SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:19 PM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Question
Spektrum AR-400 RX Near Aluminum Struts

I am getting ready to install an AR-400 RX into a small biplane with aluminum cabane struts and the best place I have to mount it is near one of the rear ones. It's about 2" from the strut and I started wondering if this could affect the signal to it. I am aware of the fact that you can't place the TX close to metal objects such as car trunks or pickup beds, but does this apply to RXs as well?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Alan
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:27 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliegenFrosch View Post
I am getting ready to install an AR-400 RX into a small biplane with aluminum cabane struts and the best place I have to mount it is near one of the rear ones. It's about 2" from the strut and I started wondering if this could affect the signal to it. I am aware of the fact that you can't place the TX close to metal objects such as car trunks or pickup beds, but does this apply to RXs as well?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Alan
You should be fine at 2". I haven't had any problems in over five years of Spektrum flying with receivers closer than that to things like ESC wires. Of course, it's not the receiver that matters but the antennas. You want to have the as far separated as possible, with the active portions at right angles (the last part of the long wire and the whole short wire). As for your struts, don't have the close antenna parallel.

The most important thing is before flying to do a careful reduced power range test with the model in various orientations. If you can get the standard "30 paces" without glitching in any attitude, you should be good to go.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:13 PM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
Thanks Daedalus66 for the quick response. I am planning to mount the RX with the small antenna pointing upwards and the long one going into the back of the fuse. The small antenna won't be parallel to the strut, but about 10* from parallel to it. I suppose another way to mount the RX would be to add a shelf in the fuse and orientate it with the small antenna pointing towards the side and the long one pointing back into the fuselage. Would this be a better way?

Alan
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch