HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:45 AM
Joined Dec 2004
756 Posts
All I can add from own experience is that I love my Lehner in my F5B planes. Good for 47laps, (and with a better pilot probably even more).

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:00 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
So whats wrong with my recommendation?
Regards
Yello
Absolutely nothing! I didn't say they were wrong.
You are a well informed modeller and many of us have learned a lot from your advice in the past and will hopefully learn more in the future
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:44 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
The OP is not flying competition,he is looking for a good sport motor that can handle 6S in massive heat of the summers where he lives....Mega is cheap with a Massive amount of options and will do the best job for the buck if you ask me as i have POUNDED them in some insane heat for a LONG TIME (it is Jan 23 and we have 70 to 80deg temps,summer is long and beyong HOT)...I have had a few Neu motors and still have a bunch of Mega's....The Neu has crap bearings if you ask me,all three of mine developed slop,and i am not ok with that.I know nothing about Lerner and it will stay that way for a long time seeing how much $ they are and what it would take to get one here in the states.
VooDoo Child is online now Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,344 Posts
[QUOTE=Mega's....The Neu has crap bearings if you ask me,all three of mine developed slop,and i am not ok with that..[/QUOTE]

We use ONLY Japanese bearing from SPB--hardly what I would call "crap". www.spb-usa.com/

Bearings are easily damaged from shock loads on the shaft. One thing we have done on the later versions is to go to 5mm shafts and bearings as a way to make them able to take more abuse.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:00 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,795 Posts
Today, I ordered a Mega 16/40/1.5S 3.17mm Shaft (1915kv)

Thanks for the info, suggestions, and entertainment.

SNEU: I am loving my 1115/2.5D on 5S in my Viper.

I will come back here to report my 6S experience with this motor and my Swist.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:04 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
Bearings are easily damaged from shock loads on the shaft.

Steve
Steve, if you don't mind me asking, can you explain what would be an example of a shock load?
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Steve, if you don't mind me asking, can you explain what would be an example of a shock load?
An example of a "shock" load is when some taps on a prop adapter to push it further onto the motor shaft because it is a tight fit. The bearings have small balls that get pushed back into the race making small dimples in the surface. Once this happens the bearing will make noises which may lead to problems down the road. When installing prop adapters it is always best to try and use a press and support the shaft at the rear to prevent bearing damage.

Of course shock loads can happen from less then perfect landings or where a rock jumps up and hits the spinner head on.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:33 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post

nice motor, I have the samebut with 5mm shaft that is going into my Xplane later in summer..
I will be running it with DUP:s 6x10 folding on 5s lipo

Would be interesting to hear your data on static test with 6s lipo...

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
THIS !
Mama said there would be days like this (0 min 46 sec)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
We use ONLY Japanese bearing from SPB--hardly what I would call "crap". www.spb-usa.com/

Bearings are easily damaged from shock loads on the shaft. One thing we have done on the later versions is to go to 5mm shafts and bearings as a way to make them able to take more abuse.

Steve
If you were on my end you would call the ones i had crap...I am by no means trying to knock you or your motors Steve,they ran great tell they started to develop slop in the shaft....And not one had a spinner hammered on or took a hard hit.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:42 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
nice motor, I have the samebut with 5mm shaft that is going into my Xplane later in summer..
I will be running it with DUP:s 6x10 folding on 5s lipo

Would be interesting to hear your data on static test with 6s lipo...

Sebbe
IT will be a while before I get it. They are made to order in The Czech Republic, I believe...

I am expecting it around the 1st of March. I will run my 16/40/1.5RC (2370kv) in it on 5S in the mean time.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
The OP is not flying competition,he is looking for a good sport motor that can handle 6S in massive heat of the summers where he lives..
Voodoo, i am used to get some kind of againstwind when i show up with options beyond megas and neus, i am aware that most of you do not participate in F5d racing,you call it sport flying or funpylon or whatelse....

But check out the treads arround f5d airframes here in the groups.
Usually it starts with enthusiasm about the new airframe,followed by an installation report which leads to setup discussions( wich usually end in several Megas or Neus)
Finally it ends up in a maiden video which gets dopplered to get the speed and questions how to get faster!!
Sometimes it even gets to dispute and conflict whether this setup is faster or the other airframe is better......

For me it seems like most of you are in a competition right now, following discussions about dives or levelflight, radar or doppler it even looks like you develoved a kind of regulation!!
Nothing wrong about that,competition pushes development.,,,

Just funny how you guys still try to stay seperate from the F5d competitors....

Anyway, the threadstarter asked for the best motor at 6S for an F5d plane and he got some recommendations and finally he seem to be satisfied.

We can stop here ...
or we can continue to find a way to select motors for a given task.

F5d style showes massive higher loads static,usually powerdrop it up to 50% so i would set up my drive to max eta inflight or slightly over that level,static the motor would be massive overloaded(short bursts or 10sec runs would even increase overload!)

Motors which are able to take massive overload are not inevitably the fastest, but it sounds better to talk about 3KW input

For me its much more important to know about output power and this is mainly set by drive efficiency.

What i miss here is the question about what i push in and what it spits out!!!

As Steve Neu is arround here it would be simple to ask:
Steve, which of your Motors would give a maximum eta at 42000 rpm, 21 Volts and about 60Amps??
I' am absolutely sure he has nothing to hide in this kind of sport!!
I would get an answer if i would ask Harald Konrath, Rainer Hacker, Rolf Strecker, Andreas Lehner....maybe you could ask Mr. Mega aswell?
If you would compare results i am pretty sure it would lead to some quite unusual stuff...

Anyway, if you take sportflying as a challange or kind of competition,you will never get the lead by copying usual setups.....

Voodoo, i think at least you will understand my intention,seems like you got your benefit by trying the new....

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Last edited by Mreyello; Jan 24, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post

Great pic,you will love it and it will last
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:40 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,302 Posts
I hear ya Mr Yello.

But until anyone actually posts up this data Its pretty much conjecture.

When you talk of megas behaving well when overloaded, surely this is a sign that the motor is remaining relatively efficient in an overloaded state? Infact Id say remaining amazingly efficient while be pushed well past "limits"

I very much doubt many/any motor manufacturers would publically answer your question in direct comparison to their competitors. Ive tried before

Im not arguing with you by the way, but "best" is not a black or white answer.

Is best the maximum eta? The lightest for given rpm output? Longest flight time? Fastest speed? Lowest time around the an F5D course? the best prop spun at the best efficiency? Is it the cheapest? The most readily available? In you favourite colour? The one in your spare parts box?

Im not a fanboy, I have had great results with megas, so I keep using them Ive also had great luck with scorpions/kontronics/neus etc too.

Which is best? Best is the fact we have options and dont have to choose motors entirely from the HobbyKing catalog of cheap
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,832 Posts
@ Yello,I am not sure why you think my posts are directed at you It is just that i have spent some time in the PM section with the OP and i know what he is looking for....I have said it many times and i will say it again,guys like you are a rare breed and guys like me can never thank you enough for teaching us what you have learned.....But you also have to keep in mind,as we learn from you-we also learn a thing or two along the way .....and one thing i have learned is,what it takes to have some sport fun with an F5D airframe...Call us what you want,but we are only guys that have the need for speed in the RC world and only want to learn how to build,fly and understand these F5D works of art..that my friend i have found takes ALOT of time and money along with some insane practice.....There is nothing wrong with me trying to help some of my fellow US want to be cool like EURO guys with things that i have found along the way and for the life of me can not figure out why it gets to you ............If you read this and think " Huuuuuuum"..ask yourself one thing and that is " Why am i one of the VERY few guys that will post a vid of his good flights,along with his Massive Failures ? ......just trying to pay it forward where i can......Don't you just LOVE the internet !?!?!