HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:40 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
DobyDog
Glad you pointed this new boat out to us. I had not noticed it. I like to knowing what new boats are out there. To Thunder Tiger's credit they are keeping their Sailboat mix active with some new models, and dropping others etc.

The only TT product I have owned was a Victoria, which was not a bad little boat. Nice kit to build and even stock it sailed pretty well. When upgraded they can be good little race boats.

Their other boats get varying and mixed reviews, but you have to give them credit for hanging in there in these tough economic times. Joysway seems to have gotten more into producing sailboats as of late, I've noticed some dialog on thier new Focus

Here are a few pictures of that boat and comments made by a Ramon a modelmayhem.com forum member on his two boats. Just and FYI:
Here is a link to this thread if you are interested in reading more of his comments on modifications he has made.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/for...?topic=41175.0
"A few small mods have been made - following the fore stay breaking on the intial outing all the rigging was replaced with 100 lb braided line. Batteries have been increased to 6v to improve the winch speed and the winch system in the first boat was changed to a continuous loop.
Biggest drawback was the link type fittings which are closed as a butt joint which can and did open and pull apart. This was solved by opening them up and twisting out of line slightly. Then, holding in a vice, the inner faces were filed at a taper to allow them to be closed 'over centre' which has proved very successful.
Other refinements have been to provide better adjustment of the sails - not exactly necessary - just 'me'."

Joysway is very large toy manufacturer that has made a number of attempts to make RC yachts with mixed or at best marginal results - in the sense of making a model that sails properly.

Eye candy is a proven marketing approach and these builders have figured out that color sells. Look at the Vela, the graphic on that boat have caught the eye of many a looker!

It's all good fun.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:18 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
509 Posts
Hi Boomer, I stand corrected the TT Victoria (apologies to owners) it is a good boat.

However, It seems all other reviews of TT sailing boats that they were all flash-in-the-pans, on the market for few months then complaints and reviews killed them.

That Joysway Focus looks like a "quality" build boat and seeing youtube vids they look like they sail well for at a very reasonable price.

Cheers Alan
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:56 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Alan
I agree with your observations on TT products in general. I really liked the appearance of their ETNZ boat but read enough reports of holes being in the wrong place, mold flashing issues I opted not get one one. I do like the boats looks and ended up getting a HK Monsoon - the poor man's version - which interestingly once I made the needed fixes turned out to be a decent 2nd boat.
Sure looked nice at the very least. I have since moved on to more interesting boats but enjoyed it as learning tool and for less than a hundred bucks, it was a heck of a deal!

All of TT's 1 meter's seem to be the same boat's with different graphics and trim.
China Team, Voyager and the ETNZ look like clones. Lots of Voyagers out there.

Anyway, I do like knowing about new boats and learning about boats I am not familiar with, I enjoy seeing these kinds of posts.

I have been watching some youtube videos on the tri-hulls and my interest in them is growing. They sure go fast!

Boomer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:45 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
This site has some nice looking multi-hulls kits - bit on the pricey side but look pretty good.:
Nothing personal here - but when new sailors become "jaded" by the pricing program advertised by Hobby King (who market towards new comers) anything priced realistically "SEEMS" pricey. If you want to buy a piece of plastic that someone has turned into a "performance" boat (not) for under $400.00 - good luck and don't complain. Then when you look at a good boat that has a lot of design development such as those being sold by Siri via his RCSails web page consider the amount of time he has spent to produce a kit version of a Formula48/Mini40 multihull and compare his pricing/performance with the other production kits on the market - Oh .... that's right, there are no complete kits that are available.

Now to put his boats/prices into perspective ....... here you have a boat (Let's take the yellow Triton as example) that is made up of three (3) hulls - NOT one, and you tell me if you would spend the time to develop a design, make molds, and then produce some well sailing boats for the amount he has his listed. Basically, the trimaran in discussion is basically THREE Marbleheads. Tell me where you are going to find a Marblehead at those costs that will provide any performance even close to a multihull - and at those prices.

Fortunately I have been involved with Siri since he first set up his business and also with one of the persons who provided design development. So if it is a cost issue, before posting something that seems to put the boat at a price disadvantage, just take a look at what one meter IOM boats cost, and then multiply by three and add the cost to add another 10 inches of length to to each hull to get an idea of what true costs are. Sure, any bathtub can be a one design class with another bathtub, but once compared to true performance boats - the "shine" begins to dull.

In the case of RCSails, it is one far east guy that is turning out performance based boats at reasonable costs. If you don't believe me - just make your own, keep track of costs and hours and let's have a real discussion of what you have discovered.

Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Dick
You jump to quickly. When I make mention of being "pricey" it is only in regard to my budget, and has nothing what ever to do with the value of that item.

By my posting that particular builder's site and product, I am quietly saying I like it! I like expensive things, but boy my wife really likes expensive things!
Where I find myself is making careful choices and saving for things I like that are "pricey". I would like to own a Sprinta at some point, but that boat is to me, on the "pricey" side of my scale. So, that becomes a "wish list" item and perhaps one day, I'll be able to share a few notes on that beauty.
I shop, trade, build and sell, whatever it takes to experience as many of the boats I admire in these very challenging times. No need to defend the quality or value of those boats. Not with me any way.
As I said before, it's all good.
Boomer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Oct 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Nothing personal here - but when new sailors become "jaded" by the pricing program advertised by Hobby King (who market towards new comers) anything priced realistically "SEEMS" pricey. If you want to buy a piece of plastic that someone has turned into a "performance" boat (not) for under $400.00 - good luck and don't complain. Then when you look at a good boat that has a lot of design development such as those being sold by Siri via his RCSails web page consider the amount of time he has spent to produce a kit version of a Formula48/Mini40 multihull and compare his pricing/performance with the other production kits on the market - Oh .... that's right, there are no complete kits that are available.

Now to put his boats/prices into perspective ....... here you have a boat (Let's take the yellow Triton as example) that is made up of three (3) hulls - NOT one, and you tell me if you would spend the time to develop a design, make molds, and then produce some well sailing boats for the amount he has his listed. Basically, the trimaran in discussion is basically THREE Marbleheads. Tell me where you are going to find a Marblehead at those costs that will provide any performance even close to a multihull - and at those prices.

Fortunately I have been involved with Siri since he first set up his business and also with one of the persons who provided design development. So if it is a cost issue, before posting something that seems to put the boat at a price disadvantage, just take a look at what one meter IOM boats cost, and then multiply by three and add the cost to add another 10 inches of length to to each hull to get an idea of what true costs are. Sure, any bathtub can be a one design class with another bathtub, but once compared to true performance boats - the "shine" begins to dull.

In the case of RCSails, it is one far east guy that is turning out performance based boats at reasonable costs. If you don't believe me - just make your own, keep track of costs and hours and let's have a real discussion of what you have discovered.

Good point, then lets keep the same thing in mind when comparing RTR boats to more expensive ones as well...it works both ways....
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:33 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,371 Posts
Oh ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobydog6507 View Post
Interesting.....there was a thread a few weeks ago commenting on the lack of manufacturers producing sailboats.....

Now when a manufacturer does....comments like this come out..

So I would only have to assume from this comment, that the this person gets everything in their life for free.

Newsflash: any company that advertises anything is after peoples money...duhhhh.
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:42 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,371 Posts
Oh ya

Everything I want is pricy Just ask my wife.(Oh YA She doesn't know about it)
I know Im kidding myself LOL
Bob
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:25 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
486 Posts
Hay guys lets not get touchy about this. Whats pricey to one might be pocket change to another. My $500 ODOM is cheap to maybe a IOM but pricey to a HK buyer. I myself have to ask what the price is, I'm not the guy that says if you have to ask how much is then you can't afford it.
I'm sure most molders,sailors know how much work and how much it costs to make a new model. I have a set of H16L frames here and just adding up the cost of materials to build one gives one a idea what it cost to start making a kit for sale. Material, labor, and a small profit and the kit is over $300 and to a lot of people that is pricey. How about a RTR boat for over $8000, I tend to believe that is a little pricey for a most sailors but not for others.
Hircsailor is online now Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:10 AM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
So does anyone have this boat yet? Any reviews, pics, or videos? I'm very interested in it but want to make sure it's a good on the water.
Theibault is offline Find More Posts by Theibault
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:56 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Tower Hobbies has a very good return policy. So if you got one and it was not up to your expectations or had some issues, you would most likely be able to return it.
Just sayin.................
Boomer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined May 2011
582 Posts
Hope to see one tomorrow at a Metro Marine Modellers meeting - will try to get some pics for you folks.

Curious to know how they perform when overpowered. I've got quite used to not thinking about rescue tactics with my keelboats ...

With a little more sail area but another half a pound over the Victoria, I wonder which would be the faster of the the two?
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined May 2011
582 Posts
Had a bit of a look. Hull is THICK! Paint is THICK!

Stock up on sandpaper if you want rid of the paint scheme (don't you?!?)...
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Tower Hobbies has a very good return policy. So if you got one and it was not up to your expectations or had some issues, you would most likely be able to return it.
Just sayin.................
Boomer
You want a guinea pig right?
Theibault is offline Find More Posts by Theibault
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:18 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,382 Posts
Perhaps you could think of it more in the light of being a pioneer or an adventurer rather than a "guinea pig". I think that has a better ring to it.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:41 PM.