SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
240 Posts
Discussion
home made cnc foam cutter

Im horrible when it comes to real fine details. I use $tree foam for most of my builds and I almost always jack something up with crooked cuts and so on. I want a cheap and easy way to be able to lay out a sheet of $tree foam and hit "print" and end up with quality, even and true parts that actually glue together like the plans call for. Is there a kit out there that I can buy/assemble that will give me that ability. Ive googled until Im blind and I cannot seem to find what I want.
DEBAY777 is offline Find More Posts by DEBAY777
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
43 Posts
Hi Debay777

There is a tool you might look at . It is called a Phlat Cutter Here is the link.

http://www.phlatboyz.com/Phlat-Cutter_p_39.html

Hope this helps

Carlos G
Carlos G is offline Find More Posts by Carlos G
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:10 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBAY777 View Post
I I want a cheap and easy way to be able to lay out a sheet of $tree foam and hit "print" and end up with quality, even and true parts that actually glue together like the plans call for.
It may be better for you to use a cutting service if you have one in your area.
Either way you have to create a cutting file, and this would be a good way to try it out.
But if you really want to build a cutter, Google diy cnc and you'll find plenty.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:36 PM
United States, IA, Spencer
Joined Jul 2004
40 Posts
You cant go wrong with this one http://www.phlatboyz.com/
I own both the Platprinter one and the Phlatprinter \\\ .

Never regreted my purchase of either machine
juzchillin is online now Find More Posts by juzchillin
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:01 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
It may be better for you to use a cutting service if you have one in your area.
Either way you have to create a cutting file, and this would be a good way to try it out.
But if you really want to build a cutter, Google diy cnc and you'll find plenty.
I agree with whiskers on this. Be a very expensive purchase to have it end up sitting around if you are unable to get it running. I almost got a Phlat Printer but since I only us Macs I cant run one but there is a member search on the phlat boyz site and you may find someone near you who may be able to help get you started.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:06 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
542 Posts
They arent selling either model currently.
They are investing their time in re-engineering the unit for metal construction.
Too bad, I was thinking to buy one recently too.

Eta may be 3-6+ months apparently.
A shame
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics