HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by birdofprey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Discussion
FPV install on the Monitor UAV

It's time now for a bit of fun. Well, I think it's fun. I am installing an RVOSD from Range Video and a Horizon HD V2 video cam in my Monitor UAV airframe. I am also using RF gear from Ready Made RC (RMRC) for the wireless video. I have this airframe listed for sale, but I have many requests for on-board video with and without OSD data, so I figure what the heck, I'll toss the gear in and do it.

I have no affiliation with any of the equipment suppliers except for the airframe (me), so no bias as far as pushing the products. I know there is plenty of good quality gear out there, and I encourage everyone to use what they like.

I started with the rewire of a few components, making adapters and I also put together an anti-vibration mount that is built to hold the OSD on top of it, or I can invert the mount and place the OSD inside of it and have room for the airspeed sensor I installed on top to clear.

For bench testing, and as an emergency back up monitor, I am using a very old Sony Video Watchman. It no-longer works to record, but it does not blue-screen. It is pre-digital TV. To small to fly regularly with but in the event of a video monitor failure it just might save my rear. Picture is really good, but the OSD text is too small to read without strain. I have a Magnavox LCD HD TV that is about 10 years old that also does not blue-screen once it has seen a signal to start with.

This is a discussion, so please feel free to jump in with questions, comments, ideas, and most anything that could be useful or interesting.

For more info on the airframe I am using you can look at one of my previous blog entries, or you can go to www.EdgeRC.com for info.

Justin
justin@edgerc.com
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:44 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Okay, project is on hold. The RVOSD works in every way except throttle. I am really impressed with the work that has gone into the OSD, but the throttle does not function via the OSD so things will sit until repairs to the system are made.

Justin
justin@edgerc.com
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:12 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,465 Posts
Looking great Justin. Did you sort out the RVOSD5 throttle?

I would go on the RVOSD forum, 1000x quicker replies there then on here.
http://rangevideo.com/forum/forumdis...hp?3-RVOSD-FPV

I cant wait to see some 'OSD' info on how this plane flies
Keep us posted
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:33 AM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Yeah, had a bad U4 buffer, and had to replace the L9 Ferrite as well. Just a fluke. The RVOSD is great, and I have been using their forum as well. I have one other issue to deal with regarding the OSD, but other paying customers projects have first priority right now. As soon as I get those finished, I will get back on the UAV/OSD install. I want to get some good video and data on the record. I am contemplating a longer wing with no carbon in it as well. I also have a longer fuselage that gives even more room for payload. If I do both, I will have the better part of an additional airframe done. I will include ailerons and a nearly flat wing if I build the new components/airframe.

But, like I said, customers orders come first, so I have to get those done before any additional progress on this.

Thanks for checking in!

Justin
justin@edgerc.com
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:35 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,465 Posts
Show info before the Chinese New Years is over (China Shutdown)....
the reason is so that we can buy your plane, and not the Chinese!

Hope your OSD info on this plane is Spectacular!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:54 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
I sent the OSD in for replacement. Had some odd trouble with the firmware, so rather than risk losing a plane I am having them send me a new one. I will continue this project when I get the new one back.

Justin
justin@edgerc.com
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:34 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Should have the new OSD back by Monday. I am really looking forward to getting to post some video and numbers from real in-flight conditions.

Justin
justin@edgerc.com
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:48 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,465 Posts
....Lookin' good Justin....Hope that OSD info worksout.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:40 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
The replacement RVOSD showed up today. I had to finish cutting an order of CNC cut wing cores before I was able to do the initial test of the new OSD. I hooked it all up tonight, and so far this one seems to be working much MUCH better than the last. All of the odd issues I had with the last one do not exist with this one. I am pleased. I will work tomorrow to get the aircraft ready to fly, and do some ground testing, but the winds are supposed to be up around 25 mph+, and the next day (Saturday) we are expecting thunderstorms all day with even higher winds. Sunday rain and snow. I am not expecting to get any actual flights in until next week, but I should be able to do some debugging... I hope the weather forecasts are wrong. I really would like to finish this project.

Justin
justin@edgerc.com
Old May 29, 2013, 02:01 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,465 Posts
Hello Justin.

any updates?
Old May 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
Yup, This aircraft is sold. It will be used for Agricultural Remote Sensing. I am adapting the on-board setup to include additional cameras (both still and video). I am including 2 different P&T cameras along with the FPV camera. Other sensors will also be installed depending on the mission it will fly. This is more of what this airframe was intended to do, rather than sport FPV flying. It is a composite workhorse, not a foam toy. Additionally, I am not new to Remote Sensing, with full-scale experience dating back into the late 1980's.

It looks like there may be additional buyers for similar aircraft in the future. I may have to scale up and down to meet the requirements of the missions they may need to fly.

Justin
justin@edgerc.com
Old May 30, 2013, 03:00 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,465 Posts
Thanks for the response!

I'm itching' to get your PLANK twin :-)

p.s.
Is it possible to make it fly average 1hr, cruise at 40mph, hand launch,
wont tip stall easily.....Justin, I love that PlanK Twin FPV/UAV plane!

Only if FPV'ers here know about it more!
Old May 30, 2013, 03:30 PM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
The Twin Plank does not stall, it will simply mush while retaining full control. 1-hour/40mph/hand launch is what you might say 'can be done in its sleep'. It is designed to fly 3-4 hours with the other requirements and much more.

Justin
www.EdgeRC.com
justin@edgerc.com
Old May 30, 2013, 05:15 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,465 Posts
Justin, STOP tempting me

I will PM you about this plane soon.....
I keep wasting my money on RVJet (its my 2nd one).
I could of bought that PLANK by now.....
Old May 30, 2013, 05:20 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,465 Posts
Justin,

anyway to make a "Front Motor Mount" (tractor setup) on the RVJET in place of the PanTilt system?
I can just mount the CCD camera on the top roof.

http://www.rangevideo.com/rvjet.html

The Whole front assembly is removable....