HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:49 AM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
688 Posts
Discussion
how the hell do you solder that back on???

Having an absolute ball with my v911. Have made heaps of repairs, tried flying it without a flybar, fixed flybar, lost one weight , removed other weight and it was much better. Although my 'dodgy as you like' flybar repairs have left my v911 a vibrating, tbe thing of frustration. I have been overjoyed at the ability of the little bugger to just keep flying. However, we have now hit a stumbling block. The blue wire from main motor has become disconnected from pcb. I can barely see the bare wire I stripped with fingernails to find which miniscule blob of solder it connects to on PCB to make it work again.
How the hell do you guys solder these tiny wires????

Hopefully my 2nd hand Solo Pro will arrive tomorrow and I can fly that instead. I was really looking forward to comparing the two but alas.. Especially as the SP comes with a bunch of spares, inc flybars.
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Last edited by Cannafish; Jan 20, 2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: additional info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:37 AM
Joensuu, Finland
Joined Mar 2002
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
How the hell do you guys solder these tiny wires????
A small enough tip on the soldering iron, a microscope or magnifying glass (10x magnification should be enough) and a steady hand.
jkettu is online now Find More Posts by jkettu
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
188 Posts
A steady hand. I'm horrible at soldering But in the past 3 weeks I've soldered the tail motor & the blue motor wire. I just lay the heli on it's side, take a lighter to the tip of the tiny wire to expose a little wire, add some solder to the wire, then push the wire onto the board & push the solder iron on for a couple seconds
R.sok is offline Find More Posts by R.sok
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
688 Posts
Cheers guys. I reckon I can come up with something along those lines.. More or less.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
How does one make a connection with a pad?

I'm used to soldering wires to pots and switches that have lugs with little holes in them. I've always made sure to create a mechanical connection by hooking the wire through the hole and bending it before soldering, to help prevent cold joints.

What would be the equivalent of this when soldering to a solid pad?

Sorry to sound like a noob. Guess I am one in this case.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:46 PM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
How does one make a connection with a pad?

I'm used to soldering wires to pots and switches that have lugs with little holes in them. I've always made sure to create a mechanical connection by hooking the wire through the hole and bending it before soldering, to help prevent cold joints.

What would be the equivalent of this when soldering to a solid pad?

Sorry to sound like a noob. Guess I am one in this case.
Get a good strip on the wire that doesn't lose any of the strands. Groom the strands by twisting. Tin the wire by melting solder on it until it flows into the strands. While still molten, flick the excess solder off with the tip (flick down and not up into yourself!)

Apply a little solder on the pad. If you have flux, put some on the pad and optionally on the wire. (I assume this is a surface mount pad -one without a hole.)

Hold the wire in one hand, iron in the other and melt the pad and wire solder together. Remove the iron and hold the wire extremely still until the solder sets up. Don't press into the pad and be a quick as possible to avoid lift-off.

If it's not the "no-clean" flux variety, clean the flux off with a brush and alcohol.
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Thanks! Good tips.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
688 Posts
I am unable to solder this wire back on but a friend of mine assures me he can. So hopefully all is not lost :-)
Great tips - thanks. I think I am going to get a dedicated soldering iron for exactly these scenarios. Any recommendations?