SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:28 AM
The Newb
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Question
RC Lightning EPX (What KV for best speed/performance)

Hi guys, new to forum, Gotta question though.

I bought a RedCat Lightning EPX drift last December and immediately changed out the tires for some better traction on road tires. I don't want to drift as it turns out.... I want speed and bashing. So I went to my hobbystore, being a newb they sold me at Sidewinder SCT(short course truck) brushless kit...

Why they sold me a SCT for an on road vehicle is beyond me.
The motor is also a 3800KV, and although I keep hearing people say it is capable of speed, I have yet to see it. 30MPH is about where I think I am. Stock gearing on 2S lipo. (3s not handled through ESC).

So now I just purchased a 7700kv sidewinder3 for hopes of getting what I want. But now I am worried that the 7700 only accepts 2s. Then I thought maybe I shoulda got the 5600kv and put it on 3s. I am so new to this and so confused as to what I need to do. Can someone through some knowledge on me?

I have no idea what my tranny ratios are...but i think stock gearing is something like 64Spur/18Pinion(some close to that, may not be exact)
SleezyK is offline Find More Posts by SleezyK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:24 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Why the desire to run 3s? You can get TONS of power/speed on 2s. 7700kv on 2s is over double the RPM (and double the speed if you run the same gearing) of the 3800kv motor. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get about 50mph out of it easily on 2s.

kv is just RPM / v, and has no direct relation to power output. You will have to run shorter (smaller pinion or bigger spur) for higher kv.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:09 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,289 Posts
On 3S you can get the same power to the motor at lower current so less heat buildup. But I agree, on 2S you can go pretty fast.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan