Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by BD Murdock, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:26 PM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Discussion
Indoor vs. Outdoor

I really like indoors flying with my 202, my QRLB, and yes even my 929. I think when you get to the point that you can fly a quad the size of the 929 and smaller inside, you'll have very little difficulty doing the same, better & more outside.

I have two rooms that I fly in inside...my living room which is approx. 8' x 14' x 24' and a spare room in my basement that's about 7' x 10' x 12'. What I believe flying in rooms this size does for you is worth it's weight in gold because it's as if your skills are under a microscope due to size of airspace and ground effects / propwash. You'll have to deal with flight anamolies that will simply disappear when you move outside. You trim your quad or heli for absolute best inside flight possible and then when you move outside all of those tiny adjustments and trims and tweeks just melt away...they just don't matter anymore and because you've honed your skills inside they are now that much better outside.

Take it from a guy that's burned hundreds of batteries inside...get good in an inside room then move outside...you'll be very happy with the results.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:50 PM
How's the wind today?
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
781 Posts
Cold = Indoors Hot = Outdoors

In Canada I love flying the helis in winter cause I can fly all day in my living room. When the weather improves, I take it outside with my planes. It's nice to have that flexibility.
Careful with the helis though! Flying indoors all the time doesn't prepare you well for wind. Couple months ago I toasted my Blade SR which I thought I could fly in a little wind.........WRONG!!! learned my lesson.

Great Post!

Take care,
Steve
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:22 AM
Do not fear my avatar ...
United States, NY, WOODHAVEN
Joined Dec 2012
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcbyair View Post
In Canada I love flying the helis in winter cause I can fly all day in my living room. When the weather improves, I take it outside with my planes. It's nice to have that flexibility.
Careful with the helis though! Flying indoors all the time doesn't prepare you well for wind. Couple months ago I toasted my Blade SR which I thought I could fly in a little wind.........WRONG!!! learned my lesson.

Great Post!

Take care,
Steve
I practice in a a room with a window air conditioner on "Energy Saver". The unit comes on and off as it needs to. Its like flying outside with occasional gusts. It has drastically improved my outdoor flying, and handing of wind. I'm fearless now.

E
elburromjf is offline Find More Posts by elburromjf