HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:21 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
I say that all the time. But if the guys are flying them, racing them, doing stupid stuff with them I'm in....Do love some nitro though.
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
I owe a lot to ultra micro foamies. I've since become a glow flyer, but I learned how to fly on UM foamies. My first beloved RC plane was an Ember 2, just a little 3 channel thing. Then I learned 4 channel on a Sukhoi SU26XP. After that, a UMX Sbach 342.

I've never used a sim since I run Linux, so I owe so much of my flying capabilities to those foamies. They were invaluable. When I moved to glow, it was shocking how much easier they were to fly aerobatically and 3D than the foamies were. I regard my time with foamies as being formative. I still fly and love the Sbach 342 when I just feel like heading down the block to the park, but I do my serious flying with my glow planes: a OMP Edge 540 profile with a .55AX, a Pacific Aeromodel Edge 540T with an OS FS 82A, a scratch built Tweplica with a Saito .72... and I'm restoring a Funtana S40 right now. Not sure what engine I'll put on her, but it will be a glow... probably 4 stroke.
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Last edited by Billytown; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Elaboration
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billytown View Post
I owe a lot to ultra micro foamies. I've since become a glow flyer, but I learned how to fly on UM foamies. My first beloved RC plane was an Ember 2, just a little 3 channel thing. Then I learned 4 channel on a Sukhoi SU26XP. After that, a UMX Sbach 342.

I've never used a sim since I run Linux, so I owe so much of my flying capabilities to those foamies. They were invaluable. When I moved to glow, it was shocking how much easier they were to fly aerobatically and 3D than the foamies were. I regard my time with foamies as being formative. I still fly and love the Sbach 342 when I just feel like heading down the block to the park, but I do my serious flying with my glow planes: a OMP Edge 540 profile with a .55AX, a Pacific Aeromodel Edge 540T with an OS FS 82A, a scratch built Tweplica with a Saito .72... and I'm restoring a Funtana S40 right now. Not sure what engine I'll put on her, but it will be a glow... probably 4 stroke.
That sukhoi is a handful. almost impossible without expo. Sbach, awesome. ember, awesome first plane.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilem View Post
That sukhoi is a handful. almost impossible without expo. Sbach, awesome. ember, awesome first plane.
When learning to fly the Sukhoi (which was the first time I had flown 4-channel), all I had was the cheap black DSM radio that came with the Ember. No expo! It had dual rates, though, which did help... I remember that first (very short) flight. I remember thinking to myself, "I've made a huge mistake." But I stuck at it. Burned through three motors and thought about trying a brushless conversion. I flew that thing a LOT before I got the Sbach and a DX6i.
Billytown is offline Find More Posts by Billytown
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:41 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I bought a FW190 60 size 82 Saito, it sounds like an airplane.

This feels more like flying.
I bougt an 85" WS FW190A & it's going to have a Saito FA450R3 radial.

It should sound like an airplane too.

All I fly, or have flown, (since I got into R/C 15 years ago) have been Saito 4-strokes. Can't even stand to watch electrics fly on YT, stroke glow is about as bad & 2-stroke gas still leaves me cold.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Last edited by SrTelemaster; Feb 01, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Jun 2008
182 Posts
You have a very small RC world. It is much bigger out there, really.

Kurt
kbozarth is offline Find More Posts by kbozarth
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:09 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,099 Posts
I have enjoyed the foam planes my first year of flying. Now that I have progressed a little, I am selling off the foam electric warbirds and replacing them with larger wood fossil fuel ones.

This is a very diversified hobby. There are avenues of involvement for every level of participant.

Example; I am selling off my electric PZ 43" T28 and today I maiden my 58" CMP T34 (OS 61)
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:20 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbozarth View Post
You have a very small RC world. It is much bigger out there, really.

Kurt
Not small at all. I like the scale sound. When they start putting 2-strokes in full sized aircraft, (other than ultralights) then I will use 2-strokes.

4-strokes cover everthing from .30 for small airframes to the big 400cc Moki radials.

That will cover a large spectrum of R?C aircraft.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:24 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
I fly them all. I like my foamies for out in the yard flying mostly.
I have leccy's, glow and gasoline
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:46 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,099 Posts
Right on, I have been selling off a collection of foam warbirds to make room for larger fuel powered war birds, Love this hobby and all of it's limitless levels of involvement.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4
Last edited by scootrb4; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
i will never be done with foam...Its just to easy and way to much fun.. right now we are racing the Hobby king sky angel warbirds...620 mm wingspan 90+ MPH out of the box. 50-80$ PNP

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...20&currentPage

the rare bear unpainted no ESC or servoes 51.00