HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore1987 View Post
Personly bomer id rather set it up for use on the lake thats a 30 second drive from mine rather than drive miles just to sail ( bit pointless ) the reason for the tri was to use a shorta keel or could of gone with a mono deep keel but then thats a boring route imo

The nice thing about are lake is that we have a walk way around the lake so no matter what way the wind blows it will drift back as long as the mast dosnt sink and dig into the silt, so making that bouyant is the best way rather than not bothering and having the rig rip its self off. Ease of use is the main aim and less to worry about means more fun sailing.

Rex bottle shounds good but want to keep the weight down to a min dont mind if it looks funky its just gota be something for perpos rather than looks

Going to fit a jib stay as well to put some bow in the jib sail that should help

Dan

Dan
Hope you know I was kidding~ That's why I used the happy faces.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:51 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Here is a video of a German Tornado class catamaran sailing. The boat has a very nice balance - even in the gusts, and the person on the sticks has had a bit of experience. Even when it buries the bow, there is little tendency to stuff it so far it pitch-poles. My only change would be to drop the foot of both sails and get the center of effort of the sails closer to the deck to reduce heeling.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/60u6BP6mcNs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Corrected link
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Dan
Hope you know I was kidding~ That's why I used the happy faces.

Boomer
Sure did lol like wise

No other vids kinda alittle tempted to take her out today for a quick sail but the winds are alittle high and maybe one of the worst directions for are lake hmm

Just fitted the jib line to pop some bow in the jib looks like it will help alot

Dan
offshore1987 is offline Find More Posts by offshore1987
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:36 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post

Sorry - thanks for the correction.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
199 Posts
im aiming to be at the lake around ten in the morning till just before twelve if anybody fancys a sail ? ive got a new to me northwind28 to try out !
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:34 PM
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
Did get out today for alittle go, was rather blustery 12/15 mph with some random gusts as always on the lake, the vids arnt that good tbh rather hard to try and sail it nice and use a phone so just set the sails and tryed to film best as could

Its rather nipy when sailin it propley and was pushing it to see how far she would lean and it didnt turn over but come close acouple of times. You get to a point when the down wind sponson is under the water all together and the strut is just sticking out as its zooming along and down wind you can get it spot on so you only have the middle hull in the water with the outa two flying Hopefully oneday can get someone to film it while im on both sticks pushing it to show how good it really is. One thing i kept noticing though is the head sail should be set up diffrently from the way it comes, a good few times the leadin edge was having a flap, wouldnt of taken alot if thunder tiger hadnt of sealed the ends of the front edge with stiffeners for the line points....

Thunder tiger volans (0 min 29 sec)

20130218 140951 (3 min 32 sec)

Thunder tiger volans (0 min 30 sec)

Thunder tiger volans (0 min 39 sec)

Sorry they aint very good best i could do Winds dropin for tomorrow think a few boats are going down to the lake for a sail Though its sayin 4mph winds so not the best for it

Dan
Last edited by offshore1987; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Johns post above
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:59 PM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
88 Posts
Nice Job Dan! looks much better with the heavier winds
willey is offline Find More Posts by willey
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:05 PM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
88 Posts
Here's what we are dealing with....
willey is offline Find More Posts by willey
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:14 AM
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willey View Post
Nice Job Dan! looks much better with the heavier winds
Thanks Willey, not the best vids but gives an idear

Am abit 50/50 love playin in the snow but like 10oc warm to sail lol saying that though by the end of this week we are going back to to 0oc the weather over here is like a yo yo at the moment

Dan
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
387 Posts
Quick question guys.

Do all trimarans always fly one hull when in the water. I seem to notice here that this boat always has one hull out of the water even when its sitting in a calm pool. It never seems to have all three sitting level. Also it seems like its always leaned either right or left no matte what, its never level.

Is this just a condition of the design? Or just a condition of this boat?
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:05 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,305 Posts
The short answer is no. Many cruising tris have 3 hulls in the water. However, having one out of the water reduces drag and makes the boat easier to tack.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2006
565 Posts
This type is only ment to have two hulls in the water at any time, its a copy of a racing tri, so its always going to lean port or starboard, unless your going down wind wheir you can get it to sit only on the middle hull but its tricky to get this

Dan

P.s if you want a tri with all 3 in the water have alook at the fugi 60 i think it is, but its not as good as this yacht ( dont know of any others )
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:36 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,305 Posts
The old Brown Searunner tris have three hulls *firmly* planted in the water.
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:54 PM
DOOMSman
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
For a float maybe something that looks like a radar dome?
DOOMSman is offline Find More Posts by DOOMSman
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southsea
Joined Apr 2011
199 Posts
thats a good idea doomsman , at least it would look scale like and still serve a purpose .
triumphjon is offline Find More Posts by triumphjon