HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:24 AM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
Build Log
Aeromodeller plans-Wren

Well I printed the plans out, bought some lumber, and started stripping the wood. This is a rather compact little airplane so I plan on it being a park flyer type model in weight and performance. I'm going full size to the original with slight modifications to the structure in the nose to take an electric motor of course. I just love the shape of the wing. The article says the model was red with yellow trim....which happens to be my favorite colors, so I may finish it the same.
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:45 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
It's a model I have always liked EC, will be following with interest. I have posted your link to the build off thread.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:03 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBoehm View Post
Well I printed the plans out, bought some lumber, and started stripping the wood. This is a rather compact little airplane so I plan on it being a park flyer type model in weight and performance. I'm going full size to the original with slight modifications to the structure in the nose to take an electric motor of course. I just love the shape of the wing. The article says the model was red with yellow trim....which happens to be my favorite colors, so I may finish it the same.
Lovely model, you`ll be well pleased. I`ve built a couple of these in several different sizes and they`ve always flown well. Good luck with your`s.
imp.bob is offline Find More Posts by imp.bob
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
Bob,
I really like that massive one! You flew that on RC right? What did you use for power?

Eric
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:08 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,248 Posts
The Wren's designer also prepared a beautiful large FF model called the "Phoenix". It has 72 inches wingspan and it was published also in Aeromodeller. The Phoenix is very similar to the Wren but much larger and perhaps more difficult to build.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
Yes, I see Outerzone has that plan as well. Looks like a Wren on steroids!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:01 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Quote:
Bob,
I really like that massive one! You flew that on RC right? What did you use for power?

Eric
The larger 108" span I seem to remember flew on a 32 cc. spark ignition engine. The smaller one 54" span is still flying on a 400 series can motor and 3/1 gearbox
, originally with 8 NiMh cells but later and still on a 3 cell LiPo with a suitable Esc.
I was attracted to this model when I first saw one flying free flight in very windy conditions at Middle Wallop. Very impressive!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:04 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I see Outerzone has that plan as well. Looks like a Wren on steroids!
It does seem to be a sized up Wren. The outlines are very similar. I didn`t know about this one when I built my big Wren; I might have been tempted to build a twice size one !
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:14 AM
Bob Imp
UK, Cardiff, Cardiff
Joined Nov 2006
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp.bob View Post
Lovely model, you`ll be well pleased. I`ve built a couple of these in several different sizes and they`ve always flown well. Good luck with your`s.
Just come across a couple more pics. of big Wren. It does look the part, even if I say so myself!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
Just a couple days into this one and making some nice progress. The fuselage is shaping up with many engineering changes to suit RC electric. There's a long way yet to go.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:23 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,980 Posts
Wow Eric, that's quick work! Looks like a classic structure.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:06 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Nice work Eric. I would probably add some gussetry at all the transition points between sheet and stick to reduce the differential in strength, i.e. weak points.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:20 AM
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
Nice work Eric. I would probably add some gussetry at all the transition points between sheet and stick to reduce the differential in strength, i.e. weak points.

sparks
Yes! Actually, I don't like the 1/8" stick main fuselage. I'm rebuilding to 3/16" square. The original plan is 1/8" but with 1/16" sheet all around. I want to keep it open.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
OK, I was busy this weekend. I completely rebuilt the back end with 3?16" firm square. Its much better. I also made progress with the cowl (part of a really light hollow block I had been saving for 25 years) and the tail feathers. I may have to modify that elevator a bit to prevent interference with the rudder. It looked good on paper but I'm not sure now.
I should also mention that the weight as pictured, just the fuselage, tail group, landing gear wire, only weighs 3.9oz. I'm shooting for 25 to 28 ready to fly.
Last edited by ECBoehm; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:45 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,738 Posts
Quote:
OK, I was busty this weekend...
I'll be the first to say 'to each his own'......!

Glad that you also fitted in time for some balsa bashing
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink