HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:04 AM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobydog6507 View Post
You are not invited...you don't have a Tri.
Hey BrushlesHeaven, I told his mother he is acting up again You bring whatever you have. Where do you guys sail up there in NY?

well, I started the volans last night, I'm at step 4, the time consuming part is that I am sealing every screw that I can to keep that water out. couple more steps and we'll be on to the sail.
willey is offline Find More Posts by willey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
542 Posts
Willey...if you are at step 4....where are the pictures of the progress so far??

BrushlesHeaven and I are members of the same club so we harass each other as a hobby.

When I said we aren't that far as the crow flys, I meant that if you go north, across the lake to Cambridge Ontario, its not that far. Here's a link to our clubs page.

http://www.grandrivermarinemodellers.com/Home.php
dobydog6507 is offline Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:50 PM
Lipo Power
Joined May 2009
287 Posts
I am in Mississauga Ontario, the place you can find on map, not sure if I can say the same about Cambridge Ontario.... Maybe if you have IPhone maps... :-)
We have few ponds in area to run sailboats and our club pond somewhere out there where today you could get there only by quatrocopter....
Snowing here like crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by willey View Post
Hey BrushlesHeaven, I told his mother he is acting up again You bring whatever you have. Where do you guys sail up there in NY?

well, I started the volans last night, I'm at step 4, the time consuming part is that I am sealing every screw that I can to keep that water out. couple more steps and we'll be on to the sail.
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:16 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobydog6507 View Post
Willey...if you are at step 4....where are the pictures of the progress so far??

BrushlesHeaven and I are members of the same club so we harass each other as a hobby.

When I said we aren't that far as the crow flys, I meant that if you go north, across the lake to Cambridge Ontario, its not that far. Here's a link to our clubs page.

http://www.grandrivermarinemodellers.com/Home.php
LOL!! I thought so... I kinda figured you were buddies, I have a friend that just got a seawind maybe we will travel up there sometime for a weekend trip?? We'll bring a few seaplanes too.

Hull is complete, putting some pics on next....
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:45 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
Steps 1-3 I did the first night, all hardware/screws were sealed with either white silicone , epoxie or CA. The hatch bolts were sealed with silicone between the nut and hull, after they were snugged up I then applied a mixture of resin and cotton flock (thick) over the head of the bolt on the inside mainly to keep the bolt from turning as you tighten up the hatch thumb nuts (aluminum).

I also reversed the alum. rudder bearings, I put the bigger one on the bottom, just seam to work/fit better. The control horn rides on the small alum bearing just fine, also greased the shaft and bearings with a waterproof marine grease, suppose just plain old vaselein would be just as good.

more on the way....
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:59 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
Applying the bulkhead...here the pics will say alot... I hope?

I did have to sand down/reshape the bottom of the bulkhead to fit around the hardened resin mixture i added the night before.

Also just before adding the bulkhead I mixed some resin and flock and put some ahead of the bulkhead to support that sharp corner to help it from cracking, found that tip from a Seawind forum, though this does not have the stress of a heavy keel moving back and forth,

I thought well... just in case
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:09 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,542 Posts
Nothing wrong with TT's kits. Upgrade with new sails, rig hardware & a faster winch & you should have a very nice rig on the water.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:15 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
READ,READ.... On the railing DO NOT drill all holes at the same time as I did, drill the first hole - install the first railing peg, mark the second hole carefully then drill the second hole then install second peg then mark the third and so on. If the hole are off just a little the railing buckles. I had to make 3 out of 4 holes bigger so it would relax enough so that it wouldn't buckle

I also recommend 30 min. epoxy for this step NOT ca as they say

remember... you can clean up epoxy (when wet) with rubbing alcohol and not hurt your finish unlike CA

ALSO NOTE... I drilled all the holes on the deck at the same time, I had an extra hole just in front of the keel nut so I added another plastic winch, witch I looked on the box they have NONE.... so the plastic winches are optional I guess maybe I should remove them?? I will have to do some research I guess, by scale these winches look to be about 4'-5' high LOL!!!!
Last edited by willey; Feb 08, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:27 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
Nothing wrong with TT's kits. Upgrade with new sails, rig hardware & a faster winch & you should have a very nice rig on the water.
Hello Herrmill, your right, this is a veeery nice kit, my first TT, I am not real familiar with sailboats / weights but this seams alittle heavy?? compared to the seawind I built, I know it's not apples to apples but - just saying. But it might be just fine.

Thunder Tiger did there homework on this one, so far everything fits like a glove instructions well done also.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:49 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
The servo box goes together like a glove... sweeeeet! love that laser stuff. After CA'ing it together I coated it with resin then wiped off all the excess with a couple paper towels, scuffed up the hull where it was going, then mixed up some epoxy resin with some crushed fiberglass (made thick) and attached tray to hull with it.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:04 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
Sponsons... very easy to put together, took me awhile to find the letters for the Front Right, Right Rear, LF, LR you just have to look there hidden inside. I drilled then applied a blob of silicone over each hole then screwed together.

also... take note that the bolts that hold the crossbeams to the sponson brackets are different lengths, (inside outside)

Last edited by willey; Feb 08, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
542 Posts
I'm loving the step by step pics and descritptions.....should be a great help to others when the build their boats.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:11 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
Here it is together and where I am at at the moment, I applied the decals and temporally screwed the the sponsons to the hull to get a visual... looking pretty cool!.

By the way forgot to mention... all the white lettering on the red is factory silk screened (paint) - not decals

Next step is the starting the sail.... till then
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
542 Posts
So the hulls are fiberglass and the crossbeams are plastic....correct?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:21 PM
warbirds
Joined Jul 2007
86 Posts
It's all plastic, but different types. The hulls and sponsons are very similar to like the Seawind and Fairwind, but a tad thinner, the crossbeams are more like milk carton plastic (strong)