HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:23 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,599 Posts
Discussion
A little of this, and a little of that......

So there I was, standing in my man-cave today, determined to make a big dent in the myriad of boxes stacked therein, some of which have been sealed up for 10 years, and shlepped countless thousands of miles to and fro across this great country of ours over that time.

Slowly but surely, progress was made, boxes being opened, the few treasures being separated from the overwhelming quantities of junk, the junk being thrown away, or re-boxed for the Salvation Army.

Finally I come down to the last box.... a big one....big enough for several sailplane kits. Inside is a Res-Maxx partial kit I bought from a fellow club member several years ago. On to the "to-build someday" shelf she goes. Also is a built, but never flown Mountain Models Sceptre, an Art Hobby Sierra kit with a damaged fuse and no tail feathers, and a Cumic Plus kit with a well-built set of tail feathers, but utterly destroyed wings. Dejected and disgusted, I considered for a while the possibility of selling off the Sierra wings and Cumic fuse and tail feathers here in the FS/W forum.

Then inspiration hit like a frying pan to an animated cartoon character's noggin.... why not put the Sierra wings on the Cumic fuse and tail? I've never had any qualms about adding my own little mods to kits, but I've never taken such a Frankensteinish plunge, grafting major bits of two beings into one. I'm a little anxious about this, but I see no reason why it won't work. It's gonna drive the players in the "can you identify this sailplane" threads bonkers!

Wish me luck, and I hope my evening rant didn't bore you
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:36 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post

Heck no, keep us updated. Just make sure you select the proper brain! Recall the movie Young Frankenstein?

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:00 AM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2005
34 Posts
Good luck and show us some pictures. Should be interesting with RG-15 wings.

James
jp_fritz is offline Find More Posts by jp_fritz
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,785 Posts
Yep... bored...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
..... I hope my evening rant didn't bore you

Thank you, Schrederman, for dashing my hopes all to pieces!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:32 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,785 Posts
I'm always here for you... you know that...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,742 Posts
I'm familiar with both planes, no reason it shouldn't work. Keep us posted.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:11 PM
Go ARMY! Beat Navy.
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2012
99 Posts
Sounds like fun to me.....you could name it "Abby" as in the Young Frankenstein brain. I have some big pieces laying around also, Thermal 73 wing, Icarus fuse, original Oly II wings......maybe it's time to head for the laboratory.
Dave Craig is offline Find More Posts by Dave Craig
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:47 AM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,873 Posts
I'll second the pictures request.Specially of the starting bits before they get together.
Not to bust your bubble LV,but I did this very same thing way yy yyy back when I invented DS (that's right ) with a first generation duralene Katie II fuse and Graupner ASW-22 wings.
What with the extra weight of the 1/4" ply wing saddle filler, and lead,it really moved out.
There I was atop the Bird Rd. slope sight rustling a 20+ breeze,kiting this thing way up above and slightly behind me then pointing it down the slope face so I could hear it scream when it went by.
The coolest thing is the lack of fear when flying a frankenplane.So much so that I developed a groove to where I didn't need to climb-n-pause at the top before ripping down the slope.
I learned DS,high speed tuck,and servo stall all in the same moment that day.It made such a racket ploughing into the hardpack my buddy had to ask if I was OK (he kept a good 20 yards distant that day).
And no I didn't cry,I got dirt in my eye from the impact.
Not 4 ft. away.
And L O U D.
So Yeah! Go Frankenplane!!!
Skies
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:17 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Heck no, keep us updated. Just make sure you select the proper brain! Recall the movie Young Frankenstein?

Curtis
Igor: Abby someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby... Normal.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby Normal?
Igor: I'm almost sure that was the name.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:57 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring

Curtis
No, it didn't, but you spoiled your mystery sailplane gag. And if this plane is going to be a "Young frankenstein', it's going to have a very big....um..."elevator"?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:29 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,026 Posts
I think you should fly the Sceptre. I flew one that someone had overbuilt until it weighed a lot more, and it flew ok. I suspect a lighter one would fly pretty well.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I think you should fly the Sceptre. I flew one that someone had overbuilt until it weighed a lot more, and it flew ok. I suspect a lighter one would fly pretty well.
The Sceptre was a joy to build. I don't see why she wouldn't fly well. I'm gonna have to find the wing joiner, or get a new one....
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:41 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,873 Posts
Go for it LV, as long as it loosely qualifies in the TLAR scheme its worth a go just for curiosity sakes if nothing else.

Sometimes these experiments can work surprisingly well. sometimes not so but its all good.

atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
I put a 4-servo Spirit 100 wing on an Alcyone fuselage about 15 years ago....it was a TERRIFIC flyer. I love Frankenstein planes!
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker