Fast Mahogany Boat

r/c boat (1 min 50 sec)

Legend Model Boat
californiakid is offline Find More Posts by californiakid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,140 Posts
Sounds and looks like your driving with a straight shaft submerged prop? Are you using a surface prop; the way it rides can be tweaked with the right prop so you can run full throttle without fear of flipping.
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:59 PM
mahoganyfan
United States, NJ, Atlantic City
Joined Nov 2010
610 Posts
Amp abuser

Yes it is a submerged prop ,straight shaft with a 637 x Octura prop.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,140 Posts
Here is the Octura prop chart, there are some dedicated submerged running props that may improve the ride at full throttle. The X series props are all shaped to perform on the surface; they do lift quite a bit when you have plenty motah.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:04 PM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
610 Posts
Octura Chart

Thanks Amp Abuser,I might try a different prop now.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
Steps? What steps?
Joined Jan 2010
211 Posts
The boat runs very well for what it is - a scale model. Overpowered like it is, it will hop and skip regardless of the prop used. The Octura X props are about the lowest lift props Octura makes. When running fully submerged, a prop's lifting characteristics don't matter anyway since the thrust cone is surrounded by water. Only when run in surfacing conditions will a prop lift - because the top of the thrust cone is not contributing to forward movement.

Slowing the boat down a bit will keep it on the water unless you want to completely re-do the drive system to a parallel surfacing drive. Racers running Crackerbox boats - similar in hull form - have done this to reduce any hopping. But that just doesn't seem right on a nice scale boat like this one.....

zozer is offline Find More Posts by zozer
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,140 Posts
Octura submerged prop vs X series prop.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:11 PM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
610 Posts
x series prop

Thanks again Amp Abuser,maybe I should try a different prop or maybe blueprinting the bottom of hull to get any waves or gullies out of it.I was told by a friend the boat might run better then.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:18 PM
Steps? What steps?
Joined Jan 2010
211 Posts
Quote:
Octura submerged prop vs X series prop.
Sadly, those props will cavitate badly at the rpm the OP will be using, they are low pitch/low rpm props. As stated above, prop 'lift' means nothing with a fully submerged prop anyway.

Hey, what do I know, I've just been designing and racing (and winning) FE boats for thirty years. BTW the information I posted came from my friend Tom, the owner and designer of Octura props.

zozer is offline Find More Posts by zozer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:54 PM
mahoganyfan
Joined Nov 2010
610 Posts
Advice

Thanks Zozer for advice.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:35 PM
Hoffy1980
United States, IL, Maroa
Joined Jan 2013
61 Posts
zozer, what would a good drive and motor for a 20 in. deep vee be? you are saying underwater prop is bad? if so would I need a shaft going out the back at the bottom? Thanks for any help. I wouldnt mind playing around and finding what I though was best for me but its a little costly. I was wanting to run 2s batterys. just need some idea on motor prop and size of running gear. I will buy most of my stuff from china on first boat . If it goes well will buy better stuff for a bigger one.
hoffy1980 is offline Find More Posts by hoffy1980