HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:18 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Question
Best 6s motor for an F5D airframe

Hey guys, wondering if anyone is consistently flying 6s on a pylon plane, if so which one?

My swist will fit 6 cells, so now I am trying to find the best motor for the job.

Thanks for any advice, and or experience
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,174 Posts
Whats "best"?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:05 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:06 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Whats "best"?
Will hold up in tiny fuse with little airflow for 30 sec of WOT

I am looking at the Mega 16/40/1.5S
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:48 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
MEGA 16/45/XX
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:50 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Will hold up in tiny fuse with little airflow for 30 sec of WOT

I am looking at the Mega 16/40/1.5S
Just do the 16/35/XXRE if that is the case ....I would still go 45 if i was to go back to inrunner.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:36 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
Which prop size do you have in mind, Johnny?
Decide the prop and desired kv, and find the longest MEGA that will fit in the plane that has that ~ kv. Check for "E" and "D" options and keep in mind that a x.5S is slightly better than x.5R in most applications as it gives lower kv with appx. same IR, which means you can prop up....
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Which prop size do you have in mind, Johnny?
Decide the prop and desired kv, and find the longest MEGA that will fit in the plane that has that ~ kv. Check for "E" and "D" options and keep in mind that a x.5S is slightly better than x.5R in most applications as it gives lower kv with appx. same IR, which means you can prop up....
thinking 5x5 2000kv
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:59 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
As you asked for the best motor,i would not inevitably reduce the choice to the Megas.

Hardly known in the groups but really high-end are the Lehner motors,regarding efficiency probably hard to beat.

Be carefull with Lehners KV, the data sheet showes KV at max Eta,unloaded KV is 10-15% higher!!!

A good choice for 6S 5x5 might be the Lehner 15/35/13 in high amp version.

I assume you want to fit it in your Swist(i would hardly call that fuse tiny!) and you are looking for continuous runs at high powerlevels,so probably bigger diameter may help?
19/20/16 or 17 should fit,probably the swist can carry even a 19/30?

Anyway, a good indication for performance and efficiency is competition success,(Never heard about a succesfull mega since S. Frauendorfer finished second in Pitesti 2006) so probably you should have a closer look at the Neu Motors?

Regards
Yello
Mreyello is online now Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:04 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,174 Posts
Lehners look cool, but the price point is so high they would have to to pretty incredible.

Ive never seen a lehner in person, or any numbers off one, and my LHS is an agent!

"Best" isnt descriptive enough to pick a motor Whats the Best Car ever made? an 88 Toyota Corolla or a 67 Ferrari 250 gto?

Some would say an $8 HK inrunner is the best as you can have 25 of them for the price of a Mega, or 40 in the case of a lehner ( Im not one of these... )
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:05 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,255 Posts
What is the best way to answer a question like "what's the best" anyway? Who has tested all the motors money can buy and gone really scientific to work with lab equipment to set the record straight once and for all? Haven't met him yet, that's for sure.
IMO the best way to answer the question is to state tried setups or best guesses based on experience, or to post a link to other dudes data. Different pilots have different experiences, and when more people participate the question can be approached from different angles.
In another thread the dude told he had given up the search for a spinner and will use a prop adapter on the Swist. If one were to suggest things to improve performance, maybe even "fit a spinner" would be a better answer than "Lehner instead of Mega".
The best answer depends on the context...
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:18 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
There is very little data 6s data available on these types of models.

Voodoo Child is the only one I have come across. While he has been more than helpful and shared all of his experience, I just wanted to see what else was out there.

I have seen the Mega 16/40/1.5S fly all day long on 6S with a APC 6x5. (Funjet Ultra) That's with a 3000mah 65C pack. Very little cooling like like the Swist.

So far, this is the motor I am leaning towards.

I have a Neu 1115/2.5D, seems the kv might be a little too high. I am thinking 1900 might be the sweet spot for the props I want to try.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
Johnny: your neu is proven on 5s and 6s, so you need to be more specific in what you want. Why not start with your neu and then choose something else based on that, ie you want more speed, less weight, more runtime, whatever. It's an excellent motor that can put your Swist right at 200mph and is proven dead reliable. And you already own it, how much better does it get?
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
Johnny: your neu is proven on 5s and 6s, so you need to be more specific in what you want. Why not start with your neu and then choose something else based on that, ie you want more speed, less weight, more runtime, whatever. It's an excellent motor that can put your Swist right at 200mph and is proven dead reliable. And you already own it, how much better does it get?
My Neu is in another plane. I figure rather than get another, I would try and find one similar with a slightly lower kv for more options.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:00 AM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
IMO the best way to answer the question is to state tried setups or best guesses based on experience, or to post a link to other dudes data. Different pilots have different experiences, and when more people participate the question can be approached from different angles.
.)
So whats wrong with my recommendation?

I have 2 Lehners which i use at up to 8cells with gearbox or 5S ungeared and yes, i also tried megas at 5 and 6S!

The Lehner is a 2 pole motor and gives the option of a wide range of fine stepped KV,which makes it easier to setup for given prop and voltage.

Yes,the Lehners are expensive but worth every penny.

You can get a good deal here:
http://www.reisenauer.de/artikelauswahl.php5?kid=151
but unfortunately not in the right KV for 6S directdrive.

Some basic experiences to 2pole, 4pole and 6pole inrunners.
With a given weight and KV a motor can take more inputpower the more poles it got.
2 Pole Motors have usually higher maximum efficiency than 4 or 6 polers but the efficiency drop is higher at overload.
6 pole motors give a lower eta max but efficiency stays reasionable even at massive overloads (for me the reason why the megas are so popular for funpylon)

4 Pole motors (like Neu) give the best compromise between efficiency and load-bearing capacity,so they are nice in handling and easy to set up and successfull as directdrive in competition..

If it was possible to get the working point in the region of ETA -max i would take a 2-pole for best performance and economy.( most of the succesfull geared folder setups are 2 pole)

Quote:
I just wanted to see what else was out there.
It was not my intention to declare the Lehner as the best motor, just wanted to
show that there is something else than only mega out there!

Quote:
I would try and find one similar with a slightly lower kv for more options.
1115-1,5Y might be an option,maybe its even possible to fit an 1409 2Y in the swist?

Regards
Yello
Mreyello is online now Find More Posts by Mreyello