HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Maybe before I tackle the more-than-two-blades thing, I will consider a fixed pitch 500 project.
I've been meaning to ask you how big we could go with FP, the 450 isn't all that much bigger than the F45 after all....
Scott in NH is offline Find More Posts by Scott in NH
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:17 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NH View Post
I've been meaning to ask you how big we could go with FP, the 450 isn't all that much bigger than the F45 after all....
Well............If I could figure out how to build a fixed pitch heli using a KTM 250 engine, I'd be all over it.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on an official Align 450 DFC flybarless head to compare to the Hobbymate item. So, see'ya F45 rotor head on my original F45/450..
Last edited by arrowshooter; Feb 15, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:25 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Ah well, you win Arrowshooter!
After 3 weeks of trying to go full BL with the F45 PCB, finally cracked and went back to the Futuba 6ch. Good hover straight off, feel it'll do better than my F45 version F45/450 with a bit more R&D.
Also worked OK with Turnigy 2211 tail (in ACRO mode), but belt just seems easier.
Align (or Align compat) Frame, motor, ESC, gyro, tail, gear, driveshaft, skids, canopy + Futuba Rx/Tx - we're not in Kansas anymore with this, I guess. Just as well we have your thread to put it on!

PS - after putting 5 packs through it back to back (mainly hover) nothing electronic was more than warm.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Feb 16, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Ah well, you win Arrowshooter!
After 3 weeks of trying to go full BL with the F45 PCB, finally cracked and went back to the Futuba 6ch. Good hover straight off, feel it'll do better than my F45 version F45/450 with a bit more R&D.
Also worked OK with Turnigy 2211 tail (in ACRO mode), but belt just seems easier.
Align (or Align compat) Frame, motor, ESC, gyro, tail, gear, driveshaft, skids, canopy + Futuba Rx/Tx - we're not in Kansas anymore with this, I guess. Just as well we have your thread to put it on!

PS - after putting 5 packs through it back to back (mainly hover) nothing electronic was more than warm.
Nice! You should try that with 3s. Gets a real good head of steam up, and as I mentioned, the F45 blades start flapping away if you have to punch it. Sounds like a covey of Quail taking off. LOL
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:40 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Ha! - great minds and all that.
Just ran through a 3s pack (set to 90% in normal) - no problems at all. In fact a bit of extra zing in maneuvers.
But of course, this is an Align 3550kv motor with 13T pinion - not the HK 5kv+. Think that on a 13T with 3s would certainly put the rotor head and blades into orbit .
Think we're probably getting close to the limits of the possible with any available FP (pitched) blades anyway: and probably close to the limits of the F45 plastic head. A shame, because it puts an upper limit of 450 size on our upsized FPs.
However, probably not a real tragedy, as anything bigger would probably be too dangerous for park flying: and get tons of derision at a flying field (ours, anyway).
There's also the argument that 500 CP and up gets progressively easier to fly the basic routines available to FP - maybe there's no need. But as a fun big backyard/park flyer, think our f45/450s are unbeatable!

PS And just about unbreakable, which is a really big win after the angst of 450 repairs when the blades hit anything whatsoever other than air.

Edit - remember this - actually flew home. Do that with a CP lol
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OldOz; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Just ran through a 3s pack (set to 90% in normal) - no problems at all. In fact a bit of extra zing in maneuvers.
But of course, this is an Align 3550kv motor with 13T pinion - not the HK 5kv+. Think that on a 13T with 3s would certainly put the rotor head and blades into orbit .
Think we're probably getting close to the limits of the possible with any available FP (pitched) blades anyway: and probably close to the limits of the F45 plastic head. A shame, because it puts an upper limit of 450 size on our upsized FPs.
However, probably not a real tragedy, as anything bigger would probably be too dangerous for park flying: and get tons of derision at a flying field (ours, anyway).
There's also the argument that 500 CP and up gets progressively easier to fly the basic routines available to FP - maybe there's no need.

But as a fun backyard/park flyer, think our f45/450s are unbeatable!

PS And just about unbreakable, which is a really big win after the angst of 450 repairs when the blades hit anything whatsoever other than air.

The F45/450 is in fact the ideal park fly. No way I would take the FBL/FP 450 to any park. The field I am going to now is where we have a dirt oval setup for the RC cars/trucks. PLenty of room to get into trouble.

As for the future......Once I finish the FBL/FP conversion of my second heli, I will be on the hunt for a 500 class 90 degree swash plate. Just can't help myself.

MY NAME IS STEVE AND I AM A HELIHOLIC.

I am thinking I may offer some of my F45/450 conversion pieces to someone on the F45 thread who may want to give it a try.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:10 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
my name is steve and i am a heliholic.
lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:25 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Feb 2013
344 Posts
You guys are right about one thing the F45 is a tuff bird bang mine stock bird around a few times and have not broken anything other then a small dent in the tail boom. I can't say that about my honey bee FP 2 every time you ht something with it some will broke on the rotor head. Have broke alot of linkage there really crap. I bought the thing used and have had nothing but bad luck with it. Dam thing fly all over the place, I'm thinking that maybe the main shaft is bent. I have a new one but just have not taken the time to rebuild it yet so into the F45 and now that arrowshooter has me hook on the F45/450. Just waiting on parts now. I don't want to strip my stock F45 for the rotor head although I do have the parts coming mmm..
SmokeNGun is offline Find More Posts by SmokeNGun
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:49 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
I just pulled the trigger on an official Align 450 DFC flybarless head to compare to the Hobbymate item. So, see'ya F45 rotor head on my original F45/450..
I can't wait to see how that one goes. You might want to check out the HK450 continues thread. There are design issues with the 450dfc head where the blade holder links snap off. Someone there modified them with different ball links to correct the issue. The DFC head did not like slow, sport flying head speeds and the dampers only function properly at high, 3D head speeds. I think I remember they had to change to softer dampers to make the heli stable and then the links break.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:56 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,772 Posts
Quote:
There's also the argument that 500 CP and up gets progressively easier to fly the basic routines available to FP - maybe there's no need. But as a fun big backyard/park flyer, think our f45/450s are unbeatable!

Did this one have the brushless tail and if so, did you run it on 11.1 volts as well. I still have my tail on 7.4 volts.
I really would like to get some warm weather so I can take it out again and really put it through some hard flying.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I can't wait to see how that one goes. You might want to check out the HK450 continues thread. There are design issues with the 450dfc head where the blade holder links snap off. Someone there modified them with different ball links to correct the issue. The DFC head did not like slow, sport flying head speeds and the dampers only function properly at high, 3D head speeds. I think I remember they had to change to softer dampers to make the heli stable and then the links break.
Already learned about the broken links the hard (only) way. The little turnbuckle is what breaks and they break when the blades hit the grass, but during flight they are fine so far for me. Back when the Align DFC first came out, the only way to fix a broken link was to buy the whole arm. They have since came out with just the ball joint and turnbuckle. The Hobbymate DFC that I am using now, is a clone of the Align DFC with just a few differences.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
The Align DFC and the Hobbymate DFC.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:02 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
505 Posts
Quote:
I'm hoping to prove this wrong. Working on a 500FP right now, though it does not use the F45 head.
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:37 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Did this one have the brushless tail and if so, did you run it on 11.1 volts as well. I still have my tail on 7.4 volts.
I really would like to get some warm weather so I can take it out again and really put it through some hard flying.
No the quote was referring to my post 199 - am using belt tail (like Arrowshooter) with Futuba 6ch Tx/Rx atm. Though it worked OK with Turnigy 2211 tail (and ACRO program) earlier, decided the belt was simply easier and better - given our 450s build.
Did get it out to the field later later yesterday, between showers. Think this setup is a winner with 3s - went like a rocket, no problem handling a gusty 10 - 20knot wind under conditions I certainly wouldn't have risked a CP in. However, AUW is getting up a bit now, just a tad under 700 g: which is at least probably contributing to the wind stability.
Flew 3 packs before the rain came back: as before, nothing running much more than warm at the end.
Regards
John
RCG Plus Member