SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
Question
self stabilizing.

So, I am thinking about making my own scratch build, but wanted to make it only three channels (rudder, elevator), the problem is, I know this wont work unless it is self stab lazing. The plane would be a 30inch twin engine cargo-ish style plane.

I also have another question on motors. Since its twin engine, 30 inch by 4 inch wingspan, we are talking about 120inch2 of wing. the wing will carry the standard low speed airfoil shape. I am using staples foam board to give the plane some stronger wings to deal with the motor. Sadly, I am pretty terrible at deciding on electronics and am pretty unsure of what motor I would need. I think I will use a standard 2200mah battery.
jimmy boo is offline Find More Posts by jimmy boo
Last edited by jimmy boo; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:08 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,698 Posts
Normally all you need to do is put a nice but of dihedral in the wings to make it fly with rudder only. The Stratos flies with rudder only. Could be a basis for design.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
yea the problem is, that is tough to do with foam paper. Would vertical stabilizers on the end of the front wings work.

also engine ideas?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,698 Posts
Your planned size is pretty close to the Stratos so anything in that 180-280 size should work for motors.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1130

Why the vertical stabs on the wings?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:40 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
....that is tough to do with foam paper....
No need to copy the curved shape of the Stratos. Just make your wings straight with dihedral.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
^never tried that, what angle are you thinking.

like how high up should the straight wings be?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:38 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,698 Posts
A Piper Cub that I have that was designed to be able to fly with rudder only, is 58" wing and has each wing tip about two inches high.

That span is about twice what you are thinking of so if you were around an inch or so the angle would be pretty close to that.

The Cub wing looks to be somewhere around 7 deg total, so 3.5 deg each wing. Hard to measure the wing with the protractor I have just now, my good one is at work. But if you take half the 58" wing and the two inch rise of the wing tip and do some trig.....
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
ok, That seems good, but if i were to leave my wing in one piece, would vehicle stabilizers on the wings do the same thing, just wondering.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,689 Posts
About how much dihedral, I would say 1" at the tip would be OK.
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy boo View Post
ok, That seems good, but if i were to leave my wing in one piece, would vehicle stabilizers on the wings do the same thing, just wondering.
What do you mean by vertical stabilizers on the wing?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:00 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jan 2009
1,689 Posts
Vertical wing tips are just for making the wing slightly more efficient. The tips reduce the trailing vortices and save energy.
You can also making the wing to be ployhedral with the center part having zero dihedral and the outer parts having a dihedral.
To make a 1" dihedral cut the wing in half then glue it back together using 1" spacers at both wing tips. But remember that the wing joint in the middle has to be very strong.
What are you using for spars?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
638 Posts
^by spars do you mean support bars?

anyways, I don't plan on using support bars, the trick will be having one 30 inch by 4 wing, then having the same cutout with a inch by 30 cutout. placing it at the front and covering with packing tape, thus producing a basic airfoil. the 30 by 1 inch piece will act as a support.

I am not sure about the who dihedral thing, Ill look into it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:11 PM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Dihedral or polyhedral, as above, is what makes the airplane turn with rudder control. So no, vertical "stabilizers" on the wing won't work.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:16 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jan 2009
1,689 Posts
Yes, a spar is a support bar.
If your wing is curved into a foil shape, then you may not need a spar because the curvature will prevent the wing from bending. But it still would be pretty weak. Many people use BBQ sticks under the wing connected to the fuse to strengthen the wing.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:21 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,698 Posts
Oh, OK. You were taking about winglets: http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/fl...48289-241.html

No, they will not make the plane bank and turn like dihedral will with rudder only control.

In a simplified nutshell kinda way: When you initiate a turn with rudder the wing "moving forward" will have an increase in lift and the one "moving backwards" will have a decrease in lift. Thus the plane banks in the same direction you are turning the rudder and turns for you. If you have no dihedral this effect is little or none and the plane will not turn very well.