HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Discussion
Video - My newest Baby Flite Streak - some wingovers

I posted this on another forum and I wanted to show it to y'all too. This is a kit built Baby Flite Streak with a Norvel .061. My other Streak has a Tee Dee .051 as you may have seen in my videos in the 1/2A forum. I refer to them as Streak-I and Streak-II. I maidened Streak-II last week and it had a few issues that I seem to have ironed out now. Those videos are on my Tube channel if you want to see.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rastus10?feature=mhee

Mid 60s and not a cloud in the sky, with a gusty 10MPH breeze. I stayed out at the field for about 3-1/2 hours. I flew the Baby Streak-II and the Li'l Satan, and left the neglected Streak-I in the car. I feel like I'm disappointing it lately, taking it to the field and not flying it. But anyway, I'd fly some and take a break to walk up to the RC field and yak with those guys. I offered, but none of them wanted to try the handle. I did get a compliment that CL is ten times harder than RC. I don't know about that, but I'll take it. I said, yeah it's a full body experience, and quick 1/2A is an exercise in controlled panic. They had a YAK and a Piper Cub, an F16 and a nice self-designed tri-copter that he flew with video glasses.

My intention today was to experiment with different props. I took a fistful out there and started with an APC 6x2. The Big Mig liked it and spun up pretty fast. I launched it and did a few laps to make sure my latest trim job was adequate... it was; stable but leaning toward twitchy, which is what I was aiming for. I've been receiving tutoring lately from Ken. The plane needs a few grams up front and I reduced it to about 3 grams and slid it farther forward than it was last week. The plane was nice and agile and the poor inverted performance I mentioned last week was now corrected. I also cured the odd flutter I had last week, when it felt like I was flying a fish that would wag its tail when the wind blew. It was just the overly relaxed Ultracote. I took an iron to it and tightened it and I think that helped a couple of problems I'd had on the maiden last Saturday. It might have been the inverted instability problem too.

So, she's trimmed out very nicely now. All I have left to fix is the uneven elevator throws. I have a new favorite flyer. I didn't do as much as planned with the propellers. The APC 6x2, though it let the engine rev up, flew the plane too slowly, especially for a stiff gusty breeze. But it did allow me to make my wingovers a lot prettier. I decided to go back to my 6x3 MA to get a fresh a baseline for comparison, since I had re-trimmed the plane since the maiden. But I was so happy with the performance on that flight, I just decided to leave it on and have some fun flying. Sorry, Ken, I can't report on the results of the other APCs. I'll get around to it, maybe next week.

I am getting more used to needling the Norvel and I think I can now consistently identify its sweet spot before I launch. Sometimes you really have to milk those Norvels with the hemostats to get the engine running. That's something I haven't had to do with the Tee Dees. And I think I was blaming the 6x3 for my inept needling in the past, even going back to the Refried Bean flights. This is the engine that used to have the loose venturi. I had tried silicone tube as a gasket, and Permatex too(bad bad idea), but nothing was dependable for long. A few weeks ago I tried a piece of latex bladder tube to seal it and it worked perfectly. I figured it would rot in the fuel, and I meant to replace it, but just slam forgot. And it still worked great, no leaks at all. I never imagined it would last, but it did. I will put a fresh one on before next week.

I've been practicing wingovers, overhead loops and 8s It was too windy for my own comfort for the overhead stunts, but I did a bunch of wingovers with both planes. The Li'l Satan is really easier even though it's a bit faster. I have trouble with my pullouts and sometimes climb instead of leveling off. The streak with all that wing really floats if i slightly over control it. Some of that maybe my too-short elevator horn, so that needs attention this week. I pulled a few out low and flat, while others shot back up high. It's hard to watch the wingovers on video, but hopefully you can pick out the good ones. I'll get it. I know I'm a stupefyingly slow study, but I intend to add new stunts fairly regularly, so as not to bore either myself or my movie viewers.

So, I'm happy to report, I had a great time today. Depending on the honey-do list, I will be back out next week. Or as soon as possible. It was great to be home alone for a whole weekend. I had plenty of shop time, ran my MP Jet, balanced props, made bladders and took as long as I damn well wanted.
Ain't life great!
Rusty

FULLSCREEN IS ENABLED
Baby Flite Streak Sunday 1-20-13 (7 min 17 sec)
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Last edited by RknRusty; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Envious of your weather/climate.. Pea Soup fog here.
Certainly No leaves on the trees.
Often tricky needling is too high a nitro content Or a too high compression for the used fuel
Norvel can /will spin a 5 x3 'nicely'.. should you wish to try it.
Wingovers albeit not of Stunt nutter precision seemed improving as is your flying overall. Time to find a buddy for Combat ?
Intrigued by the remote launcher.
The few I've previously seen tried have been problematic.
Got a sketch ?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:14 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
Nice flight there, RknRusty. That Flite Streak 1/2-A plane really moves out, I really enjoyed watching you fly it.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Envious of your weather/climate.. Pea Soup fog here.
Certainly No leaves on the trees.
Often tricky needling is too high a nitro content Or a too high compression for the used fuel
Norvel can /will spin a 5 x3 'nicely'.. should you wish to try it.
Wingovers albeit not of Stunt nutter precision seemed improving as is your flying overall. Time to find a buddy for Combat ?
Intrigued by the remote launcher.
The few I've previously seen tried have been problematic.
Got a sketch ?
Yes, it was a mid Winter treat to get a whole warm weekend. It's been gloomy since November. And to top it all off my wife was at the beach with her girlfriends for the weekend So I could spend as long as I wanted, doing what I wanted, whenever I wanted to! Those are Pines and Live Oaks, that stay green all year.

Bare, I put a smaller prop on my Refried Bean and it took off and flew a zillion MPH. I do plan to try some others, but I was quite happy with the lumber I was swinging this day. The engine didn't seem unhappy with it either.

My Stooge:
A firm $5 bathmat with a rubber bottom. Make sure it's not too limber and floppy.
Fold it so the rubber is on the inside
Bungee it to a yard table and align the bungee cord to follow the profile of the wing TE so the plane won't twist under power(it's not adjusted properly in this picture)
The brick backs up the bungee. for some planes I set the brick on top of the bungee.
Tie a cord to the bungee and use a metal shish-kabob skewer to form a guy-line to hold the table from tipping over. Try not to trip over it.
When set up properly the plane can be freed from the stooge with a gentle pull on the control handle. It works better after it gets oily.
For planes than need more height, I strap the table to the top of a bar stool, and tilt it slightly up with a wood slat under the table.
It has been 100% safe with no slips or close calls. It gives me a convenient platform to kneel and crank without having to squat on the ground too.

Name: fleet and stooge.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 308.0 KB
Description: Name: Stooge.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 114.2 KB
Description: My stooge.

----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
Nice flight there, RknRusty. That Flite Streak 1/2-A plane really moves out, I really enjoyed watching you fly it.
Thanks, Ghost. I love the Streak. It's done wonders for my CL skills and building skills. If I only had the balance and reflexes I had back before I flew capable planes.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, CA, Carson
Joined Dec 2012
24 Posts
Very Great Flight..^_^... So enjoy to watching them...
saab2 is offline Find More Posts by saab2
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Thanks, Saab. Every time I watch, I think Damn, this one isn't as exciting, but I did do a few decent wingovers amongst the failed ones. Honestly I don't think I could ever compete in the stunt pattern with 1/2A. It moves so freakin' fast for pretty maneuvers. I think I'm more cut out for freestyle where ugliness can be disguised as gutty genius. I just need to keep adding the stunts I can handle. I suppose if I wanted to trim it nose heavy and stable I could make it look neater, but I do like it wild and twitchy.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,151 Posts
Flying the Jr. FliteStreak with TD 09, I finally got some figures on (at the time) the minimum lap time at which I could comfortably fly the stunt pattern, ie 4 second laps. Slower is better so long as the airplane flies well. I flew 1/2A stunt competitively some years back, but did not time laps. I do think 1/2A airplanes have to have a little faster lap time than larger airplanes to have adequate line tension. I doubt that I was flying them (TD 049 on 42 ft lines) faster than 4 seconds.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Flying the Jr. FliteStreak with TD 09, I finally got some figures on (at the time) the minimum lap time at which I could comfortably fly the stunt pattern, ie 4 second laps. Slower is better so long as the airplane flies well. I flew 1/2A stunt competitively some years back, but did not time laps. I do think 1/2A airplanes have to have a little faster lap time than larger airplanes to have adequate line tension. I doubt that I was flying them (TD 049 on 42 ft lines) faster than 4 seconds.
Hi Jim, always good to hear from you
I've been freezing youtube timestamps and I do see that the real stunters fly 4 second laps with 1/2A. My planes all fly 3 seconds on 40' lines. I'm going to rig a handle with 42 or 45', haven't decided which yet,

I perused the 2014 AMA rules for stunt last night. It's apparently the same pattern for all skill levels. Before next weekend I'll rig some longer lines and see if I can do better. Regarding my wingovers, the CL field slopes 5 or 6 feet higher on the leeward side Sunday(15mph gusts), so I was pulling out early and the low-set camera might have made it look like I was climbing maybe worse than I really was. I did pull out a few flat ones, more in the second half of the video, but they were REAL close to the ground. I think I'll practice one stunt at a time and add another when I feel I'm ready. I wish I had more practice time. I still get dizzy and have to do 8s to regain my composure. I also need to start doing round loops and 8s instead of the full-UP panic loops. Fun usually takes over when I finally get to fly, and I throw precision to the wind and just grin and fly.

I've been thinking of PMing you to get your thoughts in more detail. may do so after my next excursion. Maybe the wind will be coming from another direction then
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:09 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
D@mn Nice Flying, Rusty!

I enjoyed that video!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:46 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RknRusty View Post
Attachment 5468989 Name: Stooge.jpg Views: 10 Size: 114.2 KB Description: My stooge.

----------------------------------------------
Thank you;
Your photo was confusing until I realized that you simply yanked the model out of it's containment sock.
Incredibly simple and frankly Goofy.
But It also works quite well... there's clearly No dissing success.
I will.. try this.
Go for 42' foot lines ; Handle to bellcrank bolt, that's 1/2A combat length.
Smaller prop 'should' allow tight loops.. necessary for Combat, also useful for avoiding the green stuff.
Stunters fly so Sloooow that most/many I have seen start wiggling about at the top of wingovers ... even at Contests.
But they go from waist level flight to accurate vertical, back down to waist level flight.
Impressive when done well.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,151 Posts
Actually there is a Beginner Pattern which is shorter and simpler and has no inverted flight. When flying the pattern there are two level laps between each maneuver, so dizzy is less of a problem. Some folks have a dizzy problem flying six inverted level laps. The level laps before and after the inverted maneuver are flown inverted to give six inverted laps.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Thank you;
Your photo was confusing until I realized that you simply yanked the model out of it's containment sock...
Yeah, I guess I didn't mention that part. "Yank" is a rather harsh description. I think step 6 describes it more accurately as "a gentle pull." It works best and is easier to pull out when the mat's rubber liner gets oily after a couple of flights. My mat lasts a full season before the rubber starts to rot and the mat has to be replaced.

It shouldn't stress the bellcrank. But I have been adding an extra brace to the bellcrank platform in all new builds since I began using this stooge.
I even used a stiffer #2 rib in the first pic.
Name: Bean step 6a.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 88.9 KB
Description: Name: SAM_1566.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 123.5 KB
Description:
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Actually there is a Beginner Pattern which is shorter and simpler and has no inverted flight. When flying the pattern there are two level laps between each maneuver, so dizzy is less of a problem. Some folks have a dizzy problem flying six inverted level laps. The level laps before and after the inverted maneuver are flown inverted to give six inverted laps.
I didn't see that beginner pattern. I'll go back to the AMA documents list and see if I see it.

EDIT:
I found it. Farther down the same page. I can do all of that now. I just need to pretty it up and start and finish at the right heights. The sloped CL field at my club should keep me on my toes.

5.1.1. Takeoff and level flight 10–40
5.1.2. Wingover (not reverse) 10–40
5.1.3. Three inside loops 10–40
(recover right side up or inverted)
5.1.4. Three outside loops* 10–40
(recover right side up)
5.1.5. Two inside square loops10–40
5.1.6. Two horizontal eights 10–40
5.1.7. Two overhead eights 10–40
5.1.8. Landing 0–40
5.1.9. Flight Pattern Points 0 or 25
Last edited by RknRusty; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM.