HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:59 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
759 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake's 1/6 Fokker D.VII "Sieben Schwaben" built from plans

Santa got me a nice set of plans designed by Peter Rake for the 1/6 Fokker D.VII plus the needed electronic parts. Just in time for the weekend the wood arrived (laser cut at my local hobby shop) and so this build could start.

This is my first build of this size ever having built only free flight conversions of about 24" span before so i'm pretty excited. I've read and re-read Maltone's excellent build log of the prototype:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1438691

I surely won't be able to reach his level but i'll be stealing as much information as i can to help me finish this project.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Last edited by gupi; Oct 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Changed title to reflect the color scheme.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:24 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
759 Posts
I started by cleaning the building table completely to make room for a build that will barely fit here. The plans sure don't.

To get a feeling for a build this large i build the inner fuselage box. No surprises here, easy and quick to do. But huge compared to my regular builds like the Guillows Spitfire i'm currently converting:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764300

Next i wanted to see what a wing of this size looks like. I built the spars for both wings and then continued with the center section of the upper wing.

To be able to build the upper wing on the plan i printed blueprints of the wing (literally because my old large format printer refused to spit out any black) and taped them to the board covered with transparent film.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:21 AM
free flight or micro RC ???
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined May 2006
459 Posts
Good luck with it Gupi!

We 'll be watching...

George
g_kandylakis is offline Find More Posts by g_kandylakis
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:54 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
577 Posts
Been following the spitfire and will follow along here. Is it flying yet?
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:18 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
759 Posts
The Spitfire is not yet done - but i couldn't resist starting with the Fokker.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:19 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,819 Posts
I'm here, too!
Cheering from Virginia, USA!
David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:20 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I'm here, too!
Cheering from Virginia, USA!
David
VA is a great place ain't it?
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:50 AM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,922 Posts
I'm watching as well. I enlarged Peter Rakes' Sperry Messenger from 30" ws to 53" ws http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074370 . The airplane flies great. What is the ws of this model you are building? The parts look lasered. Did you get a short kit?

Fred
http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:13 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,611 Posts
Fred,
Span is 58". Gupi got the parts laser cut, but by a company local to him.
Interestingly, the 30" Sperry was a scaled down version of my 45" model. I'll soon be starting on an even smaller one, just 18" span. I'm hoping that one will come in at under 50 grams.

gupi,
I can imagine just how big this one looks compared to your usual fare. I'll be around here somewhere if you need to ask anything mate.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:10 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
759 Posts
The wingspan is 1.5m (about 60").
The parts are laser cut at my local hobby store but it's not the official one by Manzano though.

Oh, i see Pete was faster with his answer. Didn't refresh my window.
Last edited by gupi; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Pete was faster.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:01 AM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,922 Posts
Oh man!, 58", what a beauty! I looked at Maltones build thread, very nice! I'll have to do some serious thought to this one, stock size, maybe a Manzano short kit,.... Not this winter though.

Fred
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:33 PM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
759 Posts
It snowed a lot in the last days which naturally leads to a nice building mood. So i went on with the wings and ailerons. Both wings are basically done, still in need of wing tips and sanding.

For size comparison i checked the wing of my current Guillows Spitfire build - the ailerons of the Fokker have the same span combined!

Since i have little time i use almost the same method as with my small builds. I use CA to tack glue parts to the plan which is covered with film. I don't dare to use only CA for building the wings, so i use white glue and combine it with CA to keep the parts together while the white glue dries. So i don't need to clamp and pin everything and building goes almost as fast as with the small kits.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:32 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,689 Posts
Gupi - I see a huge difference in your wing pictures to mine and I'm not sure I like it - I never had feet of snow outside my window But I guess it's better than 29-40 deg C heat She's looking good - I'm following with interest - Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:50 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
Gupi - I see a huge difference in your wing pictures to mine and I'm not sure I like it - I never had feet of snow outside my window But I guess it's better than 29-40 deg C heat She's looking good - I'm following with interest - Pat
You should live here in the high desert. We get both, snow in the winter and high heat in the summer. And neither one is better than the other. They're both a PITA.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:10 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,630 Posts
Your model is going together nicely, gotta love that laser cut precision! I'll be watching...
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57