HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:27 PM
United States, TX, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
45 Posts
Discussion
Best Epoxy for Bagging?

Hello all! I've been reading these forums for years so here goes the first thread.. I am about to begin assembling a dlg short kit and need to vacuum bag the wings. I've beaten myself to death with all the info I can find on how to go about the bagging, but what is the best epoxy system to use for a beginner? Obviously a slower cure will be helpful, but the viscosity will play an important part, as will price. Anyone with experience in this please chime in and thanks in advance!
stape is offline Find More Posts by stape
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:59 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
I have been using Resin Research Composite Pro for a while now and absolutely love it. It's crystal clear, low viscosity, very strong, and has absolutely NO smell.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,774 Posts
Best is MGS in most opinions including mine, but it's expensive and only available from a couple of places in the USA.

West Systems is very available at woodworking stores and boating supply stores. It's a great low viscosity resin for most uses.

Resin Research is great as well and is inexpensive. It's a slightly higher viscosity than West or MGS but still extremely usable and probably the best value.

Others like US Composites are quite good as well, but I don't have alot of personal experience with them.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:22 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,311 Posts
If you are not with a large group and can get a group order of something like MGS for a guy giving it a go on his own I really like the 12 ounce 60 minute EZ-LAM kit for $18.00.

http://www.acpsales.com/Epoxy-Resins.html

I mix mine by mass with a digital gram scale.

I now have MGS. The MGS is better. But if I didn't have a local buddy with a local source of the stuff I would still be using the EZ-LAM.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:37 AM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,189 Posts
I like US composites for thicker laminates but in my experience it is not well suited to thin skins on DLG wings or tails.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:41 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,885 Posts
Avoid West Systems for this use. The glass transition temperature is too low for sunlight summer exposure. It may be good for wooden boats, where a little bit of creep may help keep it mated better to wood which certainly changes dimension, but you don't want your wings warping just because of a little summer sun. Besides, it is too thick.

MGS is my preference. If you are certain you are serious and plan to do a number of wings, I'd recommend just going with it. Perhaps split up a gallon with some local friends?

Gerald
G_T is online now Find More Posts by G_T
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
I won't argue with the fact that MGS is the best. You won't find anything better. However, it is the most expensive. I will, however, argue that Resin Research has lower viscosity than West. I use both on a regular basis (RR for my own projects, West at work) and the difference is noticeable. US Composites is higher viscosity, but it is very strong and stiff if post-cured. Wyowindworks has a thread in the Composites forum where he shows tests done with all of the above resins. It's worth reading through.

I started with the 12oz EZ-LAM kit from ACP. It's not a bad way to try out composites building. The resin is decent and the kit isn't expensive. You should be able to get at least a couple of wings and several tails out of one bottle.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:49 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
My first wing skins somebody suggested West systems epoxy. It was not what I would have suggested party because it got tacky to soon and had me scrabbling to get things straightened out to close up the mylars. I have since used MGS 285 and refuse to use anything else.
Mgs is like working with 30 weight motor oil. Its nice with zero odor and seems to react the same with every batch. I always get things finished before it ever shows signs of thickening.
To me, Its worth the extra money
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
922 Posts
Thanks for the information!
Glad to know where to get them.
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
I won't argue with the fact that MGS is the best. You won't find anything better. However, it is the most expensive. I will, however, argue that Resin Research has lower viscosity than West. I use both on a regular basis (RR for my own projects, West at work) and the difference is noticeable. US Composites is higher viscosity, but it is very strong and stiff if post-cured. Wyowindworks has a thread in the Composites forum where he shows tests done with all of the above resins. It's worth reading through.

I started with the 12oz EZ-LAM kit from ACP. It's not a bad way to try out composites building. The resin is decent and the kit isn't expensive. You should be able to get at least a couple of wings and several tails out of one bottle.
Good advice

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1135513
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
Thanks for posting the link, DLGjunkyard. I was too lazy to go find it. It's worth noting that in his tests he uses Composite Pro 2070, which is the medium modulus resin. The 2050 will yield a stiffer part. I have only used the 2050 so I can't tell you just how much more viscous it is, but I don't have any difficulty wetting out parts.

I might have to try MGS sometime just to see how much of a difference it'll make.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:41 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,473 Posts
Has anyone tried Adtech's ProBuild Marine laminating resin with the Tropical Hardener for DLG wings? I've been using it for repairs and been happy with it so far, but I can't compare because I haven't used any other laminating resin. It's about $65 for a quart of resin and pint of hardener, shipped.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
3,244 Posts
I know Wyowindworks has talked a lot about Adtech resin, but I don't know specifically which one he's used. I just know he was very happy with it and recommended it as a less expensive alternative to MGS
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:10 PM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
The heart of the problem for new builders is the volume needed. There are many suitable brands. Just not many sold in quarts.

BTW GUYS aircraft spruce now carries pro set. Its very comparable to MGS

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog...tSysEpoxy3.php
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Dec 2005
2,912 Posts
Except for the blue hardener of MGS I can't tell much practical difference between it and Pro-set 125/229.
Dave
David Forbes is online now Find More Posts by David Forbes