HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:13 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
2,943 Posts
Question
Wing tips on a plank

Hi guys,I've been checking out tips shapes here and elsewhere and would appreciate some comments/advice.
The wing is a Pw51 ,1500mm span,200 mm root,150mm tip.Straight l/e,no twist.
I've come across all sorts of tip shapes,including a pic of Peter in rcsd with what appears to be a plank with square tips.
I quite like the idea of starting with a square tip and trying different plug in taped on shapes- including the undercut Hoerner type.
Any comments,advice,hoots of derision would be welcome.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:13 AM
fly foam fast
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,437 Posts
DOOEET!.
I doubt you will notice much difference in performance but it's an idea many of us have considered and few have attempted.

The new molded JW has a blunt taper.

DS foamie record holding Gulp.

The beautiful Windburner.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a 40oz Bee II for DS
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:45 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
2,943 Posts
Thanks for the input.Some nice wheels!Wings also.Can't help noticing that you don't take the surfaces out to the tip,which was going to be another query.I always think they're a bit vulnerable out at the wing tips.So the plan is start with a square and then introduce some curves and angles,see if I notice any difference.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:10 PM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,143 Posts
Looking forward to hearing what you find out.
I have thought about this often and wonder what the difference really is.
Is there a BEST tip shape and does it work on all plan forms or does each plan form
work better with different tips.

On planes I have designed and made myself, I usually end up with something like the ones on theWwindburner, but not sure why, other than I just seem to like that look.

TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER