HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Discussion
Fixed Pitch 450 Heli Conversions And More

This thread is dedicated to those of us who just cannot leave well enough alone.

Over in the Micro Heli / MJX F45 thread, some of us have been modifying the F45 to pull every bit of performance we could out of this sturdy little bird. What started out as a conversion from brushed to brushless main and then tail motors, grew to full on parts replacement such as blades and flybars, and most recently the use of parts from the F45 (the PCB, rotor head and tail motor section) to create a Fixed Pitch 450 size helicopter which was dubbed the F45/450 and fly absolutely fantastic. We are not the first to do this and succeed, but are the only ones to use the parts of the F45.

The most difficult parts of the transformation is adapting the F45 rotor head and swashplate to the 450 main shaft, which is 1mm thinner than the F45 main shaft, along with the fashioning of an antirotation bracket. In my case I used a section of old Tx antenna and shrink tubing on the main shaft and made the antirotation bracket out of plastic. The F45 tail section is affixed by cutting off about 1 ” of the F45 tail boom and “shimming” it to fit inside the 450’s tail boom. For me, I again used shrink tubing and a single screw to hold things in place.

We knew we were stretching the limits of still being involved in the MJX F45 thread, but since the major workings were still F45 it was natural to stay put. But, I have crossed the threshold from F45/450 Conversion to full on Fixed Pitch 450 conversion by utilizing the belt driven tail rotor and a 4 in 1 Tx/Rx system. All that remains is the F45 rotor head, so here I am.

Since the FP450 modifications can only be taken so far, I figured this thread could be used by the tinkerers of our kind to bounce ideas around and show off their projects. I know there are other “multi-brand” helis out there that end up in limbo, so here is a place to go. It is not reserved only for the FP450 conversion, but any single rotor helicopter modification adventure that no longer fits in a particular model catagory. Hopefully we can keep this going for a while.

I will kick this off with my two FP450 conversions. One is still the F45/450 with the MJX PCB and Tail Motor, and the other is the belt driven model, full on FP450 conversion which I have more plans for such as Flybarless and possibly the use of a "locked down" CP450 rotor head.

The F45/450 (Protoform):
Align Clone CP450 kit
MJX F45 rotor w/Xtreme Honey Bee Blades
Hobbymate 3800kv motor w/13T
Hobbywing 40A ESC
Tower Pro 9g cyclic servos
MJX F45 Rx and tail motor and gear driven rotor

The FP450 (Proline):
Align Clone CP450 kit
MJX F45 rotor and blades
Hobbymate 3800kv motor 13T
Hobbywing 40A ESC
Tower Pro 9g cyclic servos
Walkera digital rudder servo from the V200D01
Walkera 2437V Rx from the V200D01
Walkera 2403 Tx

Next?
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:18 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,539 Posts
that's what I'm talking about! Now even clown like me understand what this was all about.
asanovrus is online now Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,539 Posts
Beautiful photos. How much do they cost? is it worth doing yourself rather then buying smth like that? especially can't understand conversion to CP or flybarless. Why not use dedicated models?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Bob
What is the total flying weight of your 2 units. Yours as well John.
I am thinking I may just try one of these as I have all the parts to do it just sitting around. I may move the flap flybar head over to this and keep the other real MJX with the standard flybar.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:15 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovrus View Post
Beautiful photos. How much do they cost? is it worth doing yourself rather then buying smth like that? especially can't understand conversion to CP or flybarless. Why not use dedicated models?
Because we like to try different stuff, and love to tinker with helis and other stuff.
Just the way we CRAZY folks are, Hmm maybe the heli manufacturers are lookin here to, to find out what the heli flyers want, and the R&D department is mostly here in the forums, where else can ya find an R&D department with 1000s of workers, for FREE.

Frank
R.C. Prototype Development Center

Wow, I just made that up, but sounds good (Could be a new bussiness idea?)
R.C. Man is online now Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,539 Posts
if they can't write manual in English do you really think they read this? They must have similar forum in Chinese I guess.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:32 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
F-45 Stuffed in a Airwolf Fusealage

Well, am i glad someone (arrow) made another thread,
I dont know if this fits in here, but it is a F-45 thing.

Cut the fuselage for the Airwolf, and stuffed the F-45 chassis on inside,
Not a bad look (even if it aint painted yet) have to cut the wings and scoops, but not today.

What yall think ? ok or not ?

Frank
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:35 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
Quote:
if they can't write manual in English do you really think they read this? They must have similar forum in Chinese I guess.
My manual is in english, for all my helis, chineese or polish. lol
And here you have soooomany people willing to share, who needs a manual.

Frank
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:47 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Man View Post

Not a bad look (even if it aint painted yet) have to cut the wings and scoops, but not today.

Frank
must be stupid question but is it joke or serious?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:49 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
Quote:
must be stupid question but is it joke or serious?
What joke,? The fuse or the 45?
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Bob
What is the total flying weight of your 2 units. Yours as well John.
I am thinking I may just try one of these as I have all the parts to do it just sitting around. I may move the flap flybar head over to this and keep the other real MJX with the standard flybar.
24oz give or take, depending on the battery.

Steve
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:

Frank
I think it is wonderful.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
What joke,? The fuse or the 45?
sorry. I saw picture of heli on the can and misunderstood. I personally have problem with big body of f45 in wind but this kind of coat makes surface even bigger and should add some weight too. I'm thinking how remove lower part of frame which is empty in stock heli(when you convert to brushless it is there where some electronic stuff is put)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:17 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
Quote:
sorry. I saw picture of heli on the can and misunderstood. I personally have problem with big body of f45 in wind but this kind of coat makes surface even bigger and should add some weight too. I'm thinking how remove lower part of frame which is empty in stock heli(when you convert to brushless it is there where some electronic stuff is put)
Hi Asanov,
The body weighs in at 50 grams, whole thing about 300 or so.
Balancing will have to be done, but i have something for that also.

Frank
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
If you use your current F45 as a parts bin you are looking at around $100 US for a clone kit, speed control and motor. The F45 will supply the Rotor Head, PCB, Tail Motor Unit and Servos and Tx. One note about the aileron servo, if you mount it in the standard position on the 450 chassis, you will need to reverse its movement by either reversing the wires in the servo or the Tx. There is quite a bit here and on the web about how to do this. The other option is to move the elevation servo to the front and the aileron servo to the rear. No wiring changes are required with that. An advantage to using the Walkera Tx is that it has a servo reversing function. There are other parts options too. There is one on another forum that went all the way to flybarless using Funcopter parts, and another using I believe a DH9104 head, so anything will work as long as you can mate it together.

There are no dedicated 450 fixed pitch models which is the driving force behind this. If there were one you would be looking at $300 - $400 which makes it totally worth it to do this conversion. With careful shopping I was able to pickup the Walkera radio system for way cheap only adding another $60 to the build.

How you wish to continue is totaly up to you. Personally, If I can make it rather than buy it, I am down. Otherwise I would just spend my life in front of the TV.