HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Mar 2008
24 Posts
Question
wires on brushless ESC

I have been told that lengthening the 3 wires out of the ESC to the motor will cause problems. What are the problems? what about shortening the wires?
Blind Bay is offline Find More Posts by Blind Bay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,079 Posts
No. Lengthening the motor wires is Ok. You must be careful about lengthening the wires from the battery to the ESC. A few inches is Ok, but very long battery wires result in voltage spikes than can damage the ESC. Adding extra filter capacitance to the ESC is the remedy if you can't extend the motor wires to position the ESC.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:29 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,453 Posts
I don't know who told you that but they were wrong. Any length between ESC and motor is fine though it's a good idea for all 3 to be the same length.

Lengthening wires from ESC to BATTERY can cause problems as has been discussed here dozens of times.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Mar 2008
24 Posts
wires on Brushless ESC

thanks for the quick reply guys. I only need to extend the wires from the ESC
about 2" I am using a HobbyKing 120A watercooled Esc. Being that it didn't come with bullet connectors soldered, I will extend the wires before soldering the bullet conns. I have some 12 ga. wet noodle wire which should work good.
Blind Bay is offline Find More Posts by Blind Bay
Last edited by Blind Bay; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:43 AM.