Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Discussion
Week Three Spree 2013

And in a current spree shooting:

Quote:
Fire chief: Chaplain is 1 of 5 NM shooting victims

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) A 15-year-old boy remained in custody Sunday night as detectives tried to piece together what led to the shooting of five people, including three young children, who were found dead in a New Mexico home.

The teenager was arrested on murder and other charges in connection with the shootings, which happened Saturday night at the home in a rural area southwest of downtown Albuquerque, said Lt. Sid Covington, a Bernalillo County sheriff's spokesman...

...Authorities said each victim suffered more than one gunshot wound, and several guns were found at the home, one of which was a semi-automatic military-style rifle.

http://news.yahoo.com/fire-chief-cha...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
See a pattern?

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:31 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,276 Posts
The news appears to finally start paying attention to events.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Was the semi-auto rifle used in the shooting?
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
I was reading that the mom of the Sandy Hook killer was a loner survivalist type with several guns around the house.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:43 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Another poster asked the question what changed between the 1950's and now with respect to firearm violence. I think the answer is becoming more and more apparent. First that the number of firearms in society has roughly tripled. And secondly, that has obviously led to an increase in the number of mentally unstable individuals with access to firearms.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10881&page=57
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:43 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
I was reading that the mom of the Sandy Hook killer was a loner survivalist type with several guns around the house.
Any semi-automatic military-style rifles?
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:44 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
Was the semi-auto rifle used in the shooting?
Does it really matter?

A 15 year old kills 5 and our concern is what type of weapon was used? What is going on with us?
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:03 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
A 15 year old kills 5 and our concern is what type of weapon was used? What is going on with us?
Yet that is Biden's, Feinstein's, Schumer's, and Obama's main concern, what weapons were used.

What's wrong with them?
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:03 PM
Not watchin from the sideline
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Seeing how the shooter is a minor its likely we wont ever get the full details. With this issue likely (unwarranted speculation on my part)being a family dispute it leaves a whole bunch of unanswered questions like for example were there abuse issues, issues of molestation, drugs, etc... Last point we dont know what type of gun was used and reporters/authoritys arent the best at identification. I'm sorry but this isn't as clear cut as someone driving to the movies and shooting at people.
Yeaman is offline Find More Posts by Yeaman
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1 View Post
Another poster asked the question what changed between the 1950's and now with respect to firearm violence. I think the answer is becoming more and more apparent.

Less westerns and cowboy & Indian shows on TV ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:09 PM
College Park, MD
Joined Sep 2002
4,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Less westerns and cowboy & Indian shows on TV ?.
That's got to be it.
thunder1 is offline Find More Posts by thunder1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:53 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Does it really matter?

I guess I was being too vague. No, it doesn't matter at all what weapons was used, but by bolding the part stating there may have been an AR-15 in the house, the OP made it seem as if it had something to do with the crime, when it just as easily could have been a shotgun or 9mm semi-auto or revolver.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:56 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,690 Posts
Quote:
Another poster asked the question what changed between the 1950's and now with respect to firearm violence. I think the answer is becoming more and more apparent. First that the number of firearms in society has roughly tripled. And secondly, that has obviously led to an increase in the number of mentally unstable individuals with access to firearms.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10881&page=57
Decent correlation
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:58 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,690 Posts
Quote:
Does it really matter?...
Heck yes it matters, if the guy was using a plastic butter knife the event would turn out different
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:55 AM
Joined Oct 2010
377 Posts
Quote:
It's not the guns. It's the people, and it's people who have evolved as our Liberal society has evolved through Liberal policies that create these people.
There are several times more guns in circulation than in the 60's but much less crime per/thousand people.
The Liberal society has created a handfull of depraved people who no longer look at people as people, but as targets (violent games and movies) or as inconveniences to be removed (40 million abortions since R.v.W.).

It's not about guns, it's never been about guns, and it will never be about guns.
It will always be about people.
https://depravityscale.org/depscale/faq.php
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline