HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:25 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNGun View Post
I have the same type frame as you. How in the world did you mount your servo's. The spacer that came with mine don't seem to be working unless I'm just doing something wrong here.

And also looks like the Aleron servo needs a longer arm in order to reach the linkage. And I though this was going to be easy lol.

I see I need ball links for the servo which are not included in any servo package looks like more parts to be order.
Servoes are mounted top right front (aileron) and left rear (elevation). You need to lengthen the aileron arm with a piece from another arm. I used F45 screws to hold together. You should have spare ball links in your kit meant for mounting the linkages.

The little black "spacers" slide into the slots in the frame with the wide part in. Some might be tight but they will go on.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Mar 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:14 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Feb 2013
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Servoes are mounted top right front (aileron) and left rear (elevation). You need to lengthen the aileron arm with a piece from another arm. I used F45 screws to hold together. You should have spare ball links in your kit meant for mounting the linkages.

The little black "spacers" slide into the slots in the frame with the wide part in. Some might be tight but they will go on.
Yea I see how the spacer are suppose to go in now sitting playing with it now. See that they slide in very tight fit screw hold not lining up but may have them in backwards. I'll get it.
And no I did not have any ball links in my package at all a long with a few other missing parts. Will have to order them which mean another long wait.
I see if I'm going to do a second build I need to have a supply of all the little pats needed.
Once I get the servo mounted I'll post a picture of the frame work then will be a matter of getting the swash level and electronic tested and mounted.. First time building.

I see what you did for the front servo to get the servo arm to reach the linkage that's what I though I would have to do picture sure help a lot. Also the spacer that's just above the front servo that's support both sides of the frame I'm missing that spacer. Who ever put this package together was not paying attention to what they were doing cause I'm missing a lot of parts here.

Okay servos are mounted
SmokeNGun is offline Find More Posts by SmokeNGun
Last edited by SmokeNGun; Mar 10, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
I know how you feel. The last kit I got was missing a few parts too, but instead of the seller just sending me those parts, he sent me a whole new kit for no charge. Now I got lots of spare parts.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
210 Posts
Smokengun

Hey, who's kit are you using if you don't mind my asking? Align clone but from what supplier?
tracker1955 is offline Find More Posts by tracker1955
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:59 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
After getting completely frustrated with my new radio, I decided to do something I knew something about. I went out to my shop and started making parts for this mod. By this evening, I had made some progress. I don't feel so frustrated about this build now.

I don't claim to have come up with any of this. These mods are very similar to some I've seen on Helifreak. I don't have the cool CNC toys, so I have to make all this stuff by hand. My edges aren't as crisp, and the cuts aren't as straight, but it turned out good enough for me.

The FC motor won't fit the standard 450 frame, so I made a new lower half to fit the motor in:

Had to use some ugly washers and bolts, but this is just a test fit. The motor mount might not be pretty, but it will certainly hold everything together.

Kinda blurry, but here's the swash mod. I need to shorten the horn a bit to make the linkages line up a bit better, but I'll get that later.

Forgive the strapped together mess of the wires. I just stuck everything together in a hurry, and I know some of this stuff doesn't go where I have it.

At least I made some decent progress. Now I can get back to the dang radio setup...
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Boy howdie! Lookin good.

So where are you with the Radio?

Can you move the aileron link to 90 degrees on the swash?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Quote:
Boy howdie! Lookin good.

So where are you with the Radio?

Can you move the aileron link to 90 degrees on the swash?
Thanks Arrow.

The radio? I'm completely lost. FlySky 9x.... Too dang many options! LOL The throw on the cyclic controls and throttle are only 50%, and only work on half the quadrants. The freaking manual I downloaded is 52 pages long, so it's gonna take a little time to figure it all out.

The aileron link- I assume you mean moving it like this:

I still have to make a main shaft. The 5mm one is just resting on the motor as a reference for centering. All of this will come back apart before anything much else happens.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Yes, move that one over. What did you use to make that ring?

Don't know anything about that radio, but how are the trims setup?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Quote:
Yes, move that one over. What did you use to make that ring?

Don't know anything about that radio, but how are the trims setup?
I cut a piece of scrap aluminum I had in the shop, and bent it around a socket wrench. Drill 3 holes and viola! Yeah, I'm gonna move the link back. It's just "roughed in" right now.

The radio trims... Gotta be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm looking at. ALL of the subtrims are set 100% high and low- which I know is wrong, but I can't select some of them to change it. The 9X radios have open source software, so they are flash-able with any number of several mods online. Trouble is, the stock software is kinda awkward to say the least. Plus, I can't work with it if anyone is at home. Every press of any button has a beep that I can't shut off. Only a few beeps and four women start complaining all at once... LOL
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Dang. Way too many options for this old boy. My walkera is so simple it hurts.

Thanks for the tip on the ring. I will consider that for the 500 instead of buying a swash for $60.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Quote:
I will consider that for the 500 instead of buying a swash for $60.
Zactly! I get tired of buying parts in a big hurry. Quite a bit of this stuff can be made rather simply with basic tools.

Everything I made today was done with a Sharpie pen to trace the dimensions, a grinder with a cut-off wheel, a flat rasp file, and some sandpaper. Cordless drill took care of the rest. Took less than two hours, and that was throwing the first frame halves away and starting over. I love to tinker!

Quote:
Dang. Way too many options for this old boy. My walkera is so simple it hurts.
I may have messed up. I could have flown this bird with a 4 channel cheapo, but the 9X kinda appeared out of nowhere CHEAP! I figured the radio would grow as my skills and fleet does... LOL

It may prove to be the thing that slows me down quite a bit. I've been searching the internet, but there are so many mods out there for this radio I can't tell if what I'm reading is about stock or modded radios. A non-Chinglish manual would be helpful too... LOL
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:50 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
I cut a piece of scrap aluminum I had in the shop, and bent it around a socket wrench. Drill 3 holes and viola! Yeah, I'm gonna move the link back. It's just "roughed in" right now.

The radio trims... Gotta be honest, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm looking at. ALL of the subtrims are set 100% high and low- which I know is wrong, but I can't select some of them to change it. The 9X radios have open source software, so they are flash-able with any number of several mods online. Trouble is, the stock software is kinda awkward to say the least. Plus, I can't work with it if anyone is at home. Every press of any button has a beep that I can't shut off. Only a few beeps and four women start complaining all at once... LOL
Are you sure those are sub trims, or travel adjust. The way you access them is when you are doing elevator, move the stick forward and you can set the forward setting. Move it back and you set the rear setting.
In the model, I think, you need to set the swash type from the default one servo.
The 9x takes a little will to get use to it's quirks, but it really is not hard if you play with it a bit. The throttle is probably an issue because the ESC needs the throttle end points set. Check that your throttle direction is set the right way. You may need to reverse it.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure those are sub trims, or travel adjust. The way you access them is when you are doing elevator, move the stick forward and you can set the forward setting. Move it back and you set the rear setting.
In the model, I think, you need to set the swash type from the default one servo.
The 9x takes a little will to get use to it's quirks, but it really is not hard if you play with it a bit. The throttle is probably an issue because the ESC needs the throttle end points set. Check that your throttle direction is set the right way. You may need to reverse it.
Good points! Thank you!

I'm also going to reset this thing to factory default. This radio is used. The previous owner bought it and didn't like it. Like me, he had a difficult time setting it up, but was trying to set up foamies and gliders. At least resetting it will give me a clean slate. Right now I don't know if I'm fighting the setup, or previous settings.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Feb 2013
308 Posts
Blades

Not sure if this has been mention before. I know I will be need them soon.
What type of blades should I be looking for for this FP 450 heli

Should the blade already have some sort of pitch to them or will my blade pitch be set by the radio ?

If I need to get 450 blade with a pitch where is the best place to buy them ?
And are these Carbon Fiber Blade or wooden blades ? I know it does not take much to damage wooden blade so would like to stay away from them until I get better at flying.
SmokeNGun is offline Find More Posts by SmokeNGun
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Jan 2013
440 Posts
Quote:
Not sure if this has been mention before. I know I will be need them soon.
What type of blades should I be looking for for this FP 450 heli

Should the blade already have some sort of pitch to them or will my blade pitch be set by the radio ?
Both basic types have been used in this thread. I'm using Funcopter blades and grips, preset at 5 degrees. Others have used regular 450 blades and set the pitch up manually. Not sure which is best, except to say there's nothing to set up with FP blades. On the other hand, there's no adjustments that can be made either.

50-50 in my opinion. I don't know which will actually work better, except that FP blades won't require crazy high head speeds. Less likely to break stuff with lower head speeds...