HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:00 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Just As I get my video skills right, this happens. Cheap aileron servo goes out and CRASH. Bent brand new main shaft to boot. No more until I get the metal ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykmy7...ature=youtu.be
Oops. Good thing Align parts are cheap. Yes, cheap servos are not so cheap, especially on flybarless.
I used cheap servos on my 250 and 10 outings and they were done. I replaced them with more cheap servos and they are just about done as well.
I went for 20.00 digital metal gear servos to replace when I convert it to flybarless.
It did look very stable though when you first took off. Looking good.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:57 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
484 Posts
Quote:
Looking good.
I agree, that was awesome!

Sorry about the servo. That's gotta stink.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
AtTheCross, who is a top notch guy and knows these FC's better than anyone.
+1000
ATC is definitely top notch. One of the nicest and most helpful guys you will ever talk to online. And absolutely yes, he is the man when it comes to the funcopter.
hankster1225 is offline Find More Posts by hankster1225
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Just As I get my video skills right, this happens. Cheap aileron servo goes out and CRASH. Bent brand new main shaft to boot. No more until I get the metal ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykmy7...ature=youtu.be
Bird was looking good arrow, bummer the servo give out. Nothing I can say will help the situation, but I re-loaded a old video of mine to show I know what it feels like. On the third flight, I dumb thumb this puppy right into the groundÖurrr. Plus being a FP450 with the Funcopter blades and 255kv direct drive motor this video should fit this thread nicely.

DD 450 FIRST CRASH (4 min 1 sec)
hankster1225 is offline Find More Posts by hankster1225
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:26 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
484 Posts
Awesome vid!

I think I recently posted my plans to marry a FC rotor head to a 500 frame, like it was something new. After seeing your threads as well as ATC's, I seem to have been mistaken. You guys should go ahead and plan to see PMs from me! LOL.

I noticed you have a somewhat larger front drive pulley, much like the Esky versions. I assume that makes up for the slower head speed driving a semi-standard tail rotor?

Awesome work! I love the way these FC rotors fly.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:10 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster1225 View Post
Bird was looking good arrow, bummer the servo give out. Nothing I can say will help the situation, but I re-loaded a old video of mine to show I know what it feels like. On the third flight, I dumb thumb this puppy right into the ground…urrr. Plus being a FP450 with the Funcopter blades and 255kv direct drive motor this video should fit this thread nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5ga...ature=youtu.be
I have always been impressed at how you fly that thing so fast is such a small area. So how thick is that main shaft anyway? The Align shaft will bend if you tip over just right (wrong).
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I have always been impressed at how you fly that thing so fast is such a small area. So how thick is that main shaft anyway? The Align shaft will bend if you tip over just right (wrong).
My pet peeve!
The align shaft in the Align CP450 will bend if you even look at it wrong - blades hit grass (only): bent shaft. Blades hit my LEG once: bent shaft - and only a minor bruise to my leg. Why on earth a 5mm shaft? - Kudos to MJX for the 6mm!
Oh well, answer is just don't hit anything . At least doesn't seem to bend in the f45/450.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:10 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
I have even bought one of the "high carbon" numbers and it bend just as easy, so I just ordered 3 of the plain old ones.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Awesome vid!

I think I recently posted my plans to marry a FC rotor head to a 500 frame, like it was something new. After seeing your threads as well as ATC's, I seem to have been mistaken. You guys should go ahead and plan to see PMs from me! LOL.
When it comes to a 500 size fixed pitch helicopter, johnnycat and ATC are the go to guys. Iíve never built anything larger than a 450Ömy front yard is way too small for that big of a bird. If I remember right, johnnycat turned down the top section of the 500 8mm shaft to 4mm so the funcopter rotor hub was a direct fit. But again, it was a while ago, so canít be sure. I know he did a build thread on it, if you want Iíll try to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
I noticed you have a somewhat larger front drive pulley, much like the Esky versions. I assume that makes up for the slower head speed driving a semi-standard tail rotor?

Awesome work! I love the way these FC rotors fly.
Yes itís a 50T pulley. When Johnnycat was designing the 450 frame to incorporate the funcopter direct drive motor, we added the largest pulley we could found at the time. On my FP DD450, I measure the max headspeed on 3s at 2190rpm. The 50T pulley give a tail ratio of 4.55 to 1, so tail rpm was around 9965. This was still a little low for a 450, so to compensate for this we used larger tail blades.
hankster1225 is offline Find More Posts by hankster1225
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:24 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I have always been impressed at how you fly that thing so fast is such a small area. So how thick is that main shaft anyway? The Align shaft will bend if you tip over just right (wrong).
Iíve only flown at a big field a couple times. For the most part, I only fly in my front yard. Believe meÖI have hit everything there is to hit in my yard. lol! Trees, flag pole, powerlines, cars and yes even the house. Luckily when I was learning how to fly, it was on a small 300 size fixed pitch and never cause too much damage to anything other than the helicopter itself.

Using a standard 450 5mm shaft in this bird. Been luckily I guessÖ canít recall bending many shafts. I think this is mainly due to the design of the funcopter blade grips, as they fold up most of the time during blade strikes.

Check out the impact at 2:40 in this video. Believe it or not, the main shaft did not get bent. I still watch it and canít believe it. lol!
FP450 FBL CRASH (6 min 14 sec)
hankster1225 is offline Find More Posts by hankster1225
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:55 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
I watched that in slow mo on the other site and saw that branch reaching out. Have to give it to the funcopter head, it's tough. How many of those blue servos did you go through? I have bought 8 and am down to 2. 1 went to the elevator and the rest to the aileron.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:04 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
484 Posts
Quote:
Yes it’s a 50T pulley. When Johnnycat was designing the 450 frame to incorporate the funcopter direct drive motor, we added the largest pulley we could found at the time. On my FP DD450, I measure the max headspeed on 3s at 2190rpm. The 50T pulley give a tail ratio of 4.55 to 1, so tail rpm was around 9965. This was still a little low for a 450, so to compensate for this we used larger tail blades.

Thanks Hankster! Great to know stuff!
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2009
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
I watched that in slow mo on the other site and saw that branch reaching out. Have to give it to the funcopter head, it's tough. How many of those blue servos did you go through? I have bought 8 and am down to 2. 1 went to the elevator and the rest to the aileron.
Over the past few years, I would say Iíve gone through at least a few dozen HXT900 servos. Theyíve been good to me in the air, but canít take a crash for S#!T. Which is okay with me, for three/four dollar a pop, I think of them as disposable. Once I crash, I replace all of them, even if one still seems good. This way I limit the chance of an in-flight failure caused by a servo I thought was still good.
hankster1225 is offline Find More Posts by hankster1225
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:20 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster1225 View Post
Over the past few years, I would say Iíve gone through at least a few dozen HXT900 servos. Theyíve been good to me in the air, but canít take a crash for S#!T. Which is okay with me, for three/four dollar a pop, I think of them as disposable. Once I crash, I replace all of them, even if one still seems good. This way I limit the chance of an in-flight failure caused by a servo I thought was still good.
I am going to try a couple of the $8 metal servos just because, but have a number of the blue jods on order just because they ARE cheap.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:31 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Align DFC vs. Hobbymate

Just so you can get an idea of the major difference between the Hobbymate and the Align DFC Heads, which is the arm off the blade grip for the control linkage. The Hobbymate arm bends and I don't see that happening to the Align.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review WLtoys V912 4-Channel Fixed Pitch Helicopter Mini-Review FyreSG Micro Helis 7228 Today 02:23 PM
Help! MSR Fixed Pitch Question Dubbin1 Micro Helis 3 Jan 11, 2013 08:46 AM
Discussion outdoor four channel fixed pitch heli hereathome Electric Heli Talk 24 Jan 05, 2013 11:15 PM
Discussion BlitzRCWorks Ghost FP RC Fixed Pitch thintz Micro Helis 1 Jan 05, 2013 02:32 PM
Sold 450 Heli tool Lot Align pitch, Swash level, link pliers, more -S- Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 May 16, 2010 08:07 PM