HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:12 AM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
87 Posts
well here are some photos of the sail, did not take pics of every step but you will get an idea, plus just something to look at, I dislike picture-less threads...
willey is offline Find More Posts by willey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:21 AM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
87 Posts
I have installed all the lines, but I will be replacing them all down the road with a little heavier line and go white, you cant see the black to well from just a few feet away. The white line you see here is what TT give's you for the sheets (I think thats what there called??) Inside the hull to the sails.

On the Boom Vang, they call for 4 3/4" from center of ball to center of ball, its more like 4 7/8" to get the boom at 90 from mast.
Last edited by willey; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2006
546 Posts
Just sat here waiting for every post to see your pics as the awesome yachts comes together peice by peice

Oh how i wish we got models before you over the pond

Dan P.s keep up the good work
offshore1987 is offline Find More Posts by offshore1987
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:34 AM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willey View Post
Tork rod molded in Plastic, pretty tuff stuff, I already rammed the keel in a door jam - no damage
Just curious if it had lead in it. I would love to see an all up weight on the boat once done.
rcsoar4fun is offline Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:38 AM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
87 Posts
All lines need adjusted and or shortened (to long from the book) it was late last night and just threw it together so I could get some pics to ya all. I will post more and better pics in a couple days.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:42 AM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore1987 View Post
Just sat here waiting for every post to see your pics as the awesome yachts comes together peice by peice

Oh how i wish we got models before you over the pond

Dan P.s keep up the good work
Thanks Dan, where you from?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:47 AM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun View Post
Just curious if it had lead in it. I would love to see an all up weight on the boat once done.
actually I thought it wound have it to, It def seems like it needs no more weight, we;ll see in the high wind, also we'll have to weigh it when I'm done, I am curious also
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2006
546 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dan, where you from?
England, Uk

We always seem to get models after your guys But we can see what they are like before we buy with all your reviews

Dan
offshore1987 is offline Find More Posts by offshore1987
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:14 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,485 Posts
Quote:
Boomer, I was thinking a "BIG Gift Certificate" from Tower and or Thunder Tiger would be nice!!

Thanks for the other info too.

As for the servo.... I was thinking the Hitec 785HB? any other thoughts from anyone would be great, I need to place an order. I have a Hitec 605 or similar for the rudder.

Battery....6v, Receiver... Spektrum M200 Marine.

Everyone...This will be my first winch type install so any advice is very welcome

I am not a drum winch guy, so I really am not the right person to respond other than to suggest contacting some one like Servo City to get some direction. There are a few fellow forum members that have a lot of knowledge on boats of this configuration and if they are reading this thread could provide some good insights.

I think these boats like faster servos than standard sailboat configurations. I know that on boats of this size having enough torque is important - 185 oz/6v at minimum. The closer I can get to 200oz. the better for my 1M boats, which all have servo arm type sail servos. I have had a few boats with servos with a drum on top Monsoon and Serenity. Don't have those boats any more. Whatever the factory installed is what I used. Wasn't crazy about the way they were set up with no tensioning devises. Sheets could get fouled inside the drum cover in light wind situations if I wasn't careful.

Dick L. , Martin are you guys out there?

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 10, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,168 Posts
I usually use the HiTec 815BB with double arm for my multihulls. I've seen/looked at the 785 series (drum) but fell asleep watching it go from end-point to end-point . I purchased a GWS S-125 one turn for a try, but never got it on my original 1 Meter trimaran before it was sold. It probably is marginal, unless you want to use it for a jib winch, and a different one for the main (2 channels needed - plus one for rudder). I like the big arm winches as there is less problems and they are easy to swap out. Not sure I would mount a drum horizontal - prefer the vertical mount and let excess sheeting collect in a container box directly below the winch. You could sheet in and let excess sheet store in box, and if you sheet out, there might be a way to let it free-run for light air. Not sure on that one, but wanted to look closer. There would be no need for tension device either, and I suppose with a lathe you could fabricate a new drum to hold all the sheet wrapped on the drum. Again - haven't tried it in light air.

As an aside, I'm not certain why anyone would mount a drum so it is horizontal. I've never seen a winch in the position (think Jeep front bumper, etc.)

In any case, you will want something to react fast so you can "dump" the main/jib if/when needed in a gust. Drums are slow unless you want to pay double or triple the boat cost for a good RMG from Australia.

WEIGHT - somewhere I saw 5 lbs. all up for this, and if true it seems like a heavy boat. I know the Brits and others were sailing at 7 lb. or so but that was a Formula48/Mini40 class which is much larger than this boat.

All above my personal opinion.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:31 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,277 Posts
Tower Hobbies lists the weight as 7.5lbs, which is why I asked about the lead keel. That would be VERY heavy, but seems wrong. I will we will have to wait and see.

I believe you as asking about the drum itself as being vertical, with the rest of the winch horizontal? There is actually one benefit to this. Slack sheets tend to be the bane of any drum winch, on a normal installation the line tends to fall off the drum and wrap around the servo spline. If horizontal then it just stays on the drum. Sorta.
rcsoar4fun is offline Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:22 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I think these boats like faster servos than standard sailboat configurations. I know that on boats of this size having enough torque is important - 185 oz/6v at minimum. The closer I can get to 200oz. the better for my 1M boats, which all have servo arm type sail servos......Boomer
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...60deg_55g.html

Nt sure if our torque measurement methods are the same, but this very cheap winch has worked well for me in a couple of applications. The 200 ounces you mention converts to 5.6 kilograms - this winch is rated at 13 kilograms

It comes with a pretty small drum - if you double the drum circumference that would halve the torque but double the line travel....

Regarding the winching setup - continuous loop operation is the ONLY way to go IMHO - a little more complex to establish but simple and trouble free
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:36 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...60deg_55g.html

Nt sure if our torque measurement methods are the same, but this very cheap winch has worked well for me in a couple of applications. The 200 ounces you mention converts to 5.6 kilograms - this winch is rated at 13 kilograms

I make 200 oz/inch about 13 kg/cm? http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000006849 is a servo I came across surfing the net. Looks strong and fast enough though fairly pricy.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:07 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
I make 200 oz/inch about 13 kg/cm? http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000006849 is a servo I came across surfing the net. Looks strong and fast enough though fairly pricy.
Ah silly me

Converted the weight but not the distance

Ah well, it has been a long day here, that is my excuse......
Will soon be beer o'clock!!!!

The servo you identify is pretty gold-plated - maybe an RMG IS the answer..?
Does this Tri REALLY need so much grunt for the sailwinch - I understand the need for quick reaction time, but it does not have a vast amount of sail area....????
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:15 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
Something a bit cheaper is the http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/cml...tId=0000006203 in a bigger size and perhaps not so lghtning fast but with enough torque to handle just about any model boat size (35 kg/cm). Definately overkill for the trimaran.
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards