HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,584 Posts
I might not cut the cowl just yet, in case you find you need to move the motor ahead yet due to the cog. Oherwise if it balances fine set back the 1/2" COG issue solved then.

Having fun is what it's all about, go for it!
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Xanadu,

Since you appear to be the only one following this :-)

Long story short, I have figured out that I have a sever Balsa/Ca allergy.

It was stumping me as to why I was laid up for 7+ days everytime I did any heavy sanding on this bird and my last bird.

Until the weather clear up and I can work outside I'm going to have to quit......

Damm***t

This last time my wife was affected and I can't have that.

I'll update/report more as soon as I can get outside to work which luckily will only be a few weeks and we should be up to 75-80 Deg F

yessh.... this sucks.....

S
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:45 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,584 Posts
Well, that just plane sucks.(sic)

Sorry, hard to resist.

Do not kid yourself that I am the only one following this thread. Just because they do not post, does not mean they do not follow your posts.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:00 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Yea, very nice thread S. Google around, maybe there's some ventilation etc that can overcome your allergy.

Best,
Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:36 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Hey guys!

Thanks for Posting Daddy...

I think I'll get back to it soon, we are going to gut the house this weekend and get rid of anything that may or may not be causing the issues then I'll start it back up again doing any gluing and sanding in a more controlled environment or more likely outside. - Warm weather above 65F-70F - (18.3C to 21.1C) for our Metric friends - is only a few weeks away!

Not 100% sure yet but I've done a lot of reading and it is for sure a possibility it's process of elimination.

I'll be back on this project - hopefully soon!

In the mean time I have a few birds to fly, and since I have halted production on the Extra I have Resurrected a 450 Heli I have been putting off for awhile!

Always tinkering with something!

Till then - S
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:55 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Hey folks,

I wanted to update.

we are finally getting into the 70's here and I'll be able to work outside soon.

For now I have switched back to Heli's as I'm not allergic to carbon fiber yet

It may be a few months as the testing I have done has shown that it really is the Balsa and/or CA Glue......and it's not pretty it's only been about 2 weeks I'f been starting to feel better

Anyway, I have a few friends that have volunteered to help out if I just can't do it and I may not be able to, but when it finally comes together I'll be sure to post pics and info as I was just getting to the Good part!

Take care, - S
Old Apr 01, 2013, 06:25 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,584 Posts
Okay, standing by.
Old May 01, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
I just bought one of these off of ebay and will do an e-conversion on it. Any updates?
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old May 01, 2013, 04:36 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
I just bought one of these off of ebay and will do an e-conversion on it. Any updates?

Blue,

well I actually pulled down my first Kit build this week and got it tweaked and I'm going to fly it this weekend. If all is well I'll see if I can figure out a good way to work on this beast.

I don't have much to do sanding wise and I'm hoping if I do it outside in a decent wind all will be well.

It will prolly be a few weeks before I can get to it, other things have popped up in life that are taking some time, - Like my Heli attacking my leg and putting me in the ER

But since I know inquiring minds want to know I'll pull it back out and stare at it again and see what I can figure out, in talking to a good friend that has been flying longer than I've been alive he gave me an idea that is so simple that it makes my drawn out plan look simply silly.

Basically build what I'm going to call the front turtle deck as specified in the plans and then cut out a hatch and use light ply/Balsa to make up the gap after cutting.

Creating additional former and gluing them in place before you cut....

it sounds too easy, but there is a top Fuse plate that I need to include in that process.

Not sure 100% how I'll attack it but give me a bit and I'll see what I can come up with!

- S
Old May 01, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Bummer about your leg - hope you're OK!!

I'm looking forward to the updates of your build and how you make the hatch.
Old May 01, 2013, 06:30 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Bummer about your leg - hope you're OK!!

I'm looking forward to the updates of your build and how you make the hatch.
See post 25 for what I did on my GP P-51 conversion.
Old May 01, 2013, 07:50 PM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post

Xanadu,

My apologies, I had totally forgot about that post, and it is basically just like what my friend had talked about :-)

Not only am I getting clumsy in my age, but forgetful as well!

- S
Old May 01, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Jul 2009
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
I like that, but I worry about having CG flexibility, especially on a sportier plane like the extra. I'd like to try to set it up so I can easily move it fore and aft. But I think your design could easily be modified to do so.
Old May 02, 2013, 06:28 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,584 Posts
Quote:
I like that, but I worry about having CG flexibility, especially on a sportier plane like the extra. I'd like to try to set it up so I can easily move it fore and aft. But I think your design could easily be modified to do so.
Yes, I agree. I lucked out on mine and the cog only needed a 1 ounce at the rear to balance bang on. The pictures just gives you the basic to start with, modify to suit as required. Sometimes easier to see it actually done, than trying to visualize in you mind.
Old May 03, 2013, 10:49 AM
-S-
Joined Jan 2010
1,274 Posts
Well.....

I mentioned I pulled out my other bird and finished it up in hopes to fly this weekend.

I had a small 4 inch section I had to scuff up and cover.

I didn't even produce enough balsa dust to leave a dusting on the table and I'm down sick again.

symptoms are similar, started in the back of the throat just like the last two times.

I think I'm done and back to ARF's

we do have illness spreading around work, so I can't be 100% but it's a bit coincidental.

Slept 14 hours last night, missed work today, going back to bed.

not sure where I'm going from here, it's depressing but I just can't keep putting my heath at risk like this.......

This time there was no CA involved, only light sanding of an area about 4 inches by 4 inches, the nose of my Sportster 60.

I think I may just have to watch you gentlemen and maybe see if I can talk a friend into assisting with finishing mine.

Till then, - S