Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Can I move this little green ring thingy that is on the signal wire for the ESC, anywhere along the wire?
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:40 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Flybarless Fixed Pitch 450

All the parts are here and I am on my way. Just going to test fit everything up top, then find a way to level and lock the swashplate so I can setup a 5 degree pitch. More to come.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Flybarless Fixed Pitch 450 Build 2

Well I got the hard part out of the way which was setting up the swash spacers to get a fixed 5 degree pitch. What I used was a one-way bearing sleeve for the gears. I managed to cut it right at the flang perfectly the first time so that I could use both pieces. The flanged piece on the bottom and the other on top with a brass shim from the blade grip assembly. Took a bit of time maintaining a level swash and moving the bottom sleeve up and down to get the 5 degrees, but for now it appears to be perfect. Hopefully when I get it off the ground for the first time it will also think it is perfect.

BTW, to level the swash I first put a level on the chassis, then lined the swash up with a line on the computer screen.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
342 Posts
you lot... dont DARE tell ma wife i am thinking a '45/450 copter is NEXT... lol
nice thread, i best clik favs huh
cheers arrow
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
131 Posts
Nice work arrowshooter. Look at the Tarot 450 TT FBL kit on OOmodel.com for $119.00.
That is the one I would love to build with decent electronics, especially deserving of a new Transmitter and reciever too. Unless you know of a cheaper route. ie Buy a used one on ebay or craigslist. There is a Trex 500 near me for like $625, with everything and extras. Thats just a lot at once and a way bigger heli to deal with. I'll just fly the crap out of the F45 for now and not spent on it and save for a 6CH CCPM Clone 450 project, and fit it into a nice fuselage and fly it scale because I could not afford to crash it LoL. Check out the Helipad I made. What do you think? Everyone? F45 thread F45/450----Conversion, whatever, all these Helis are awesome. I want to see your new build flying soon. Cheers, ScottHeli
scottheli is offline Find More Posts by scottheli
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:03 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
485 Posts
Great thread! A 450 FP heli!

Maybe when I get the hang of this F45, I can move on up a bit!

I have one noob question though: If you wanted to use the 450's belt driven tail, how could you tie the gyro in with a servo instead of the brushed motor- while keeping the F45 Rx/PCB?
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Last edited by kpinnc; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:33 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Great thread! A 450 FP heli!

Maybe when I get the hang of this F45, I can move on up a bit!

I have one noob question though: If you wanted to use the 450's belt driven tail, how could you tie the gyro in with a servo instead of the brushed motor- while keeping the F45 Rx/PCB?
That is what makes the difference between the F45/450 and a straight 450 conversion. In order to opperate the belt drive tail you need to use a different receiver that will drive the servo. I use the walkera 2437V with a 3 axis gyro out of the V200D01. I have the gyro turned down on the heli with the F45 rotor because of the flybar, but with the flybarless system I am building I will turn it up.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:53 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Well I got the hard part out of the way which was setting up the swash spacers to get a fixed 5 degree pitch. What I used was a one-way bearing sleeve for the gears. I managed to cut it right at the flang perfectly the first time so that I could use both pieces. The flanged piece on the bottom and the other on top with a brass shim from the blade grip assembly. Took a bit of time maintaining a level swash and moving the bottom sleeve up and down to get the 5 degrees, but for now it appears to be perfect. Hopefully when I get it off the ground for the first time it will also think it is perfect.

BTW, to level the swash I first put a level on the chassis, then lined the swash up with a line on the computer screen.
I'm going to make a suggestion. I would start with about 8 degrees pitch. With 5 degrees, you will only have just enough pitch to hover and maybe not enough to lift off. The other thing with pitch that low is the head speed will have to be very high to achieve any lift. If it is your first test, the high head speed will make the heli very responsive and twitchy, making it very hard to handle if your not ready for it.
I am interested to see how it goes. I noticed you got the DFC head. After your first test, inspect the blade mounts for any play as these heads often don't like low head speed due to their design. I am not familiar with the hobby wing, but the Align has had some issues when using low head speed.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I'm going to make a suggestion. I would start with about 8 degrees pitch. With 5 degrees, you will only have just enough pitch to hover and maybe not enough to lift off. The other thing with pitch that low is the head speed will have to be very high to achieve any lift. If it is your first test, the high head speed will make the heli very responsive and twitchy, making it very hard to handle if your not ready for it.
I am interested to see how it goes. I noticed you got the DFC head. After your first test, inspect the blade mounts for any play as these heads often don't like low head speed due to their design. I am not familiar with the hobby wing, but the Align has had some issues when using low head speed.
Only reason for the 5 degrees is that is where I was headed with the Funcopter mod. I will keep it like this for the moment just to see if it will lift off today, then I will give it a bump to 8. All I will need to do is take out the shim above the swash. I will also keep an eye on the blade mounts. Thanks for the advise.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:38 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Only reason for the 5 degrees is that is where I was headed with the Funcopter mod. I will keep it like this for the moment just to see if it will lift off today, then I will give it a bump to 8. All I will need to do is take out the shim above the swash. I will also keep an eye on the blade mounts. Thanks for the advise.
Arrow, since I was just going to give my Funcopter a spin, I checked the installed pitch and it is at 7 degrees. Just a FYI.

Let us know how your maiden went.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Arrow, since I was just going to give my Funcopter a spin, I checked the installed pitch and it is at 7 degrees. Just a FYI.

Let us know how your maiden went.
I assumed the it was 5 because the blade mount is 5. Thanks for checking that. I am going to go ahead and make the change before I slap on the training gear.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Ended up taking .6mm off the spacer to give me a llittle adjustment room and ended up at about 9 degrees without a shim. I will try this first as soon as the neighbors wakeup and have their coffee. LOL
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Well I guess 9 degrees was a little much. LOL Broke rotor control link and stripped a servo when it jumps off the ground straight to the dirt. Oops!
Last edited by arrowshooter; Feb 01, 2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Well I guess 9 degrees was a little much. LOL Broke rotor control link and stripped a servo when it jumps off the ground straight to the dirt. Oops!
Man, I commend you on what youre trying to achieve with this BUT, and I really do try to keep my opinions to myself;

The way I see it is that building a CP heli and using the Tx to moderate the pitch will be more of a winner. Theres no good way to put this, but FP just sucks.

Although with enough broken parts and trial and error, this may fly somewhat good, but never as should be. I fought this line of thinking for a bit also, and once I got into the Cp's proper and by design a FBL, I'll never look back.

Just my opinion tho, and maybe posting PUI isnt the best way to get the point across....... I digress
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Man, I commend you on what youre trying to achieve with this BUT, and I really do try to keep my opinions to myself;

The way I see it is that building a CP heli and using the Tx to moderate the pitch will be more of a winner. Theres no good way to put this, but FP just sucks.

Although with enough broken parts and trial and error, this may fly somewhat good, but never as should be. I fought this line of thinking for a bit also, and once I got into the Cp's proper and by design a FBL, I'll never look back.

Just my opinion tho, and maybe posting PUI isnt the best way to get the point across....... I digress
LOL, no worries. I respect any and all opinions as I have my own too. Right now, I just don't see the point of CP, with all the tweeks and settings and what not. All I want is a helicopter that will go out and back and do circles so to speak, and I found that in the F45. I had been watching with aw, other folks converting 450's to fixed pitch, and to have a larger heli (bigger is better right?) that would do all I need to do became my next goal. Then when OldOz started his first conversion I had to jump. As that heli blossomed, I felt that I needed to extract all that I could from the 450 platform and keep it FP. But, I needed to do it unlike the others I have seen and hence, here I am. I guess it's the tinker factor that keeps me going.

Now, if all I do is go out and break parts because it flat don't work, I will slap the CP head on there, buy a new Tx/Rx and have at it. I will probably need bigger training gear though, since what I had on there today had no effect on the outcome.

More to come.