HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2013, 09:15 AM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
Siriusflier
what is the difference between the FQv2 and your type of FQ, does it perform better than the FQv2, if it does, what are the parts needed to put it together?
dynam is offline Find More Posts by dynam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2013, 09:57 AM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynam View Post
thanks, I found that page that shows the v202 board wiring and that is exactly how I have mine wired so I do not know what is wrong; unless the board is bad that is all that I can conclude, unless there are some more ideas out there. But think you guys greatly for all the help that has been offered to me thus far.
Make sure you triple check everything. Correct motor placement, correct plug location, correct prop orientation. No offense, but you did have trouble with left vs right previously.

Maybe post a pic of everything wired up? Pull the wires out, so we can easily see which plugs they go to on the board.
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Jul 03, 2013, 10:26 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,117 Posts
@dynam
My advice is to answer the questions the guys trying to help you asked. Sometimes, troubleshooting require taking one step at a time. Otherwise we can confuse ourselves and forget our right from our left.

I didn't see your answer to @siriusflier's question
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
dynam, do all of your v202 do the same thing, or just one. It sounds like you might have a bad reciever board if it is just one that does it.? Are you sure you have the board on there the right way, it also sounds like the reciever board could be installed incorrectly. Post a picture of the board and tell us which motor goes with each plug on the board. There is a picture of the board either on this thread or the V202 thread that shows which plug goes to which motor. I tried to watch your video several times but could not get it to work on my computer or I might have posted something about it earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason4207 View Post
Make sure you triple check everything. Correct motor placement, correct plug location, correct prop orientation. No offense, but you did have trouble with left vs right previously.

Maybe post a pic of everything wired up? Pull the wires out, so we can easily see which plugs they go to on the board.
+1 to what Jason said above. At least post a photo so we can have second, third, fourth set of eyes. Help us help you is always my motto.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 03, 2013, 01:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
thanks will do that ASAP
Old Jul 03, 2013, 05:20 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,280 Posts
Dynam, I no longer have a quad that has not been modded in some way. I did lift tests and posted results in the last 10 days or so. What has been called my monster frankenquad has a YD717 frame, HCW553 booms, YD717 motor holders and props, a V202 receiver board, and Syma X1 motors. It tested to have the most lift and seems to fly faster than the rest. So IMHO the X1 motors are the strongest. The HCW553 motors also seem very strong, and the UDI816 motors, holders, and boom seem very good too. The UDI motor assemblies are what I think MassiveRC uses on his FQs, and they are by far the easiest to use with a v202 to set up a FQ.

All of the above mentioned motors were originally made for heavier Quads than our FQs, I wish I had weighed them individually, because I think they probably have more windings in them. I know my V202 gained at least a gram of weight just from replacing the original motors with the HCW553 motors.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Last edited by siriusflier; Jul 03, 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Add
Old Jul 03, 2013, 09:43 PM
Eye to the sky!
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Just got a new FQ today! And it has Magical YD717 Unicorn props on it!

Man this thing moves! Using my Devo 7E I can maneuver it ever so eloquently around my living room on 60 rates, but with 100 rudder. Take it outside on put it on full 100 and it absolutely rips! No flips until I flip the Throttle Hold switch.

I'm ordering some X1 motors, and I'm going to try an nQX board as well. Should be fun!!! Acro mode!
Old Jul 03, 2013, 09:52 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
3,348 Posts
Jason, it's the newbie in me, but the thought of that rippin' FQ with a nQX FC on board is scary. I'm glad you can handle it. I wish I could. But I've got my hands full (understatement) figuring out what to do with the daintly little nQX in acro mode.

But I be absolutely diggin' my FQ. It rips! (gotta love those props!)
EArHog is offline Find More Posts by EArHog
Old Jul 03, 2013, 10:55 PM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Mar 2013
1,085 Posts
I got the yd717 props in last week. They needed balancing big time! I prefer sanding the top surfaces vs. the tape method. I haven't had to balance a single 1sq prop and I've bought 5 sets... The yd's are nice though and my carbon beauty is even more stable than before! Performance is sick, 35mph+ no problem. I can smoke cars down the street i live on (speed limit is only 25). Even though I have over 2000ft range with my fpv and control setup it can still get away pretty quick! 1000ft in about 18 sec in FFF at 62 % elevator setting!!! I don't know how you guys can fly these things without fpv, I would lose it in a tree or something sooo fast.

Unfortunately flight times don't seem to be effected much though. I was hoping to see an added 1-2min just hovering around, but it's not happening. For the price and wait time plus having to balance the heck out of them, I'd rather go to my local hobby shop and buy the 1sq props for $6 a set. I have yet to try mini pet props, should I bother guys? Are they always well balanced???

I'd really like to see some slow fly props on the market for indoors, fpv, and extended flight times. These yd's, 1sq's and from what I hear mini pet props are great for speed but I'd like to be able to swap for different flying environments/styles.
Ramz Innovations is offline Find More Posts by Ramz Innovations
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2013, 11:18 PM
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,280 Posts
Ramz, minipet props have to be balanced too. And they do perform fairly well, but they are also more fragile. A hit that won't even bend a YD prop might break a MP prop in half. I have been temped to try 1SQ props, but this is the first time I have heard that they don't have to be balanced. I have props from a QR, V202, H36, HCW, and YD, and while a few have not needed balancing, probably at least 80% have needed it.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Old Jul 04, 2013, 06:29 AM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Mar 2013
1,085 Posts
Thanks siriusflier, yeah my experience with the 1sq's has been very good. It seems like they have the best quality control out of the ones I have.
Ramz Innovations is offline Find More Posts by Ramz Innovations
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:54 AM
Do not fear my avatar ...
United States, NY, WOODHAVEN
Joined Dec 2012
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz Innovations View Post
I got the yd717 props in last week. They needed balancing big time! I prefer sanding the top surfaces vs. the tape method. I haven't had to balance a single 1sq prop and I've bought 5 sets... The yd's are nice though and my carbon beauty is even more stable than before! Performance is sick, 35mph+ no problem. I can smoke cars down the street i live on (speed limit is only 25). Even though I have over 2000ft range with my fpv and control setup it can still get away pretty quick! 1000ft in about 18 sec in FFF at 62 % elevator setting!!! I don't know how you guys can fly these things without fpv, I would lose it in a tree or something sooo fast.

Unfortunately flight times don't seem to be effected much though. I was hoping to see an added 1-2min just hovering around, but it's not happening. For the price and wait time plus having to balance the heck out of them, I'd rather go to my local hobby shop and buy the 1sq props for $6 a set. I have yet to try mini pet props, should I bother guys? Are they always well balanced???

I'd really like to see some slow fly props on the market for indoors, fpv, and extended flight times. These yd's, 1sq's and from what I hear mini pet props are great for speed but I'd like to be able to swap for different flying environments/styles.
Can you please detail how you go about balancing your props? I get the sanding thing, but what do you put the prop on? A pin?

Minipet props are nicely balanced apparently because (almost) everything flies better with them. They do not get enough bite on the motor shaft, and they get thrown really easily unless you glue them on. Once you throw one, you'll keep throwing that same one, and the fit will degrade every time you put it back on. They also need a ferrule under them to stop the bottom of the motor from being knocked out on hard inverted landings. For me (IMO), they're not worth the slightly better hovering you get.
elburromjf is offline Find More Posts by elburromjf
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
624 Posts
sorry guys what's the 1sq's?
Old Jul 04, 2013, 10:07 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,117 Posts
1SQ is Nine Eagles or HeliMax' quad.

Props are like $6 at the hobby shop. Too expensive IMHO. Especially given that I don't really have problems with various brands of props I have tried so far.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 04, 2013, 04:03 PM
Eye to the sky!
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elburromjf View Post
Can you please detail how you go about balancing your props? I get the sanding thing, but what do you put the prop on? A pin?

Minipet props are nicely balanced apparently because (almost) everything flies better with them. They do not get enough bite on the motor shaft, and they get thrown really easily unless you glue them on. Once you throw one, you'll keep throwing that same one, and the fit will degrade every time you put it back on. They also need a ferrule under them to stop the bottom of the motor from being knocked out on hard inverted landings. For me (IMO), they're not worth the slightly better hovering you get.

A good alternative to the MP props are the Orange/Black X4v2 clone props from BG. They are cheap, fairly tough, and have the built-in motor guards. They do not fly off easily either. In fact I usually have to press them on very hard to get them fully seated. If it seems like you're using too much pressure try putting them on 1/3 of the way. Take them off and go 2/3 the way. One more time and you can get it all the way on there w/o feeling like you're going to bust the bottom of the motor out.

I think the MP props are better for top speed, but it's nice to have options in your toolkit.

I haven't tried to balance these nano props yet, but have tried on the mini props (V222 GW Props). I used a small screwdriver that fit in the prop hole very nicely and I just spun the prop and added scotch tape to the light side until the prop seemed balanced and didn't always fall to 1 side. But, they still don't seem balanced right.

I'm contemplating ordering a prop balancer, but am not sure if it'll work on props this small.
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:31 PM
Team WarpSquad
Joined Feb 2013
3,348 Posts
I think the reason the MP props tend to pop off of the FQ is because most of us have motor guard/spacer things under the prop. The result is that the MP props aren't provided nearly as much shaft to hold onto as would be typical. I've sanded down the spacers (cut off the bottom of stock v202 props) to shorten them, thereby giving the MP prop a little more room on the shaft of the motor. It helped.

El Burro (aka Scary Avatar) - Use YD717 props and forget about that tedious bidness of spacers under the MP props. Even if you didn't realize significant improvment in performance, you'd benefit from not having the MP props fly off. But them YD717 props are like a supercharger on a Plymouth Barracuda. They take the little FQ into a whole new realm of performance.
EArHog is offline Find More Posts by EArHog