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
846 Posts
Steve, thanks for the reply.

When you say the airplane is ``big``, does that mean a 5 foot wingspan as in the online manual or a 4 foot span as on the H9 website?

Bill
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:08 AM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
846 Posts
Just got a response from an H9 rep concerning the Jackal wingspan. Excellent customer service.

It is 46.9 inches as on the H9 website.

The online manual is incorrect. The manuals placed in the retail boxes should all have the correct wingspan.

Bill
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,204 Posts
I just meant big in general terms. There's some more info in this thread- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434071
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
Suspended Account
Auckland - New Zealand
Joined Dec 2010
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
I just meant big in general terms. There's some more info in this thread- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434071
That Jackal is a Monster Steve
Adrian_M is offline Find More Posts by Adrian_M
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:11 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
846 Posts
I saw the older thread on the Jackal but did not want to hijack it by asking elemental questions.

The 2 stroke Evo .61 weighs 25.5 oz with muffler. The Power 46 motor and a 4000 mah battery weigh 26 oz so the power arrangement is a trade off. The spinner is 2.25 inch and the Power 46 is 2 inch in diameter so the Power 46 should fit OK in the nose.

It would be a while before I installed retracts, starting instead with the factory fixed gear. I see the Jackal fixed gear have plastic bases looking the same as the EFlite P51 fixed gear which failed on me after 6 landings. Normal landings, nothing hard, but both bases failed on the same landing, shearing off at the base of the socket. I replaced them with metal bases from the EFlite Texan and have had no problem since. Will do the same with the Jackal.

My experience with foam wings has not been good over the years. Flew various Sigs back in the 1970s with foam wings and you eventually wound up with a huge ball of epoxy around the landing gear blocks trying to keep the blocks in the wing. The foam would fail around the blocks on repeated landings. Maybe the foam technology has improved over the last 35 years.

Anyway want to get all these questions straight in my mind before proceeding.

Bill
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:37 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,204 Posts
The power 46 is quite a bit smaller than the 4525, so no problem with it fitting. It will run on 6s with maybe an 11x8 prop but even this is over the recommended limit.

Most guys who get this plane want something that goes pretty fast. Don't expect too much with this motor. I'm sure it would fly ok, but it may not break 100 mph.

Adrian, I gotta talk Erik in to bringing it out to fly. It's been a while.

Steve C