HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Discussion
T-Rex 450 Kit Build Questions

Going to start a T-Rex 450 build. This will be my first heli build and have some questions on the type of oil/grease, glue, and thread lock.

1st question; the manual shows where to apply "oil", but in the text it will say grease. If it's oil, what type? If it's grease, what type?

2nd; thread lock, the kit came with some, it is red in color. Should I use this or apply some blue thread lock? The red stuff is fairly permanent in my experience.

3rd and last; the manual references R48 and then calls it two different things: "Apply Anaerobics Retainer to fix." and "R48 metal tubular adhesive (eg. Bearings)."

I found a build thread and the person is using dielectric tune up grease for the oil/grease requirement and blue thread locker but no mention of the R48 mystery juice.

Thanks in advance.
6.7 4ever is offline Find More Posts by 6.7 4ever
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,434 Posts
My experience with two Align helis is the blue stuff (which came with them) is for all screws that go into metal. They mention cyano (anaerobic retainer, I guess) for screws going into plastic, but I've never used it because they seem to be tight enough and vibration-proof anyway -- getting them out is a problem, without any glue

With a shaft-drive heli, a small drop of cyano (or equivalent) is used to fix the bearing onto the torque tube before sliding the assembly into tail boom.

Grease was only required for the bearings in the feathering shaft, which come in three separate pieces.

From time to time, usually when re-assembling after a crash or maintenance, I wipe some "dry" oil, usually sold in bicycle shops, onto the shafts with a cloth. Regular oil, and too much of it, is bad because it attracts dirt.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Thanks abenn for the clarification. I'll guess I'll just use some high quality white grease for now.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:38 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
I have been using Rem-oil (for guns). Guns have the same issues with lubricating metal-to-metal parts while not attracting dirt, so by my logic, that makes it good for helis.

Plus, it comes in a spray can with a little red plastic tube, so it's great for hard to reach areas.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Now that's a very good idea and totally makes sense. Hope Hoppe's will work as good as Remington. LOL
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:32 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
For the feathering shaft I use RED thread locker, use a paper clip and apply it to the thread on the inside of the feathering shaft before you assemble the head. I apply Gear Lube to the outside of the feathering shaft so that it does not stick to the thrust bearings.

I used blue threadlocker on EVERy screw in the head tail and frame if it goes into metal and I use plastic thread locker (permatex brand) for any screw that goes into plastic.

I also use micro beqaring oil (the kind that comes in the bottle with the syringe applicator) for all bearings and moving parts. You only need about a drop.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:07 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn View Post
My experience with two Align helis is the blue stuff (which came with them) is for all screws that go into metal. They mention cyano (anaerobic retainer, I guess) for screws going into plastic, but I've never used it because they seem to be tight enough and vibration-proof anyway -- getting them out is a problem, without any glue
Cyano is the clear stuff that's like superglue right? When i was putting the boom braces together and sliding the rods into the metal eyes, the glue had started to set before i even finished putting it in. Use with caution. Jam it in as quick as you can and worry about how you're going to get your fingers unstuck afterwards.

I haven't used it on the frame because i was worried the screw would get stuck before i was half way in.
Hajile is offline Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:58 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,434 Posts
Cyano is superglue You can get different versions, which are thicker and set slower. Like I said, I've never used it on screws myself.

As others have mentioned, there are some thread lockers designed for metal screws into plastic, but I've never found the need for it.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn