SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by CoolerByTheLake, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:18 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
Discussion
New Direction!--E-Scorpion

Life has thrown me a curve ball-- a small stroke just before Christmas. So a need for a minor change in my building. The Sabre is on hold for now, low on cash and not yet able to do the detail work I need to finish the sabre. Right arm not up to it yet! So I thought I would try a scratch foamy.

Had been looking for a subject to model, and had seen one that Hoover or die had built. I too have always liked the lines of this plane, just as Hoover or die did. His thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=e+scorpion A good 90mm size. i did get a start on it before my stroke, whch as it turns out, was a good thing. The one from Aviation Design is Length =59" WS= 49" , mine will be 60" long, WS 52", just a little bigger.

Looking at cutting cores for wing. stabs, and tails. Using FFF for most all else. Guessing AUW around 10lb or so, so needed a little larger wing area. JetFan 90 / Het 700-68-1200KV 12s, Rhom-air retracts. Had thought 1680Kv on 8s might be OK, but our field is grass and the extra power won't hurt. 12s add about 1lb more, but close to 12lb thrust, instead of 9lb. Worth the penalty, I guess. I do need to get a few things, but it will not break the bank. I did have all the templats cut for air foils and plans drawn up. I could not do that now. Any way here's what I have so far. I am afraid this build will take awhile, not as fast as I once was!

Now I just have to clean my work area. Left it quite a mess when I had to go to the hospital. Hope to start on this in the next few days. Thanks for stopping by.
Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; May 29, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:40 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,920 Posts
My thoughts are with you, buddy. I sympathize, fighting arthritis in my neck, which affects the radial nerve controlling my right thumb and forefinger.

May your body heal completely and quickly.

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:34 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,069 Posts
Cooler your doing all the research, Whats your take on those drawings? You posted in the scratch build thread. The airfoil looks lower on the fuselage on thatside profile compared to those wing images.

Is there some anhedral going on? Its looks like it should be flush. Im not trying to take any wind from your sails, Im actually trying to help with some cross section.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by D_FAST; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
D_FAST,I apperciate the help, thanks. You are correct, it is lower and the reason is the drawings are of the the bigger turbine ones, they have plug-in wings. The E-Scorpion has a one-piece removable wing. Haven't quit worked that out myself. I do know which airfoil however, NACA 1410 -- 10.5% or 11% .

Here's a little collection of photo's that may help, it's all I have to work on myself. That and imagination!

Yesterday I did happen across one of the OP's from the (e-scorpion for 90mm) thread. I am going to PM to see if he may still have the E-Scorpion, if not maybe some more photo's, could really use one of the bottom! It's too bad that they used the black and yellow one for some many pics, it might be pretty, but can't make out alot of the detail I'm after. Her they are, in all there glory!
Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
You should be getting the numbers soon. Here's all I have to work with. The 2-view drawing, and wing. Have fun!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:54 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1,578 Posts
Im trying to contacr phoenix aviation for an e-scorpion. No answer so far... How xqn I reach rhem???
pavlis is offline Find More Posts by pavlis
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:42 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,297 Posts
no rudder or flaps, correct?
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
Yes., will have both , right here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...37&postcount=6

Rodger, here's a couple for you.
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
Its been awhile since I posted here so this is what I have been up to the last week or two! I had started the fuse only to find out one side was a little short in height. not much only 3/16" , but too much. Re-did fuse up to the point I had it. Now the fun starts. Was advised that thrust tube and horiz stabs be at 0°. Will cover that in build thread. Any way, stabs at 0°, vertical stabs- 26° outward cant. Had to make a thrust tube and exit ring, for that. Now 3 formers, two to accept stab spars, and third, to hold plate for vert stab mount. Lots of and lots of measuring. Need to put layer of glass on bottom and sides to hold formers, not sure the foam it self will support the loads, will also keep fuse from twisting.

It's been a challange, but almost there with this part. Photos to follow in build thread. thought I could have finished this last night, NOT!! But tonight for sure. Back to work.
Old May 15, 2013, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
Text later on.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:16 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,069 Posts
paint scheme blanks

I hope these works for you.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
Brian have a look. A lttle description. From root chord

1st orange line-- both panels cut off here to fit saddle--ply cap glued on
2nd orange line- dihedral brace-- 2' back from cap, also accepts dowell from ply cap (wing mount)
3rd orange line--1/8" 6-ply, ply, 2- part ribs mortise and tenon into it. May join it with other panel using front/back plates at center .

Gear bay ---3" x 3 1/2" --big enough?
Flap---3 1/2" x 3 1/4" x 9 3/4" Approx sq in= 33.5 = 13.95% of total wing area
Aileron-- 3 1/4 x 3" x 7" Approx sqin= 23.75 = 9.89% total wing area
Is this enough??
Brian, I know you have seen the video of the Scorpion landing--with-out flaps, but speed brake, kind of floats in. With your experience should I decrease flaps size , increase ailerons? Or just about OK?

Not the retracts I will use, this just happened to be about right length. Have Spring-Air 102 HD's with Robostruts. 660's (straight) on mains, 661 (off set) on NG

First though of using flying stabs, stabulators, what ever you want to call them
so I had got the Hitec HS-645MG's for that. Changd my mind, going with HS-225MG's in stabs-elevators only. Now for flaps I can use either the HS-645MG(133oz/in) or the HS-225MG (69oz/in) All power from LiFe 6.6V Ailerons will use HS-225MG (69oz/in)

Really would like your opinion.
Mark
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Jul 23, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:10 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,002 Posts
Usually you see the dihedral brace placed around the center of the root. I based my wing on the Electra or the Bandit below and have the Spars tied into the gear mount. Not saying yours won't work, just different than I usually see.

Everything else looks fine. Jets with aileron way out on the tips don't need them to be very big so no need to make them any larger.....look at an f4. They have really small ailerons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Brian have a look. A lttle description. From root chord

1st orange line-- both panels cut off here to fit saddle--ply cap glued on
2nd orange line- dihedral brace-- 2' back from cap, also accepts dowell from ply cap (wing mount)
3rd orange line--1/8" 6-ply, ply, 2- part ribs mortise and tenon into it. May join it with other panel using front/back plates at center .

Gear bay ---3" x 3 1/2" --big enough?
Flap---3 1/2" x 3 1/4" x 9 3/4" Approx sq in= 33.5 = 13.95% of total wing area
Aileron-- 3 1/4 x 3" x 7" Approx sqin= 23.75 = 9.89% total wing area
Is this enough??
Brian, I know you have seen the video of the Scorpion landing--with-out flaps, but speed brake, kind of floats in. With your experience should I decrease flaps size , increase ailerons? Or just about OK?

Not the retracts I will use, this just happened to be about right length. Have Spring-Air 102 HD's with Robostruts. 660's (straight) on mains, 661 (off set) on NG

First though of using flying stabs, stabulators, what ever you want to call them
so I had got the Hitec HS-645MG's for that. Changd my mind, going with HS-225MG's in stabs-elevators only. Now for flaps I can use either the HS-645MG(133oz/in) or the HS-225MG (69oz/in) All power from LiFe 6.6V Ailerons will use HS-225MG (69oz/in)

Really would like your opinion.
Mark
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Oct 19, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,402 Posts
Got side tracked a bit. Before I can buy any batteries, I need a way to charge them. This system came up in a thread I started on "Which caharge".
Old Oct 20, 2013, 06:23 AM
Joined Feb 2013
1,578 Posts
that's a great station there...
I have the Icharger but I think the PL-8 is an upgrade.
we will see...
pavlis is offline Find More Posts by pavlis