HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:36 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
653 Posts
Discussion
Hubsan x4- won't lift off even at full throttle?

Hey guys,
One of my friends received one of these quads for christmas and handed it to me to get it trimmed etc so he could learn to fly. However after a couple of quite severe crashes it no longer wants to take off? It sort of just bounces around in the ground effect, occasionally rising higher but then descending straight away.
I have tried the reset trick with putting the rudder into the bottom right and wiggling the aileron stick but that as to no avail. I thought it may have been a low voltage problem on the battery so I made a connector for my B606 charger and even when fully charged to 4.2v it still doesn't take off :s
I would post a video but we're currently waiting on a replacement prop set.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated,
Thankyou,
James
-james- is offline Find More Posts by -james-
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:24 AM
Foam's Law
Joined Nov 2004
192 Posts
Broken motors for sure - the crashes pop the motor can apart and damage the brushes. Had it twice on my and a friend's Hubsan.

Kev
Davross is offline Find More Posts by Davross
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:40 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2008
653 Posts
Ah ok, how difficult are the motors to replace, and is it worth getting different from stock ones whilst we're at it?
-james- is offline Find More Posts by -james-
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Apr 2007
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -james- View Post
Ah ok, how difficult are the motors to replace, and is it worth getting different from stock ones whilst we're at it?
You can buy 4 from ebay...you have to solder them on to the board...fine tip soldering iron required!......make sure you get them in order,red/blue wires and white/black wires..and them make sure you put the rotors on the right motors (they are marked A and B)
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:10 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
I have four different motors on my Hubsan X4 for months, seriously I don't see any different! like new!
one from my SYMA S107, another from a no brand 3ch copter, the third from UDI 816 spare and one native!

Don't need to solder on the board, you could simply solder the wires together.
Good luck
aka_TEKK is offline Find More Posts by aka_TEKK
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:39 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
891 Posts
Try Massive Overkills Capri Sun straw motor/prop savers. Don't buy your straws from him for $99 I will sell the straw for 49.99

Seriously... they offer excellent motor protection so that hitting the top of the motor no longer will push the bottom out of the motor. Also don't forget to protect the exposed wires on the bottom. Some people use foam ear plugs some use stick on rubber bumpers... I just used a bead of hot glue around the bottom of the legs. My X-4 had the exposed wires protruding past the legs where you would be landing on them instead of the frame. I tried the ear plugs but never got the hang of cutting them equally and ran out of plugs.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:49 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
548 Posts
The wires are so thin that it is best, if possible, to solder back at the board.

I am a relative newbie at soldering and did this with no problem at all with the regular iron I have sitting around (which I have not used in 10+ years).

I have also spliced on my other quads, but I worry because the leads to the motors are so thin and you sometimes lose a few strands when stripping them.

I have another Hubsan on the way (other I put into the ocean!) and will put the straw protectors on this time - it's a pain replacing anything when you don't have to.
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
I had the same
Sort of problem after a crash.
I had replaced one of the blades.
The thing wouldn't take off , after a lot of head
Scratching I realised I had put the wrong spare
Blade on the hubsan thus trying to fly one
Corner of it through the floor.
Hope this may help someone in future.
Marcus churchill is offline Find More Posts by Marcus churchill
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:21 PM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Yep, 1 bad motor will cause the FCB to compensate to keep the craft level resulting in very little overall power.
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Jun 09, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Apologies if this is repeat, but previous threads did not help.

Till yesterday the X4 flew well. Now,

1. Does not lift off ground more than six inches even on full throttle and new batteries.
2. Drifts backwards like mad
3. Did accelerometer recalibration procedure. No change.
4. Checked all motors. They seem to spin OK.
5. One rear left motor rotor has developed slight play, that as it fires, the rotor pulls up by about a mm.
5. Checked thrust of each motor by holding quad in hand and they all seem to respond equally well to TX commands or Gyro.

Thanks for your help.
Wildgeezer is offline Find More Posts by Wildgeezer