HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, PA, Schellsburg
Joined Jan 2013
56 Posts
Discussion
give me 3 to opt from!

hi guys, new to heli flying and have only flown a coax so far. just bought a 120sr to train on but i have been reading a lot on these quads and i`m really impressed. if i were to buy one name for me 3 of the better ones to get. looking for reliability, ease of use and the flexability to go to a higher skill level on the same machine. but i have read that the RC Eye One seems to fit that bill. although the battery issue( can`t use another brand) because of their wiring. also, do all quads have the ability to bank when turning? thanks for your responses. i will buy one, i just want some opinions from current flyers of these.
lx2008 is offline Find More Posts by lx2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
well they are ALL covered in these threads so maybe if you research them all yourself you will know whats right for you?

i could say get X Y and Z that i got because i spent a few years flying helicopters with small cameras BEFORE moving on to quads a few years ago, you might think my choices crap coz all you want to do is flip and roll?
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:53 AM
gfl
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
I was in a similar position as you and asked the same questions after doing some research. My limited flight experience is co-ax helis, trucks/buggies and 3 channel fixed wings. I wanted to be able to fly indoors and outside in a cul-de-sac sized area. The choices I had from my LHS were the Helimax 1sq and the Ares qx75. Since I wanted to purchase from a LHS vs online, I limited myself, For under $100, I bought the Ares quad, 2 spare batteries and spare set of props although the box already had an extra set of props inside. I have been very happy with the purchase of the Ares product so far. To answer your question more specifically
- Ease of use - Excellent (Im not a very seasoned flyer - just wanted to be able to fly when I get a quick moment. This fits that requirement very well. Charge, plug and play - 45 minjute charge time, 8 minute fly time),
-Reliability - Excellent (Works everytime - have crashed often, no damage - think Timex. I have found that, for me, this is nowhere as easy as flying a co-ax heli, but with practice my skills have improved)
-Flexability for higher skill level - I really dont know (Cannot be bound to another tx although it does allow for high rates and has an automatic flip feature which is awesome - makes me look like I know what Im doing which is actually the furthest thing from the truth)
Hope this is helpful - Just my 2 pennies if any of this matters.
gfl is offline Find More Posts by gfl
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:56 AM
Minister of the Obvious
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
It's true that they have been covered well in these threads, but like the OP I currently only have a coax and still consider myself a novice flier.

Having said that, the bug has bitten me hard and I wish to explore more of what is out there, quads included.

There are even a few threads that compare these quads and some even go into some detail. Some of them are also a little old. I am targeting more toy-based quads rather than the hobby-grade quads from a cost perspective (initial ownership and costs over time). From my own reading, I have narrowed down my own list to:

Syma X1
Hubsan X4
VL949
VL202

My main criteria are:

- Reasonably stable for newer fliers
- Multiple modes to adapt to increased piloting skills
- Decent crash survivability
- Availability of parts, preferably stateside or from the more reliable suppliers in China
- I like "blinky lights"!
- Reasonable cost
- Good indoor flyer but can handle outdoors

Here are my conclusions so far:

Syma X1
- Very reasonable cost
- Syma generally has good parts availability
- Lacking in the "blinky lights"
- Resilient in crash

Hubsan X4

- Reputed to be best flier for aggressive pilots
- Poor crash survivability without mods
- Very compact, so probably better indoor flier
- Compactness makes some repair work challenging
- Decent but not great parts availability

V949
- Reputed to be solid platform
- Has a tendency to do undesirable flips in 100% mode - not an issue with earlier versions
- A little pricey (except through banggood)
- Good "blinky lights"!
- Has 9x (programmable transmitter) compatibility (not so big for me now)

V202
- Reputed to best combination of stability and performance (among these four)
- Very new, so availability might be lacking, especially parts
- No 9x compatibility
- Needs better canopy (others will fit)
- Daddy digs "blinky lights"

Right now, I am liking the V202 the best with the Syma X1 a close second because it is a lot less expensive (but I miss those darn "blinky lights"!). I am not afraid of adding my own LED's as there is a lot of guidance in these forums -- which I will need. Wire them in parallel and use the right resistors. The V202 availability and reasonable pricing from massiveRC (stateside and east coast!) makes it a very attractive option.

Not 100% there yet, but those are my observations so far based on all that I have read. I am sure that the more experienced fliers will correct any inadvertent errors on my part in this writing.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?
brandtb is offline Find More Posts by brandtb
Last edited by brandtb; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Corrected 9x compatibility, thanks variantman!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:08 AM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
708 Posts
I think the above is a good summary.....

I am also a novice and consider it a mistake to have started with the Hubsan - too easy to destroy it! But it does react better than the Syma and seems more "pro" in it's response.

Considering the prices, I wouldn't dally too much on thinking. For Bang for the Buck, I'd tell a brand new flyer to by the Syma for $36 and have at it - inside (basement) or out. The others are fine too, just a bit more $$$. If you are going to bounce it off the walls, ceiling and floors there is no reason to spend too much! Put it in the H mode (that allows steeper turns, angles, etc.) and you have a pretty neat toy.

The X4, IMHO, is for the person who already flew the Syma or 949 for a number of hours. Also, unless you are somewhat handy with a soldering iron and have fine motor skills, the size of it may be a barrier to you when doing repairs, etc.

Again, give the price, I would almost consider some of these disposable learning platforms. It will cost you a certain amount per hour......but, in many way, destroying parts of them is instructive.

For the non-handy (at all), I'd say buy 2 Symas.....one for use and one for parts...or retire the first one for parts after you destroy enough of it. For $70 you will have MANY hours of practice.
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
my 1st micro buy was a hubsan 4x (very nice as there are more settings in the controller for this quad than any other out there currently?) if you want a micro that feels like you are flying one of your "tuned" multiwii builds get this!

then i got 2x syma x1's because they bind to a 9x and were 29 delivered if you want a quad that flies like a kk board with "decent" firmware on it and you have a 9x and no interest in flipping get this!

if you want to flip use stock tx "for now"
neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Brandtb, you have the v202 and v949 tx mixed up. The V202 is not 9x compatible while the V949 is.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Apr 2007
480 Posts
I only got into mini quads 8 weeks ago...never flown anything before..started with an X4...brilliant quad,inside and out,as reliable as any of the other quads,and great value for money..now i have a H36..good quad,very chaep from banggood....a V202..great quad.....and a Eye one..fantastic!

I would rate them..

Eye one....but more expensive

X4 and V202..great quads,great value!

H36..good quad,very cheap...and you can stick a cheap 808 camera on it,and it doesnt matter so much if you lose it!!!
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:38 PM
Minister of the Obvious
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by variantman View Post
Brandtb, you have the v202 and v949 tx mixed up. The V202 is not 9x compatible while the V949 is.
Thanks for the correction, variantman!
brandtb is offline Find More Posts by brandtb
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:15 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
I've no experience with the Eye One, the X4 or the 949. I have a lot of flight time with the 929, the Walkera QR LB V1 and the 202.

IMO the 202 is the best bang for the buck hands down.
It is without a doubt the toughest most durable and hard to damage of the three I have.
It has the best stock flight characteristics and handling of the three. It does have trimming issues but they seem to stem from the firmware onboard because all owners seem to experience the same things. Once trimmed though it's fine.
It's capable of very tight banked turning at speed and even funnels. It flips great in all directions and full rolls while in FFF are also possible although I have yet to master those ( again the toughest of the three).
It has five different rates so slow, easy learning inside is possible as well as crazy stuff outside.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:01 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,323 Posts
Just for reference the EYE One can use standard lipo's with the correct adaptor. On my phone so I will link it later on. I haven't flown the 202 but it seems to have some really strong reviews here on the forum from people I trust and respect in the hobby. If you purchase the v202 I would highly recommend making the purchase from massiverc.com
They are located here in the US and is a co ownership between massiveoverkill and jameschen072 right here from the forums. Quick shipping, great prices and top notch service.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:23 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx2008 View Post
hi guys, new to heli flying and have only flown a coax so far. just bought a 120sr to train on but i have been reading a lot on these quads and i`m really impressed. if i were to buy one name for me 3 of the better ones to get. looking for reliability, ease of use and the flexability to go to a higher skill level on the same machine. but i have read that the RC Eye One seems to fit that bill. although the battery issue( can`t use another brand) because of their wiring. also, do all quads have the ability to bank when turning? thanks for your responses. i will buy one, i just want some opinions from current flyers of these.
Have a look here or send the author a PM as font of info as you will see from his post counts

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1534
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post

IMO the 202 is the best bang for the buck hands down.
It is without a doubt the toughest most durable and hard to damage of the three I have.
wow! I didn't think any quad could take more punishment than a v929... I might have to order a 202..
username2620 is offline Find More Posts by username2620
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:41 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,449 Posts
I have two V929's since last July. Both are flying fine and have held up very, very well. For buget best quad for the money. I have MQX also but alot more $$.
I know lites and shinny stuff is cool, but V949 has dumbed down board.
Anyway coolest buget quad is Husban X-4/ smooth nice flyer Syma X-1. X-1 is tame but flys fine. V202 I hear is very good also, but do not have one.
My coolest multi rortors are Scorpion Y-6 / L/B v1/ Husban X-4
Pride of Fleet is. Hoten-X My practice are V929/ MQX/ Syma X-1 L/B V2.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:50 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
983 Posts
I own and fly : HJ997, V202, X-4. All purchased from massiverc.com

V202- Dorky stock canopy. Best flying outdoors and indoors with a different canopy. Easy to see for older eyes. Nothing destroyed yet... not from the lack of hard impacts indoors. Did lose a prop under the frige when I smacked a wall. Replaced from spares that were included by Massive. As sturdy as the 997. Has 5 sensitivity levels. 20%, 40%. 60%, 80%, 100%. Each require progressively less stick movement. MY FAVORITE so far.

X-4 best agility but qestionably the most fragile of the three Needed mods before flying. Exposed wires for motors protrude below the protection of the landing legs which will be damaged by landings. Props need guards to prevent motor damage to end cap if and when the top hits first. Massive prop guard tip does the trick. Hardest to see outdoors. Non standard transmitter design...looks stolen from video game controller. Trim buttons hard to activate eyes off. Smallest size it is hardest to maintain orientation past 50 feet. Seems super quick, although it might just be an illusion due to it's very small size. This is the one I fly most conservatively indoors and out mainly because the spares were not yet available when I made the original purchase.

997- Extremely sturdy and best of the three to repair. I destroyed a motor being a doofus. Replacement motor/arm/LED came in two days and was the easiest repair I've ever made on aflying machine. Best self stabilizing machine of the three. It's perhaps too self stabilizing? Center the ail/ele stick and it stops forward or sideward movement with a small flourish. Two levels: beginer and expert. Great first step into Mini Quads.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Last edited by gentle ben; Jan 26, 2013 at 05:00 PM.