HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2003
74 Posts
Seagull Models ARF

Here is my first slimer in 15 years. I have been flying (and loving) electric. But They don't like them at my local flying feild So i got this to fly out there. $150. The most complete kit I have ever bought. Push rods installed, "pods" with 4 screws for ailerons. The biggest job was dremeling the cowl. Have a .61 in it. Looking for the maiden on Christmas, or the following weekend. Great quality and work. I recomend anyone to at least look at them
Darren
darrenb is offline Find More Posts by darrenb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2003, 03:56 PM
Joined Dec 2003
74 Posts
Size...
Old Dec 22, 2003, 07:41 PM
Morristown,TN
Joined Oct 2003
290 Posts
tite

Kevin
P.S. no on answer my question :-(
glowpwer flyer is offline Find More Posts by glowpwer flyer
Old Dec 22, 2003, 07:42 PM
Morristown,TN
Joined Oct 2003
290 Posts
Oh by way love the plane *cheering appluade*'
'

Kevin
glowpwer flyer is offline Find More Posts by glowpwer flyer
Old Dec 22, 2003, 09:28 PM
Jackson Tn.
Joined Nov 2003
12 Posts
Word the wise......

Re-inforce the landing gear blocks and firewall.
I like this plane!
I bought 1 this past Mon. and flew it Fri.!
Also have OS 61 FX.

I say re-inforce cause after a last min decision Sun. to recharge and fly again before sundown, I just forgot to refuel.

Would have been ok if Id nosed down and landed straight ahead in the rough ,.... NAAAW, .....I gotta turn around and head for the nice burmuda carpet,....and stalled. After a 40' plummit, gained enough airspeed to make the elevator somewhat effective, ended up with a hard, level drop from a couple feet.
If itd been kit built I coulda refueled instead of looking like a fool walking past my buds with the pieces of my new toy under different arms!

Shell fly again Sat though, great flyin bird.

Turn the throws down on the elevator and ailerons for the 1st flight though, or, you may be a little supprised .

Good luck!
flap is offline Find More Posts by flap
Old Dec 22, 2003, 09:33 PM
Jackson Tn.
Joined Nov 2003
12 Posts
P.S.
Somebody @ Seagulls needs to learn how to match the decals (color / size) with the fuses!
I noticed you didnt use the goofy lookin things either.
I had the same problem with the Edge 540, the colors matched better, but, the size of the letters were rediculous, IMO.
flap is offline Find More Posts by flap
Old Jan 05, 2004, 03:57 PM
Seymour, IN
Joined Nov 2003
40 Posts
My Seagull Edge is just about ready for the field, when the field dries, the wind quits and the temperature is over 60 degrees. The kit is very good, the covering is good, color matching could be better and the graphics are goofy. What do we expect from the newest company in R/C and from Viet Nam? It is cost effective, looks like an Edge and is STRAIGHT !
Corsair Driver is offline Find More Posts by Corsair Driver
Old Jan 05, 2004, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 2003
74 Posts
I had my maiden yesturday. I couldn't be more happy! My elevator and ailerons needed just one click of trim to fly true. Great flight, great landing, great plane. For the most complete plane I have ever bought, and at $150 LHS price, I am truely amazed. Not only where the hinges installed on the controll surfaces, they where PRE-PINNED!!!. Again, love the plane!

Darren
Old Jan 05, 2004, 04:11 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
darren,

Flap is absolutely correct. Reinforce the landing gear. I fly a Seagull Spacewalker, and on my 3-4 landing, the gear collapsed and tore up the firewall.

This was a "near-greaser" landing, and the gear just folded up.

I re-covered the plane abouit a week ago, and was disappointed in the poor quality of balsa . . . . very soft through-out.

It IS a great flying plane, though.

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jan 05, 2004, 11:47 PM
Joined Dec 2003
27 Posts
"I re-covered the plane abouit a week ago, and was disappointed in the poor quality of balsa . . . . very soft through-out."

By soft do you mean flexible? I'm trying to get my girl into RC, and seagull has just the right price...

PS, I'd love to hear how that edge flies. Is it capable of 3-D, or just for sporting around?
BMGBeetle is offline Find More Posts by BMGBeetle
Old Jan 06, 2004, 09:11 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BMGBeetle
[B. . . . . By soft do you mean flexible? . . . .[/B]
No . . . . IMO, all balsa is flexible. What I found is that the balsa was "punky". The formers should be fairly "stiff" but in the Seagull they are extremely soft.

Don't get me wrong . . . . I love the plane. I've flown the model for 4 years now. It's just that the materials could be better.

But, by all means you need to reinforce the UC (for your own good).

VP

PS It also looks like they used an abundance of glue-stick in hte assembly. Fast for the builder, but how good is the glue job???
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2003
74 Posts
I have to say though, many things have changed in great ways for us over the recent past. If your plane had so-so wood and is four years old, it is very possible it is better now. (not saying it is, but maybe) I'm also going to post a picture of my undercarrige tonight. I'm wondering if it is different. It seemed pretty burly to me when checking it last night. I have no problem reinforcing it, it looks easy to do, and I am a tad tail heavy anyway

Also, BMG, just wanted to point out that despite any issues, everyone agrees this is a great plane for the price. I looked at some sort of trainer they make (forget the name) And it was a great looking plane to.

Darren
Old Jan 06, 2004, 10:36 AM
Joined Dec 2003
74 Posts
Oh, here is a link to some Seagull models you can get.

http://www.minicars.se/Seagull/SG.htm

(scroll to the bottom for the links)
Old Jan 06, 2004, 03:06 PM
Seymour, IN
Joined Nov 2003
40 Posts
One of the things not yet mentioned is the "open" area behind the firewall, in which the fuel tank is located and mounted. In the Edge, nothing is fuel proofed. All formers, firewall and everything needs to be fuel proofed. A leaking fuel tank would be "very bad."
Based on previous suggestions, I need to look at the gear mounting area. My previous Extras all had an affinity for shedding the landing gear....nothing to do with improper landing techniques however.
I will also have to "rethink" the dual elevator servo mounting and linkages. Although both servos are the same make and model, they do not move the elevator halves equally.
Corsair Driver is offline Find More Posts by Corsair Driver
Old Jan 06, 2004, 05:56 PM
Joined Dec 2003
74 Posts
Speaking of leaking fuel tanks...

Another suggestion is to dump the "3" hole tank that comes with it and goto a 2 hole tank, and a fuel fill valve. The 3 holes tend to leak more often then the 2's.