HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
The FP450 Maiden Flight

Well, I solved my 20% startup issue by using the very soft start setting on the ESC. Nice easy controlled startup now.

Heli lifted and settled into a hover and I took off forward nice and easy about 20' up. Went out about 100' and turned to the right, then flew another 100' and the next turn to the right was not so smooth. It seems I had no response from the stick input. I finally was able to get it moving forward agan, but then lost total control and it went into a tail spin to the ground. Only damage was to a servo thank goodness.

Turns out the collar holding the swashplate up had slipped as I did not grind flat spots on the main shaft for the grub screws. Dummy! So now I will grind the flats in the main shaft and try again.

Other wise I was impressed at the smoothness up until the collar slipped.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
OMG! I think I finally get what leveling the swashplate is all about when it comes to real gyros. Eyeballing and using the trims defeats the purpose. This old dog learning a bunch of new tricks. LOL
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
That Was A Blast

Took the FP450 out for its second test flight and it held together this time. I will try the video thing again next time

I could not believe how smooth the thing actually handles. It is very responsive, and does exactly what you want it to do. Infact it does it too good! Now I need to work on how far I want the cyclics to travel, because going into a turn the thing would almost flop over on its side. I scared myself more than just a few time but it would snap right out of it. Going forward and putting on the brakes (reverse) it would stand on its tail.

Once I had a handle on how much to move the sticks, nice banked circles were a piece of cake and sure looked purdy. And the sound of the rotor as it flew overhead was the minuture of the real thing.

Like I said, I wll get a video next time so more to come.

Edit : I lied. The video did work but I had pulled my hat down because of the sun and you'll see what happened. I will have it up soon.
Last edited by arrowshooter; Feb 12, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:47 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
485 Posts
Quote:
Edit : I lied. The video did work but I had pulled my hat down because of the sun and you'll see what happened. I will have it up soon.
Anxiously waiting...
kpinnc is online now Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
OK, here it is. Sorry, it's 9 minutes or so and a lot of it is out of frame because I had my hat down too low. I have no idea how to edit. As I said, it got away from me a few time, but I LIKE IT!!!!

Fixed Pitch Flybarless 450 Helicopter (9 min 32 sec)
Last edited by arrowshooter; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Feb 2013
328 Posts
Great job I'm not good at editing myself that's another learning process. Well at lease you know it will fly that's good. Would like to have seen how well it hovers maybe on the next video.

Again Great Job...
SmokeNGun is offline Find More Posts by SmokeNGun
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeNGun View Post
Great job I'm not good at editing myself that's another learning process. Well at lease you know it will fly that's good. Would like to have seen how well it hovers maybe on the next video.

Again Great Job...
Thanks, it's definately a start. BTW I am flying right now with a 2200mAh 2s pack until I get the guts the put the 3s in there.
Last edited by arrowshooter; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
485 Posts
Very nice work! Whole lotta potential there!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:49 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Looks very good to me, too, Arrowshooter.
Got to say am a bit unsure if better to follow you to infinity and beyond, or settle for what I've got in FP world, and push on with CP.
A tough call, as my own latest prototype F45/450 will fly under full control at anything up to 20 knots - which is about as much (or frankly more) than I think I'd ever feel comfortable 'fun flying' with a 450 CP. And yours looks potentially even better.
A big step up from the old stock F45, for sure.
Even as it is, got to say the CP is gathering a bit of dust lately! Between your videos and Rexless' can see myself drifting from the true path as most see it LOL.
Well done
John.
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Looks very good to me, too, Arrowshooter.
Got to say am a bit unsure if better to follow you to infinity and beyond, or settle for what I've got in FP world, and push on with CP.
A tough call, as my own latest prototype F45/450 will fly under full control at anything up to 20 knots - which is about as much (or frankly more) than I think I'd ever feel comfortable 'fun flying' with a 450 CP. And yours looks potentially even better.
A big step up from the old stock F45, for sure.
Even as it is, got to say the CP is gathering a bit of dust lately! Between your videos and Rexless' can see myself drifting from the true path as most see it LOL.
Well done
John.
Thanks John. I also have you to thank for starting me down this path to begin with. I have to say that I am in a very happy place right now with the FP. As soon as I get the rest of the bugs worked out of the gyro and ME, I'll throw the 3s in there and hang on. Gotta make sure that I keep my hat up so I get more of the heli and less grass on the vid, and try a little harder to keep that bugger from flying so close to my darn truck.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
I smell another project! Fixed Pitch Quad Rotor.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
485 Posts
Quote:
Hmmmm.... What flavor is that one? Looks very cool!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:20 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
You will like that. My buddy has a Walkera quad rotor FP and it flies very nice for fixed pitch.
ps use plastic blades as these have no feathering shafts and need a flexible blade.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
You will like that. My buddy has a Walkera quad rotor FP and it flies very nice for fixed pitch.
ps use plastic blades as these have no feathering shafts and need a flexible blade.
Might I ask what difference it would make without a feathering shaft that it would need a plastic blade?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
If you guys go with this route, here are the blades you'll want....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10822
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse