SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:54 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMET 44 View Post
You did such a nice job on the tail feathers with building a outline frame work.Why would you want to cover it up and add more balsa? I would have left the open frame work.
Two reasons:
1) I hate covering with a passion. I used to build free flight models when I was younger and there were always wrinkles somewhere on my planes.
2) I want to try some finishing techniques inherited from control line stunt modeling. I doubt I will get as smooth a finish as these guys, since I can't use dope, but I will try!

Quote:
You'll be adding DEAD NOSE Weight to balance the plane).
You'd be surprised how little weight is added at the back -- it just looks heavy.

The framework is really thin (1/16") and the 1/16" balsa added to each side was sanded down heavily into an airfoil shape. If I had used covering material, I would have had to make the framework stronger and heavier anyway.

Quote:
But looking nice so far.
Thanks! Just wait until I get the nose done...
V-Man is offline Find More Posts by V-Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:47 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Now I remember one of the things I hated when building freefight models: cutting notches in thin formers and ribs for stringers. Makes me pine for a nice, well done laser-cut kit.

But hey, it's done, which means I can proceed to assembling the wing.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:53 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
A quick project update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man View Post
Makes me pine for a nice, well done laser-cut kit.
I'm still waiting for my motor and ESC, so I did just that. Currently assembling a nice Albatross DII, first laser-cut kit, and it saves so much work!

Quote:
I can proceed to assembling the wing.
Which I actually did, until I realized that:
a) I hadn't figured out my landing gear mount
b) I forgot to cut several parts, mostly on the tip.

So I got started on the Albatross instead. But has soon as the latter's fuselage is dry and off the board, I'm going back to the Lucky 13 wing.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:53 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Still spending time on the Albatross (tail group is done and I've started on the upper fuse), but I decided to do a bit of progress on this one too.

The forward fuse was soaked and bent around a bottle slightly smaller than the planned spinner. The top and bottom will be done with balsa blocks, hollowed out.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:44 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
According to the tracking number, the motor and ESC have been stuck at the post office for more than a week now. So annoying! I can't even drive there and ask for it, they won't release the package until it's been processed.

Looking at the fuselage, I wondering whether I should make a removable cowling for the front end, instead of just a top hatch. It would make maintenance and engine replacement easier. I'd only need to add a former, dowels and magnets for location/hold. Thoughts?
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:51 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Motor and ESC have finally arrived, so construction is back on.

I've decided to make the forward cowling removable for easy motor maintenance. I will add two new formers, one to serve as the new firewall, the other to hold the shape of the cowling (obviously, this one will have a great big hole in the center). Dowels and screws will hold it in place. Pics to follow.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Had a few hours to myself today so I decided to work on the Lucky 13 for a change, putting the Albatross aside for the moment.

Not much to see right now, I just glued the bottom spars to the sheeting, then added the ribs on top. Once dried, I added the top spar and curved the bottom sheeting in place. Before adding the top sheet, I will set up the aileron servos and the hinges. The wingtips will be built separately and added later; with the ailerons, they will provide the semi-elliptical shape for the wing.

While waiting for the glue to set, I made some adjustments to the dihedral joiners. They will be inserted and glued in place once both wing panels are complete.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 08:06 AM
Old retired Electronics Fart
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Mar 2007
426 Posts
I've been keeping a eye on your blog and haven't seen any updates.
Hope all is doing good ?

Have you done a maiden yet ?

CharlesB
Charles B is offline Find More Posts by Charles B
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:40 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles B View Post
I've been keeping a eye on your blog and haven't seen any updates.
Hope all is doing good ?
Haven't had time to work on the plane, unfortunately. My spare time and workspace are both limited, and with the flying season now upon us I spend more of both on preparing and repairing planes than building new ones...

But it's definitely not abandoned and this build log will pick up. Thanks for watching!