HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 AM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
882 Posts
Discussion
Rudder on a wing... Thoughts on my design?

I have been putting Keels on the bottom of my wings for a while now to save props and ease of landing. No ill effects on stability. That got me thinking about putting an actual rudder on.

Here is the design I came up with... I watched Flite Tests attempt and wanted to try something different. Rudder is not functional yet in the pics and I will add it once stability is determined ( Maiden First ). What do you all think?

Nightstone

The added pic is my Armin Simitar build ( Also newly built ).
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,702 Posts
Looks like it would work. On aft swept planforms like your Chevron, locating vertical fins at the wing tips allows stabilization without requiring a separate fuselage like the boom for your centrally located version.

While not a fan of aft swept planforms, I do like planks like your Armin Simitar or forward swept designs. Your Simitar reminds me a bit of the Morris Spinsation.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:52 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT56 View Post
Looks like it would work. On aft swept planforms like your Chevron, locating vertical fins at the wing tips allows stabilization without requiring a separate fuselage like the boom for your centrally located version.

While not a fan of aft swept planforms, I do like planks like your Armin Simitar or forward swept designs. Your Simitar reminds me a bit of the Morris Spinsation.
I think you missed what I am trying to do. The separate boom is for a functioning rudder not a stabilizer. Much easier to put a small fin on the wings for stabilization. Flite test did a vid with a rudder on the wing and then on the tips with poor results. My idea was the boom with a rudder attached. I'm hoping for a more acrobatic wing.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:13 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
231 Posts
I think adding rudder control to a wing would do exactly what you are hoping to achieve more aerobatic possibilities, refer to the new Parkzone Stryker with dual rudders. I think they have at least 1 or 2 videos on their website that show it doing some crazy flat spin moves initiated with the rudders. Just my 2 cents.
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:39 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
I have been putting Keels on the bottom of my wings for a while now to save props and ease of landing. No ill effects on stability. That got me thinking about putting an actual rudder on.

Here is the design I came up with... I watched Flite Tests attempt and wanted to try something different. Rudder is not functional yet in the pics and I will add it once stability is determined ( Maiden First ). What do you all think?

Nightstone

The added pic is my Armin Simitar build ( Also newly built ).
Here's a wing with a functional rudder

http://crashtesthobby.com/products/hercules-66
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:02 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
The rudder makes the biggest difference while ground handling. Whether functional or not your rudder will help with yaw stability. In the air you may find it redundant but it will still be effective.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS