HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:56 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Discussion
Got my DJI450+KK working, but have some questions

I'm using the stock motors and props from the DJI kit, I really like the way the props mount, and everything is real nice and tight and stiff, and it seems well balanced too. I put the KK board in the middle on the bottom, and the battery on top - didn't really want to do it that way, but it works. I flew it a little bit and it flies ok, but it's a little mushy and drifts in the yaw axis, so I have some adjusting to do, but the 'default' KK setup worked great!

Anyway this is my first quad copter I set up myself! I have read everything I can find about this situation but I still have a few questions...
1. How do I set up for 4S? Can I do it with the stock motors?
2. What is the little thing in the picture below - came with the KK board?
3. What do you think, should I mount the battery like that or the other direction? I'm thinking maybe the other direction, so I can put a small camera on top and the GoPro on the bottom in front? (White arms are the front)
4. I am powering the KK from the receiver side with a Castle BEC - is that kosher? It works, but is it proper?
5. On the jumpers from the RX to the KK, do I really need all three wires or can I just put the signal wire? I have a nasty jumble of wires I'm not happy with, and I will make some shorter jumpers but if I can use only the yellow wire, that would be awesome.
6. Which props should I use? The 8 inch props are on there now, but can I use the 10 inch props on 3S? What's the difference?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:30 AM
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
1. The motors will work on 4S, with 8" props. Not much point in doing it unless you want to fly acro, in which case get a smaller, stiffer frame.

2. It's a buzzer for low voltage alarm built into the KK2. Read the OP in KK2 thread, everything's there.

3. Doesn't really matter as long as everything fits and CG is correct. As it is now, if you mount a camera, you can correct CG by moving the battery slightly.

4. No problem here.

5. You can do that, as long as you leave one for power. Usual way is to connect first channel with 3pin connector installed normally, and use one or two connectors installed at a 90* angle only on signal wires.

6. On 3S I'd recommend 10" props. More thrust and should me a bit more efficient, but it depends on weight. Play around, see which ones give you better performance and battery life.
n3mo is offline Find More Posts by n3mo
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:21 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I'll try to remember to thank you in my video
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:17 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
I did all those changes tonight - put the 10 inch props on, fixed the wires. It took about an hour to make wires but I did what you said, I put one plug across three signal channels, then one full plug for power in the aux channel which I use for leveling, then I made a single wire for the other signal channel. Did a receiver test and it's all working good! Too dark to fly tonight but I'll do it tomorrow. Picked up a bigger battery and mounted the GoPro on it too... you were right, mounting the battery the other way lets me balance against the GoPro. Thanks again