HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:40 PM
USA, TX, Rockwall
Joined Nov 2007
73 Posts
Question
Sickle Radio Cutout

What are you guys using to cover the radio cutout on the sickle fuselage? Do you build some kind of hatch? Its not in the plans. Thanks in advance.
justin80 is offline Find More Posts by justin80
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:39 PM
USA, TX, Rockwall
Joined Nov 2007
73 Posts
Also, would epoxying the wing to the fuse and not using screws be advisable?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:23 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Epoxy will not stick to coro. Scratch that one. Ca glue, E-6000 craft glue (like silicone cement in consistency) and hot melt glue will all stick to coro.

Not sure about the hatch thing. Someone familiar with the sickle will have to help you there.
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:10 PM
Call me Frosty
Lawton, Oklahoma - USA
Joined Sep 2004
397 Posts
I think the radio cut out faces down to the wing. Screwing the wing on covers the cutout.

found a link a spadworld that says it can be done on top or bottom. top requires you to make some sort of cover.

http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic...t=sickle+radio
TheRealFrosty is offline Find More Posts by TheRealFrosty
Last edited by TheRealFrosty; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:58 AM
USA, TX, Rockwall
Joined Nov 2007
73 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am building a hatch.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:24 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,816 Posts
Yep, on the plans it shows a 4" Radio Access Cutout right there on the fuse section.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:32 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
Actually i've been using epoxy to glue up SPAD wings for a few years now,
and only had one come apart but only because it crashed.
just make sure to rough sand the area you want the epoxy to hold and make sure to flash it with a torch just like you would with CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig Man View Post
Epoxy will not stick to coro. Scratch that one. Ca glue, E-6000 craft glue (like silicone cement in consistency) and hot melt glue will all stick to coro.

Not sure about the hatch thing. Someone familiar with the sickle will have to help you there.
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, CT, Old Lyme
Joined Sep 2011
81 Posts
+1 webdragon. I use epoxy on all my builds. I sand every bonding surface and on important areas I go over it with a flame then use a neddle to make tiny pin holes on both surfaces. Once the epoxy cures, it acts like nails. Crashed a couple and never had any of the surfaces break free, unless it was part of the impact area.

Edit: CA may work better, but I have access to epoxy has wholesale prices, thats why I choose to use it. $2 a tube vs $5-$7 a bottle adds up.
paintmann111 is offline Find More Posts by paintmann111
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:56 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
I haven't tried pinholes yet, but i plan to on my next build. In one of my last trades i ended up with a woodpecker and i'm going to try that on the coro ans see how that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
+1 webdragon. I use epoxy on all my builds. I sand every bonding surface and on important areas I go over it with a flame then use a neddle to make tiny pin holes on both surfaces. Once the epoxy cures, it acts like nails. Crashed a couple and never had any of the surfaces break free, unless it was part of the impact area.

Edit: CA may work better, but I have access to epoxy has wholesale prices, thats why I choose to use it. $2 a tube vs $5-$7 a bottle adds up.
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:42 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,393 Posts
Some guys are using the Woodpecker and polyurethane glue that swells up to fill the holes. I think it may be marginally lighter than epoxy, but heavier than CA. While cutting the hatch, maybe cutting at an angle may get the hatch to tuck in?
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed